This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Athens Disk Tiller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Athens Disk Tiller
    Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 9:49am
I found this while on a hunting trip out in North Dakota, the guy wants me to make him an offer on it and kinda wondering what I should offer him? it is in pretty good shape. needs a little tinkering. How rare are these?

Matt

Edited by Matt MN - 01 Nov 2010 at 11:43am
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 9:55am
That is a disc tiller. Still a great find at that. HTH Tracy Martin
RichinWis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinWis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 10:04am
I can't say that I have ever seen one of those, lots of disc plows but not one of those.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 10:42am
Disc tiller all of the discs are on one shaft
Disc plow each disc has its own shaft
That looks like the "Texas Beater model, but I am not sure"
Dont see to many of the rotary hoe's here in the north either, wouldnt mind trying one

Edited by DonDittmar - 01 Nov 2010 at 10:43am
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
D17JIM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 1:47pm
Don:  i believe that is a Lilliston rolling cultivator in the picture.  Father in law had one several years ago.  Jim
Roddo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 1:53pm
It is a Lilliston.  My grandfather had that exact one for cultivating his produce crops. He died a few years ago and it likely went to the highest bidding scraphound at his sale.

Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 2:05pm
yes that is a Lilliston cultivator in the background.
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:10pm
The tiller looks to be in decent shape.  Many of them are missing the scrapers, or they have been worn out.  Areas to look out for include looking over the castings for cracks and broken pieces (particularly on and around the lift gearbox), and also the disc shaft bearings.  In my opinion, the Athens castings of that time period were not of the best quality.  The iron is of fairly poor quality and has low tensile strength (which they made up for by using plenty of it) and is easily broken by carelessness.  The lift system is "unconventional" and if the springs inside aren't in good shape it can give trouble. Old dried grease will also cause problems, but ever since I cleaned mine out and installed new springs I have had no trouble.  My tiller is a four disc model, but I believe it uses the same spindle bearings as the six disc, so I should warn you that if you have to replace the tapered roller bearings, they are a funny (BIG) old size that has become very expensive.  I was quoted $300 plus for new bearings, so I turned out some sleeves and adapted some more modern but equally rated bearings for about half that money.  With new felt seals and discs, it now works great.  If you haven't used one in the field before, they can be a challenge to adjust properly in hard ground, but they can be adjusted to work very well.  Rarity seems to be a local thing with tillers.  They are not common in many areas, probably because of prevailing soil types.  If you really wanted one and it wasn't too far from home, it might be worth a few hundred dollars just for novelty value.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:37pm
Seems like my cousins used to have something similar to that on the farm. Maybe it was over at my great-uncles place. Anyway, looks pretty nice. I like the 2 bottom in the background. I have one of those in Pennsylvania, if I ever get around to picking it up.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic