This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone have a massey harris 44

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone have a massey harris 44
    Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:23pm
we are working on a massey harris 44 gp for guy.      it has the massey harris engine and not the continental.      theres not much massey harris stuff out and i need a couple of pictures and maybe a sourse for so parts its really a neat tractor .    and this guy is paying quit alot , family tractor.
Sponsored Links

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:58am
     Not sure what you need but Steiner's new catalog came yesterday and they have a section for Massey items, might try them. They have a website. Is there a Massey site on the internet?
       I always thought the 44's were interesting. When Dad bought his 1954 WD45 the competition was the 44. Would like to have one but not sure how it would get along with all the orange. Good luck with your project.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 7:31am
Massey Harris was fairly common here in Canada. Maybe some used stuff available up here.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:31am
got the stiener catalog, there is less massey harris stuff here than any thing else
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:32am
The Massey Harris engine was actually built by Continental specifically for the Massey tractors.  I've had several Massey 44's.  First tractor I ever drove was a MH 44!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 1:10pm
try these guys, I have got some stuff from them
for engine parts Monte's in chi-town,sorry, don't have a link for them, hopefully google can help 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 2:28pm
thats a good link i will contact them  right now i need a good picture of the throttle cable  thanks hud
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 8:05pm
What do you need a picture of Hud?  I happen to know of where ones at to get you a picture. Wink

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:04pm
this one has a throttle cable and housing it hooks to the shaft and lever on the quadrant i was told that this is kind of rare ,  and was not used very long and only on  the 44 some brackets and parts are missing by the gas tank where it goes from rods and levers to a cable and housing.       the agco parts book does show both setups but its not much to go by because i will probley have to fab parts
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 6:39pm
 Hud I took a bunch of pictures but what 44 I'm looking at doesn't have anything attached to the fuel tank, but rather attached to the steering box beneath the tank.  This is where there is a turn buckle attached to the throttle cable.  If you think I have something that will help just tell me what pictures of what you want, I have several of various parts of the throttle linkage.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 6:41pm
Have plenty more pics if you need them.

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 9:36pm
I always thought they were an "M" Farmall clone. Big and heavy. Large slower speed engine. 5-speed tranny. Same sized rear tires, etc.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:00pm
I'd say more along the lines of a w-6, w-9.  The 44 was more a Wheatland tractor and the only thing they did for rowcrop was a tricycle front, set low to the ground, at least I don't know of a hi-crop 44.

Edited by Kansas99 - 20 Nov 2021 at 10:01pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 2:39pm
Dad had 3 of them,---I had a 44-6 and only 1 of them ever got used much. Dad had the massey loader on 1 of his and that was all it ever did all the time he owned it. The main tractors back then were the Oliver Super 99 GM for the real work and a couple MM U and UB tractors for the rest of the work. ---- oh and the 34 WC and the ac pto hay rake.---rake stayed hooked to the WC year round! The only tractor that would work on the rake! LOVED that set-up!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:54pm
kansas 99 what is that a picture of the throttle cable and linkage on the one i am working on looks a little differant
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:55pm
this one is a tricyle  but its a pretty tall tractor
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 8:46am
Well shi$ Hud. I will have to find another Massey. Give me time here I’ll most likely find the picture you need. That was unmarked in a dark shed. I’ll go to a different shed and get what you’re looking for I hope.

This was what I was up against. lol

Not it here

Definitely not it here

Don’t worry I know there’s a 44 gas. If memory serves it had a loader and homemade cab. I’ll find it maybe   

I might have actually taken pictures of a unmarked 55.   I was just lazy that was the closet shed only 5 miles away the other 4 or 5 sheds are at least 11 miles away, you know with gas price and all.Wink

Edited by Kansas99 - 23 Nov 2021 at 8:54am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 8:50am
and for the record that 101 is the only tricycle in this collection, but I believe it has a chrysler motor, rare maybe?  The other 60+ are all standard fronts.Big smile

Edited by Kansas99 - 23 Nov 2021 at 8:51am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:29am
Hud I felt so bad I went on the 44 hunt and quit my day job.

I think I’m out of 44s because the standard has been sold. Although I know it’s location.

So here’s the last attempt. 44 rowcrop wide front no 3 point

Am I getting closer?   
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 10:38am
Massey Harris did use some Chrysler engines. We had an old Massey Harris Combine with a Chrysler industrial flathead 6 cylinder. Worked well but very thirsty (gas).
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 12:59pm
Here is an illustration of the linkages on the 44 tractor, if this is any help.  I've never seen one with a cable control.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 1:35pm
What cubic inch motor is in the 101? Guessing a 23” head. Thinking I may need one someday😉
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 1:44pm
Massey Harris collectors have a club but I am not sure if they are on the internet
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 7:06pm
Ok gentlemen since we’re on a Massey thread I better throw one more in. I hope HUD doesn’t get pi$$ed but here ya go it’s the old triple nickel diesel. Fairly rare unit and this ones knee deep in rubber and ready to work. Although with the pump turned up it might work fast just not for long. My brother pulled this 555 years ago she’s restored and original, well can be put back original    Anyways if someone starts a jd thread the tractor this one shares a shed with might just be prettier.   Please nobody get their pants in a wad there's a handful of AC's to take pictures of too!! Big smile

That weight bracket and k&n filter might not be factory.LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 23 Nov 2021 at 7:11pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

What cubic inch motor is in the 101? Guessing a 23” head. Thinking I may need one someday😉

Not sure what cubic it is, I can measure it, but I know the owner really wellWink and I was surprised when he told me the 44 standard was sold, although he said they were a dime a dozen and easily replaced. I'm fairly certain that he won't part with that 101. He made a exception for it when he bought the 555 on a package deal because it's a little uncommon, that's why it's the only tricycle in the collection. LOL 

Maybe one of these days I can get to posting picks on a separate thread, I've been wanting to do it for several years here, if nothing else it will give me time for a accurate description of a whole lot of antique tractors.  The guy that has them isn't that old but he's not getting younger and for my records and anyone's enjoyment of looking at them it would be worth my time.  As far as I'm concerned if anything happens to the gentleman that owns them they will not be going anywhere anytime soon.Wink

Edited by Kansas99 - 23 Nov 2021 at 7:53pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 9:00am
I used to build grill screens for the Massy Harris tractors, I forget which models.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 10:09am
The Massey 101 had a 201 cu. in. Chrysler industrial engine in '38 and '39.  In '40 it was increased to a 217 cu. in. engine. (from the Massey Tractor data book).
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 1:05pm
50$ would go a long ways to hot rod up one of those to make 100-150hp. If the trans and rear could take it, sounds like a pullers dream.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 1:40pm
  Sure is a nice looking 555 massey Harris
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:31pm
If you have to take the rear end gearing apart pay close attention to how it is put together. If you put it together backwards, you will have 5 speeds backwards and 1 forward speed. One of my fuel customers back in the 1970's did this. He backed thru the wood wall of his shed. I walked thru the big hole.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic