This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AUCTION RITUALS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AUCTION RITUALS
    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:35pm
When you guys attend a "farmer/retirement" sale, other than the obvious engine dipstick check, do you pull the "sticks" for the hydraulic/tranny compartments also? I am inquiring on a 100 series tractor for my question, but ALL models are welcome. If so, other than the color/aroma of said fluids,what would you be "leery" of? Thanks
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

When you guys attend a "farmer/retirement" sale, other than the obvious engine dipstick check, do you pull the "sticks" for the hydraulic/tranny compartments also? I am inquiring on a 100 series tractor for my question, but ALL models are welcome. If so, other than the color/aroma of said fluids,what would you be "leery" of? Thanks

ANYTHING THE AUCTIONEER SAYS...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:52pm
Someone that cares about maintenance typically list the hours and date of change on a filter, something I look for when viewing a unit. This gives me an idea on maint. if the unit is "still currently in use".
When I see an ad, or unit in person that has rust on the outside of a filter, I walk away but that's just me. A small flashlight held by someone on the engine side of the rad while you view how easy it is to see through it from the front can also give an idea on maintenance.
Short of working it to run it thru the gears, most any auction is a crap shoot so you take your chances and bid accordingly  . . . .
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 6:02pm
If I was dead serious I would try to look at it the day before or get there early. Also usually there is always some guy usually “that guy” that will be all over the machine and I just shadow him and watch closely without acting like I am too serious about the machine. Around here it’s a big poker game going to auctions and if you want it you can’t let them see it. It’s got to the point I can’t really look at Allis stuff without someone taking note and then running the bids up. But that’s just here.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 10:06pm
Both 7000 series I bought had leaking top tanks on the radiators. They did not have visible signs of leaking and I don't know how you could take a close look without being obvious to the "competition". Maybe 100 series don't have those problems. I did not care who saw me check hydraulic fluids. Many others check from my observations.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:30am
most any auction is a crap shoot so you take your chances and bid accordingly

This is true!! and no they don't tell you of the problems! They want top dollar and do whatever they have to in getting it!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:38am
Red Bank, ditto here! 100% of the auctions I've been to, some one or other finds what they want and they (and sometimes their family as well) literally sits on the piece. They glare at anyone that comes near. Every once in awhile I have a little fun when I see it happen, especially if they're giving someone a hard time about looking at it; I go over, look excited, pull out my cell phone and (without dialing of course) tell my brother-in-law that he has to get over here NOW and bring all the money he can get his hands on, that whichamajigger he's been searching for is RIGHT HERE!!! Anyways...
herm0016 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herm0016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:00am
don't go to an auction with expectations. I latest one had people paying 13k for a gas 4x4 gater with over 10k hours on the broken meter... 450 for a old rusty back blade,  150 each for rusty and bent 12 foot cattle panels.

I picked up a camp chef 2 burner propane stove for 35 bucks though 
5020 MFWD Power steering
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 2:12pm
Years ago I was standing by an 806 at a consignment sale. 2 guys past retirement age are inspecting it with extreme enthusiasm. One notes to the other how good the oil looks. The guy next to me blurts out to them that he saw someone change the oil while it was sitting here. It really took the wind out of their sails.
He was full of crap, but it could of happened.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Nathan (SD) Nathan (SD) wrote:

Years ago I was standing by an 806 at a consignment sale. 2 guys past retirement age are inspecting it with extreme enthusiasm. One notes to the other how good the oil looks. The guy next to me blurts out to them that he saw someone change the oil while it was sitting here. It really took the wind out of their sails.
He was full of crap, but it could of happened.

LOL!! Did the guy "next to you" take the tractor home ??
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 5:07pm
I was at an auction where there was a decent 7030 selling, estate sell,, had a leak on a fuel line, I checked it out had a pillars, and tighten it up, pissed him off, went back a little later same leak, tighten it back up,, a perfect loser there
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 5:18pm
Ya know, there were reasons we got wuppins when we were kids.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 5:48pm
I've bought a good number of tractors at auctions over the years,nothing different than buying anywhere else really.Just check it over if you can,get to the auction real early so you can see what is going on and maybe meet someone that knows something about the tractor and isn't trying to buy it.Most auction tractors I have bought have turned out to be pretty good deals.Some real good deals like the two MM Z tractors one with new tires I bought for $25 each.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 6:23pm
If I'm interested in a tractor at an auction, I try to check every fluid in the tractor for level and contamination. I check the whole tractor for signs of leaks. I check the general condition, including the sheet metal. I look the whole tractor over for signs of previous repairs and welds. If possible, I start the tractor  before it is sold and do my personal evaluation of how it starts, shifts, clutch adjustment, hydraulics, PTO, steering, brakes, etc. I check closely the condition of rear rims and tires. 

If it has a tach, I look at the hours on it and look at the pedals, drawbar and three point hitch arms to see if I think the hours are right. 

I look at the condition of the other equipment at the auction to see if it looks like it has been well cared for or abused.

In short, I try to evaluate an auction tractor the same way I would buy from any other tractor that is for sale. I decide what my top bid will be and I try to stick to that when it's being sold.

I don't get into the "head games" from others. If it's something I want and I think it's in the right price range, I buy it. Otherwise, I pass and let someone else own it.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 6:28pm
Was at an auction, today, watched some dumbass spend $275 on a set of these...

Correction, the $275 auction set was standard, only...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 22 Jun 2019 at 6:30pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 8:12pm
Around here at an auction tools usually bring more than they are worth because Fred ain't gonna let john buy that set of tools for nothing and runs him up. I see it all the time.  I make up my mind what I am going to pay and quit when I reach that limit.  I have made several good buys on tractors at auctions.  Just my observation.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 12:12am
Don't wear your "going to an AC show" clothes to the auction.

I hate chattel auctions when you waste the whole day waiting for an item or two.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 7:43am
I dislike Buyers Premium so much that I will not go to an auction that uses it. If everyone did the same it would disappear.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 7:44am
When you go to a dealer, that tractor has been cleaned, polished, oil leaks covered up and dirty oil changed. So which tractor do you want? One in work clothes or one just warring a suite? The dealer will tell you just what you want to hear.        MACK
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

I dislike Buyers Premium so much that I will not go to an auction that uses it. If everyone did the same it would disappear.

Honestly what difference does it make? Mentally figure I will spend up to X dollars just add in the buyers premium. Just like trucking would you pay the same for a tractor in California as the next county over?
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 8:36am

X2 I can see it for credit /debit card costs but that's it. Another thing is I'm seeing Auctioneers /Realters double dip taking their Auctioneers % and Real Estate brokers % on property sales.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

When you go to a dealer, that tractor has been cleaned, polished, oil leaks covered up and dirty oil changed. So which tractor do you want? One in work clothes or one just warring a suite? The dealer will tell you just what you want to hear.        MACK

I agree Mack. 

At an auction everything is being sold. It isn't something that was traded in that may have a serious problem. 

At an auction, you can tell a lot by looking at the other equipment and the place in general. If everything is is disrepair, chances are more than good the tractors didn't have excellent care or maintenance.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 8:33pm
My brother says the best auction to go to is a dead man's auction. Family is selling everything and everything goes . Not selling because it is wore out or junk .Not as fond of Downsizing sales where they don't sell everything and there are reserves if they don't bring what the seller wants. Hardly go to auctions anymore. Whatever I bid on goes up , up , and away .
Main thing at any auction is to make sure you can see who you are bidding against
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 8:54pm
Pats brother is right! Absolute auctions are best
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:36am
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Honestly what difference does it make? Mentally figure I will spend up to X dollars just add in the buyers premium. Just like trucking would you pay the same for a tractor in California as the next county over?

I agree I don't see the big deal about Buyers Premiums,I'm only going to pay a certain amount total for something.Why would I care how the money is split up? I actually am inclined to attend auctions with Buyers Premiums because I know a lot of people won't
show up because of it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:41am
Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

My brother says the best auction to go to is a dead man's auction. Family is selling everything and everything goes . Not selling because it is wore out or junk .Not as fond of Downsizing sales where they don't sell everything and there are reserves if they don't bring what the seller wants. Hardly go to auctions anymore. Whatever I bid on goes up , up , and away .
Main thing at any auction is to make sure you can see who you are bidding against

Must be a lot of people that feel the same way because  things from a "Dead Man's
Sale" will go high most times. I've bought some of my best biggest bargains at
Consignment Auctions BTW especially in the Fall and early Winter when people are hunting,spending money on the holidays etc.Another good time is in Summer when the temperature is in the high 90's and the humidity is thru the roof.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:02am
The problem with buyer's premium is you can easily forget about that ,'in the heat of the sale'......
Locally the BP is 15% ! So $100 is $115 BEFORE taxes ( another 13%) so  $130 'out the door'. THAT'S just plain crazy...
NOW ,some places have a 'loading fee'( small % or fixed amount) on the bills even though YOU loaded it yourself !
Now if you can buy privately... that $100 item will only cost you $100, saving you 30$ or over 30% SAVED !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 1:07pm
Buyers premiums can kiss my arse. I wont go.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

The difference is in a regular auction, the auctioneer takes a % or cut from the seller.  Buyers premium tacks it on the buyer. Taking into account the extra $ isnt the issue,  its the principal of having to spend more money after winning the bid, to pay for someone else's auction.  So I will give these auctions the middle finger every time.  Ranks right up there with paying taxes on a used vehicle purchase.  Middle finger to county courthouse as well.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 24 Jun 2019 at 1:30pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 2:43pm
My Dad bought  tractor from a dealer , tractor had a lot of  problems witch took awhile to work out . The dealer told Dad he did not really know it was going to be so many things  wrong . Dad told him well U told me this tractor was in A - 1  Shape . You give me the A-1 and kept the Shape .

Only real thing to do is look it over best you can n take a chance witch is 90% of the time is what you do at auction .Even things that where well maintained  develop problems .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic