This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arrogance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arrogance?
    Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 5:48am
Ever had a piece for sale and had a Arrogant, insolent ass call, denigrate the machine or piece before Ever lays eyes on it beyond photos or belittles what work you are proud to have done and willing to sell?

I did just last week. Had placed the ad several weeks ago now with little more than wimdow shopping tire kickers. Most were concerned of price until saw better photos and lists of work, not this guy. Immediate, he need to do This and I cannot trust That, is it Viable to drive or use then listed what was going to do to alter it becomes his, that all I had done was worth nothing, of no consolation to him.

Then explained To Me would bring Cashiers Check, wanted to argue the Wire Transfers take too long, not of worth, did have heartedly agree to that.

Was hard to sleep last night, figure to call and or text him, call No Sale and shut him off at the get go.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Mar 2024 at 5:49am
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 6:46am
What's wrong with a CASHIERS check? Money orders for an unknown source could be suspect. Like I told someone once: If your check is so great, then you shouldn't have any problem going to your bank to get CASH before you come".  CASH talks and Bull$hit buys nothing. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 6:53am
BTDT....
Yeesh... get into the seat of your favorite tractor and check the fencelines.....!!

CALM DOWN......RELAX... Take a deep breath.... count to 9 ( the new ten ...)

Next time,politely tell the JERK , 'there's the road..have a nice day',then walk away.

EVERY time someone answers my ads, I say 'be here between xxxx and yyyy' , when they show ( IF ) up hours later, I say 'sorry, not available ', or 'George had to leave'. Then IF he contacts you again, say sorry ,nother guys coming to see it....

YOUR life is way too short to be bothered by these subhumans.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 7:08am
I don't usually deal with any of that nonsense. I make it clear the listed price is firm and take it or leave it, (nicely) and wish them a nice day before hanging up if the conversation goes negative. 

S.O.P. for me when selling something. Attempting to make purchase? I usually ask if any "room" on the price and if not, go from there. I'll never berate any person, or pick an item apart.

I don't have any problem with a cashier's check draw on a legitimate financial institution. Easy enough with a cell phone these days to punch in the routing number imprinted upon the check to check it's legitimacy. Personal check is the same way if between business hours. If the proposed buyer objects, there is most likely problems ahead if you go with the sale.

All that said, there is nothing I sell that is a "need" to sale. If it sells, it sells. If it doesn't sell, it will join it's brethren back in the corner of the shop for such items till someone comes along needing it more than I. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 7:13am
Had a IH 2155 S series for sale. Guy inquired about it, told him everything I knew.
Engine was a ‘drop in’ DT466, remanufactured series ‘B’, replacing the original engine that spun a bearing the prior year. Guy shows up, tilts the hood and was became pissed it was a ‘B’ and not a ‘E’. I said to him “I told it was a series ‘B’. The guy looks at me and says “I know you told me that, but I didn’t think you knew what you were talking about”. Told him, the price was not changing, but he said wasn’t interested.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 8:04am
Was close to saying OK
Got old, accepting the nonsense is long gone.

He explained how IPD Kits were worthless would have to overhaul again, air ride is junk, would change it all and go air disc brakes even as all new on it. More trouble than worth.

WB too Short, cab needed work, paint no good as could see in photo. Blah blah blablah. Nope, go away.

Cashiers from OH to MO, had already discussed with my bank, can recall funds up to thirty days. Good chance of scammer. Not taking chances at my age.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 8:32am
When I was trying to sell tractors last summer I had a guy similar to this. He’d say well it needs this and it needs that it’s only worth $$$?
I finally told him I didn’t give a what he thought it was worth, it was gonna bring my asking price or stay here.
He waited a couple days and this time I told him that the only way the price would change would be it going up.
He messaged back and wanted to come look. I felt uncomfortable and told him others were in front of him. I believe that day it sold.
Didn’t want him here. Don’t know if I’ll ever sell on market place again.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 8:48am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Was close to saying OK

He explained how IPD Kits were worthless would have to overhaul again, air ride is junk, would change it all and go air disc brakes even as all new on it. More trouble than worth.

WB too Short, cab needed work, paint no good as could see in photo. Blah blah blablah. Nope, go away.

Cashiers from OH to MO, had already discussed with my bank, can recall funds up to thirty days. Good chance of scammer. Not taking chances at my age.

Sounds like to me if it was that far from what he wanted he had no business calling in the first place.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 9:03am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Was close to saying OK

Sounds like to me if it was that far from what he wanted he had no business calling in the first place.

Was my Original thoughts, and then could not shake them the further it went along.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 11:49am

Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Was close to saying OK

Was my Original thoughts, and then could not shake them the further it went along.

I'm with you. Kinda like talking bad about your dog
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 2:54pm
If someone calls me about it, and they start down the push or negotiation path, i tell them that i only negotiate face to face, after they've seen it in person.   if they challenge that, I repeat it.

Attempting to negotiate on sight unseen circumstances is the sign of a bully opportunist.

I. sold a very nice car once, the guy looked at it, made a list of a dozen things, computed what they'd cost to fix, then offered me the difference, saying it wasn't worth what i asked. He'd driven two hours with a trailer...

So grabbed my. phone, while he stood there... called another guy, and told the other that I'd take his offer. To the guy standing in front of me:

Sorry, it's now sold.

then i walked away.

I have bought many things sight unseen.   to look, and offer is one thing.   if someone Alys why, I explain.   if they counter, I'll consider.   if they jump onto the beration path,i walk.

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 3:19pm
Listed a HD5B dozer I had and got a few calls on it and one guy came out to look . 
First ting was it was to old and not worth the price , Hmm listed it as a 1950 machine in add . 
Next was cutting edge worn on blade - Hmm you could replace it or use it as is .
Next was tracks look worn - Hmm just replaced them and are over 50% as pins and bushings turned and grouser bars welded up 
Next why are you selling it if a good machine - Hmm because I just bought a FD5 with a 6 way blade and 40 HP more than this machine has for my business . 
AH YES then the price - offer $700 LESS than what I was asking . Somehow the remark I would be a fool to not accept his offer as machine was not worth what I was asking .
 So just told him I would let him know in a month or so if I would take his offer as add had a couple weeks to run yet . 
  Parked out front by road , couple days later guy stopped and asked about it , said he would give me my price if I delivered it to his place 25 miles away for same asking price . Loaded it onto trailer and it went to it's new home .

You know right away when a deal with a cashiers check and a shipper are involved the deal is CASH ONLY . If you have a check - stop at a bank and convert it to greenbacks , then come and pick it up .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 16 Mar 2024 at 3:23pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 3:25pm
Have Always been Tire Kicking Bargain hunters, my little woman is one, UNTIL it comes to HER stuff, then is the Prized Apple!!  

Have had four reasonably certain wanted it, just not enough cash at hand or bank available so marched down the road.  This guy Owns a Business according to Telephone Number and such, I do NOT know him from Adam, would not take a Ohio Check on a Bet EXCEPT from a person on Here or the HE Forum I write on.  Unknowns do not leave good feelings.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 5:46am
Thanks all for the support, just had to vent as needed to be rid of the thoughts.

Most times just writing them out and throwing in the burn barrel works too.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 7:46am
Ah, the great world of commerce! On the buying end, being a jerk isn't going to get you anywhere! I've went and looked at things and thought wow, what a piece of junk, then said, "not for me" and walked away. Seller may have been disappointed but not pi**ed either.

Haven't sold much the last few years but have had pretty good success overall. Had more headaches selling sporting goods than farm type stuff! Had one guy tell me my price for an ice auger, (strikemaster lazer) was as high as a 'cheap new one'. He e-mailed me this. Why take time out of your day to do that. Think I e-mailed back, go buy a 'cheap new one'. Another guy wanted to trade me some sort of a P.O.S. boat, yeah, NO! Buddy of mine gave me the asking price later.

Have had some low-ballers once in a while. Pile of walnut logs out on the hill, told the logger they'll make great firewood for that price! It's a great advantage to not need the cash when you're selling!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 8:27am
My favorite response to arrogant people is " You really don't know how little I care "!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 8:36am
Id use an online auction place any more - gets out there and prices seem real good !
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 8:50am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

My favorite response to arrogant people is " You really don't know how little I care "!

Mine is "It Don't Eat".
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 11:48am
A couple more serious callers since. Another in OH, single truck owner, catastrophic engine failure on a late 90s he owns. Weeks out to even start a overhaul so dependent on a decent truck to make up work and have the option on doing or not the other one.

Also a young man Central IL looking for a newer wagon for his services company. Both expect to call later this week if paper at bank flies.

Average engine overhauls have step changed to close to $30,000 on most as parts so high and labor at an all time high.   C series Cat start at $24000, 3406b or E series are as high. Cummins is shrugging off older pre N14 series overhauls to subcontractors as parts generally have to come from aftermarket those will range mod 20s to high 30s. Two strokes, anyone’s guess as to parts availability.   Early Detroit 60s insane and Volvo prefers exchange units factory built at near $40,000 on a skid.

Edited by DMiller - 18 Mar 2024 at 11:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic