This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone try DJ's radiator for the WD (Cast Bottom)?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone try DJ's radiator for the WD (Cast Bottom)?
    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:35am
Anyone have experience with the radiator's that DJ's tractor parts sells for the WD with the cast bottom (P/N 70228587; their P/N is AC-114D)?

I have read enough horror stories from people that bought cheaper radiators from fitment problems and other stuff (like temperature gauges being mis-aligned or not fitting, or old style radiator caps not fitting), and am willing to spend the extra money if people have been happy with these radiators. Plus it looks more correct, which I like.

Opting for new over a recore this time.

Edited by garden_guy - 23 Feb 2021 at 10:56am
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 12:25am
I didn't buy mine from DJ's but I can see in the picture that it looks very much the same as the one I got. If you notice the upper spout comes out straight and the original one comes out at a slight angle. This means you can't use a straight upper hose, you have to buy a universal flex style. I believe it's 10.5 inch... it took me two tries from NAPA before I got the right length. The rest of the physical fitment is OK, the gauge sits in the right spot. What I did not expect was a leak somewhere from the bottom. I haven't taken the rad out yet to see where it's coming. Obviously that was a disappointment I wasn't expecting. Aside from my remarks it seems to be robust... If a good used one were only available I would go that route next time.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:31am
Thanks for the feedback. That sucks about the lower leak.

On the fence a bit right now about getting the new one or taking my old one out and checking about having it re-cored.

However it seems like my tanks are what is giving me grief, and I know this has been recored probably twice before. I figure there is a point where rebuilding is a no-go...
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:48am
From your pictures the actual core looks quite good, If you have a reputable rad shop you would get at least an expert opinion on a repair. I know if mine had looked that good I would have gone for having it fixed. I'm really surprised at how these new rads have climbed in price, only a handful of years ago they were at least $200 less. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Matt Tallant View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Tallant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 2:00pm
I need one as well Looking at DJs also
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 5:30pm
Can't speak for the radiator part, but I bought the "big" tooth tach drive for  "hundred series" from them several years ago and had to take it to a local machine shop to have the proper shaft milling done Embarrassed > 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:17pm
Eric B -- Once I get this old radiator freed, I'll have to see what my local shops think.

Matt Tallant -- I saw one person on the FB thread say they bought the one in question and it fit right in.

FREEDGUY -- Ooof, pricey!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:36pm
Shop said my tanks were iffy....and they were. Said could spend some coin to reuse and recore with not best outlook. He ended up getting me one just like one some of the vendors here list and it was cheaper in the end cause no shipping. No cast neck. Fit decent and no leak yet...been yr & 1/2. Didn't seem too chincy but it's only used on a loader so it doesn't get much use.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:17pm
I would check the top of that hose and the clamp first.  As was said, the core looks good.  If you can find a radiator shop, they could check the seams in that area for leaks and solder them.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
David(Stockbridge)MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David(Stockbridge)MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:35am
Correction to above

Our Radiator upper hose pipe has correct angle, down and to the left.
cast iron bottom hose connection
 3 rows of tubes
Not 2 pass and sheet metal connections like most on the market.

All "NEW" Web Site http://www.djstractorparts.com

2035,A,U,UC,WF unstyled,WF styled,WC High Crop (cane),RC,B,IB,C,CA,WD,WD45,G,D10,D12,D14,D15,D15 II,D17,D19,WC styled,WC unstyled H3 crawler
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 11:28am
Steve -- Very nice!! That's kind of what I am afraid of on this one that the tanks are toast.

john -- Yeah, I was hoping that was the case, but no dice. I tightened it up good (and even used a new hose), but no such luck.

David -- Thanks for the info, glad to see that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic