This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody up this early?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody up this early?
    Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 3:56am
Selling chickens tonight. Been up since about 730 yesterday morning and now having to sit here waiting for trucks to show up. You Canucks picked a fine time to leave the door open. 22 degrees right now. I know that's nothing to you northerners but us Georgia boys ain't made for this. Once the trucks show up I'll have about 7 hours to go then a shower, some food, and a nap. It might not happen in that order.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:34am
I’ve been up for a bit. It’s aboyt 25 here and a little purdy left but not much.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:53am
I think I'm the only one up, in the people's republic of MD. All the federal "workers" are either furloughed, or have the day off for the mlk holiday...Wink
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:54am
     Woke up at 6:00 AM to a cool house; 60 degrees. Minus 8 degrees outside but fortunately no wind. We have a gas well on the farm so use that free gas except that once in a while when it gets colder than usual something in the gas co's distribution system shuts it off. Glad we didn't disconnect from the regular gas so all I have to do is open and close some valves and we have gas again. Waiting for the house to heat back up now. Does Shameless' machine have refrigeration capacity too? I'll bet it does and he isn't telling anyone. We got snow here in central Ohio Saturday night but before that freezing rain so there is a good coating of ice on everything now. No damage here except a couple of limbs broken off some white pines.

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:03am
Hit 20 here at daylight. You boys must have some thick skin or some thick underwear to deal with that -8 crap.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:15am
About 44 here in mid Florida.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

About 44 here in mid Florida.

I'd be tickled to death with 44. But I suppose that's pretty cold for Floridians. Darrel
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:37am
Was up about 2:30 but not for long. Don't think I could handle those all-nighters any more,  done got too old. Used to fight house fires most of the night then go to regular job with little or no sleep. About 25 here this morning, somebody up north needs to close that darn door.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:53am
     How many chickens do you have to  load?  I'm not familiar with how the new big houses operate. Do you have to catch all those chickens by hand?  Don't suppose they would herd very well.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:37am
I'm up all night hauling snow with the dump truck, LOL.

It's minus 10*F here. Got all kinds of check engine and warning lights going with these crappy new emissions motors.
Took some great minds to figure on using a liquid that freezes in these emission systems and put heaters in them that can't keep up.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

How many chickens do you have to  load?  I'm not familiar with how the new big houses operate. Do you have to catch all those chickens by hand?  Don't suppose they would herd very well.

Just got finished. I don't have to load any. Pilgrims sends a crew with 3 to 4 trucks, two Moffitt lifts, and 6 to 7 catchers. I have to get things ready for them. Cut feed off at certain times, raise feeders at certain times, get everything up out of the catchers way. After they finish with a house I have to get rid of anything they leave. They're not supposed to take small birds or any with leg problems. We have 72,000 at this farm. The farm I'm starting on now will house 236,000. We'll have to shut this farm down due to age and location. When they catch they turn the lights off and the birds lay down. Then they walk through and pick them up and put them in cages that the lifts take off the truck and bring inside. Each cage consists of 10 coops. They usually put between 6,600 and 7,200 per trailer
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:13pm
Years ago we had to herd them. I used to help them catch birds on my grandparents pullet farm. We caught twice during each flock. Once to vaccinate, once to move to the hen farm. Back then we drove all the birds to the back of the house then strung a net across the width of the house. Then we all got another net a little wider then the house and walked so far into the birds until it looked about right. Then everybody spread out across the house and started walking and the net would drive them into the other net. Then we picked them up by the feet 4 or 5 at a time
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:38pm
     I'll bet the catchers are young guys. Sounds like a lot of stooping over and standing up and a lot of work.
     200+ thousand is a lot of chickens. Do you haul all the fertilizer they make? Some of the guys that built houses around here several years ago used the manure value as an argument for building them. How big are your new buildings to be? Seems too be quite a few chicken houses built around here in the last 2 years. I know of 3 sites within about 10-12 miles of each other. 2 are on adjacent farms. 3 really long buildings on each site.
     Thanks for the info.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 2:17pm
Most of the catchers are, I'm guessing, in their 20's to 30's. We sell the litter we take out to people and spread it on hay fields and pastures. The new houses will be 50' wide and 600' long. There had been a rash of new farms built here in the last 4 to 5 years here to. This happens every 20 years or so. The older farmers retire and somebody has to replace them
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 3:55pm
There use to be a chicken farm operation on the island that we previously lived on. I am not sure how large an operation it was but on when harvesting day came there was either two or three semis with cages come over on the ferry the evening before and leave full of chickens the next morning. You always knew when this happened if you took the ferry that day as there would be chicken feathers blowing around the ferry deck all day. The trucking company was called "Last Ride Trucking". This farm was visible at other times when the bulk carrier brought the feed over. It was a two trailer train that had to be split when loading and unloading on and off the ferry. This often put the ferry off schedule for the rest of the day. It must have been because of weight restrictions on the ramps as the train did not have to split when leaving the island. The farm made it's presence felt one other day as well. A truck carrying chicken poop to a local farm to spread on the fields did not have it's tailgate tightly secured. This chicken poop was semi liquid and spread on one of the main roads circling the island. This chicken poop gradually spread around the island, the shopping area, the ferry deck and some of the main streets of the city on the other side. The flocks gradually got smaller and then a disease problem eventually lead to a complete shut down and it never reopened.
Jack of all trades, master of none
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:50pm
Wow I never heard of a farm on an island. How often did they move the birds? Being 3 trucks is guess it was either a very small farm or a breeder farm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:24pm
I was up at about 0345, went to coffee in town at 0430, was about 9 degrees out with sum wind. them silly Canadians keep leaving their doors open, that's where we giys all this cold from!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:28pm
And here I thought is was old man winter. Learn somethin new every day.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:34am
thendrix, it was only 3 or 4 large chicken houses plus feed storage, equipment garage a large house and swimming pool on less than 10 acres of land. They  raised fryers and chicks were brought over from a hatchery. There were 8 or 10 small farms on the island that raised sheep and cattle. A couple of the farms started in the late 1800's. Otherwise there are about 4500 people on the island.
Jack of all trades, master of none
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:42am
Ya there are some of us up. Attempting to decide if we want another 40 bee hives next year. Heck of a lot of work.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 3:04am
I is up again, think'in bouts going to wally world...then to coffee.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 3:32am
 Hey Shamers, would ye kindly stop by and throw some wood in for me, would ye??? Pretty please???
It needs it now, not next summer when Hutch is on...
I heard that Shameless... SHEESH want are friends for.
 Just ask him nicely an he don't show up. Well, guess it's me an the dog... and she's curled up under the table on her blankie...  LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 4:42am
     Dang,,,,!!!  all that jawin by youse guys has awoke me up,,,,well,,,might as well go make a pot of Cinnamy-Coffee,,,Hey,,,I kinda like thet ,,,,,Cinnamy-Coffee,,,I'll have to look into maybe a patent on thet,,,,,,,WinkWink
 By the way,,,,Good Mornin,,,,,,,Clap
 PS,,,Shameless,,,I don't go to walmart this early,,,,accordin to you,,,,they's some mighty strange peoples that frequent thet place at them hours,,,,,,Wink

Well,,,I took Joyce to the Rehab Center yesterday mornin and,,,,,and,,,,I was surprised in that I didn't have to fight very hard to push her out of the car,,,,,,WinkWink,,,seriously tho,,,She was kinda eager to get started with her rehab and hopefully graduate up to getting the prosthesis and get to where she can at least motivate some with her walkerClapClap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 5:38am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Dang,,,,!!!  all that jawin by youse guys has awoke me up,,,,well,,,might as well go make a pot of Cinnamy-Coffee,,,Hey,,,I kinda like thet ,,,,,Cinnamy-Coffee,,,I'll have to look into maybe a patent on thet,,,,,,,WinkWink
 By the way,,,,Good Mornin,,,,,,,Clap
 PS,,,Shameless,,,I don't go to walmart this early,,,,accordin to you,,,,they's some mighty strange peoples that frequent thet place at them hours,,,,,,Wink

Well,,,I took Joyce to the Rehab Center yesterday mornin and,,,,,and,,,,I was surprised in that I didn't have to fight very hard to push her out of the car,,,,,,WinkWink,,,seriously tho,,,She was kinda eager to get started with her rehab and hopefully graduate up to getting the prosthesis and get to where she can at least motivate some with her walkerClapClap

Prayers sent that she will stay on this path. Reading this makes me smile.👍
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 6:06am
I don't get near the Puter until dogs walked/potty'd/fed, chores done but usually up close to 4.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Jan 2019 at 6:07am
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 6:24am
That's some good news Joe. They say a good attitude is a great healer
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:18am
thanks for the update Joe! hope she can keep up her good spirits! got to wally world, boughts lots of TP. a jug of tea and out the doors I went. was coffee time at the gas station! home now, found another hose leaking...oh well, i'll still share with ya'll!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:10pm
Glad to hear Joyce is in good spirits. There was a guy in the doctors office today that had two prosthetic legs and wasn't even using a cane or anything walked just as good as I was.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

About 25 here this morning, somebody up north needs to close that darn door.
I don't know for sure Hubert, but I've been blaming Calvin for a few years now and he's never denied it yet, so..............Wink

Sure, the one night that I'm not here at that time and Tyler starts squawking about chickens. Clap  I gotta get the heck off of here now though,,,,,,,,I got a lot of stuff to do tomor.....er today...Say G'nite Ted....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:39am
Warms my heart Joe!!  I'm glad she's a fighter!!  Prayer's coming every day!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic