This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

At what age?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At what age?
    Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 12:44pm
Have been thinking about stepping my son up to a real tractor like a CA  soon! He is 8 years old and has been pulling his unlimited rpm garden tractor for 4 years now and his little tractor has been record at 4.8 mph! So I guess my question is at what age do you think I should get him a real tractor and let him pull with the guys? He is a real big AC fan and says he wants a CA  to start with. 
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 1:25pm
Depends on your rules, he may still be much too young. I think our club is 12 yrs old.

He has a lot of experience but can he operate all the controls on the CA?
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 1:37pm
around here any age can pull with parents written permission. the question is like charlie said can he control ALL of the controls, also is he ready for everything that could happen, i know when i went to my first pull with my wd (which wasnt that long ago) i wasnt ready when it pulled a wheelie real fast so i clutched in and killed a good run. also is he ready to go "Slow" and sling the weights around, along with knowing or being able to learn track conditions and weight placement, these are all questions you have to ask him. also is he ready to put the time and effort it takes to get a tractor ready to pull, it takes a lot trust me i was supprised at the time and effort it took just to get my puller ready and it was a fully functional tractor, just had to add weight brackets and things like that to it
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 1:39pm
i should also ask if he is ready to have fun
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by volfan volfan wrote:

I believe the pankey twins are sophomores so they would have been around 9 or10 when they starting being successful .

Who????
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 3:02pm
check out the thread titles something something something pankeys first pull
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 3:20pm
Knock it off or get off my thread! I did not start it to listen to childish behavior!
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 3:53pm
we let kids pull that age with permission from the parents we let the parents help by walking alongside and it depends on the kids if they can handle a tractor yet i was farming at 9 just get them out a practice driving the tractor
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 5:19pm
Our group they can start pulling when they cannot control the tractor correctly by them self
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 5:37pm
they can start pulling when they cannot control the tractor
   ???

Gary
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 6:29pm
Our big local track is 12 and the local antique show is 10.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 8:10pm
I figured with him being 8 I can buy a little CA and we together get it all set up and ready by the time he is 10!
Blue, my boy already sets his pulling garden tractor up before every pull, he knows his weight placement for bother dirt and black top, checks his on tire pressure, the only thing i have to do is buy the parts and haul it to the pulls! He also knows how to ride the clutch out of the hole and leans side to side to steer! The only thing he would have to learn on the big tractor is how to use the brakes when needed to steer! Also I have been pulling for almost 10 years off and on so I know its alot of work. 
I am not trying to be rude but I already know what you're talking about and yes I do congratulate you on  progress and hope you keep up the good work! Remember hard work and determination always pays off!
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 8:41pm
Sorry Gary darn auto spell They can drive when they can control the tractor by them self
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 9:05pm
Sometimes I wonder if we don't start kids to young on things we like to do . That said my oldest son was driving my HD5 at around 9 or so but had a year or two of running garden tractor by then .
 Neighbor kids use to come over and help me around the place - seems I let them drive my JD B if they helped - so they were always willing to pick rocks or whatever IF they could drive tractor. 
 Sons also learned numbers and mechanical things getting me wrenches from tool box - the one with the 3 and line and 4 (3/4) or other numbers . 
 If your son knows responsibility and shows mature actions I guess you will know when he is able to pull - just don't rush him . 
 Remember the shocked look on another neighbors face when one son drove the HD5 out into field and younger one drove the tandem dump following him. He could just reach the clutch and gas then - and see through the steering wheel   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 6:56am
  My youngest was 7 when he actually made his first pull. He handeled it like a pro. We were pulling Farmstock then, now that we have upgraded he hasn't drove.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 6:36pm
no offense taken... and thank you
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 9:03pm
Cotn, I like the picture! As my father would say " hang to her"!
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 4:49pm
I guess my opinion is it is up to the parent and how much tractor experience the driver has. I have two daughters that would like to drive but I have had them driving around in the yard and they have not convinced me that they could handle it. One is 20 and the other is 12, I will not put them in a situation that they could be hurt or killed. My biggest dream is to have them drive someday but not till they can handle all situations. Driving a tractor to its limit is not the same as just driving around the farm. I would say the one thing that I would do is keep it heavy on the front till they got use to it. I watched a 25 year old or so last night almost tip one over backwards taking off lucky for him the drawbar broke off! I would say it is more experience than age. jmho.
cornbinder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 6:49am
it all depends on the child. honestly, I have pictures of me running dads john deer 70 bye myself and I was young enough to not remember being there. probably around 5 or6. my dad started me at a very young age, and I caught on very quick. I was driving our truck at 10 on the road with dad beside me. get that ca ready for him, and see what happens, he'll be ready before you know it. keep us posted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic