This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any interest in another project thread?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any interest in another project thread?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 1:19pm
     I have been following the electric power steering project threads with great interest. Lots of cool stuff in both threads for me (and hopefully others) to learn. I am just starting to upgrade my D17 to live hydraulics and a used "universal" Freeman loader off a Farmall 560 and was wondering if I should start a thread showing the ups and downs of the project? Now I will admit right off I am by no means an expert on much of anything, but I spent 30+ years wrenching on cars and trucks as a hobby and by necessity, 12 years of industrial maintenance in an automotive plant, 11 years as a manufacturing engineer in the same plant, and 8 years turning wrenches on Cobra helicopters for Uncle Sugar. That all being said this thread would be a combination of "how to" and "how do I?" showing my path from the original trip bucket with stock hydraulics to a (hopefully) fully functioning hydraulic system and loader. So, is there any interest, or should I keep my project pictures to myself? Any thoughts are appreciated.

1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 1:36pm
Go for it!  

It's a free forum, post whatever you want (well, you know, relatively PG).  Worst can happen is nobody follows it, but I sincerely doubt that.  Sounds good!

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 2:45pm
Yes, go for it!!  Look at all the help you will get figuring out your project!!  Look at Sugarmakers shop project!  It might have never got to where it is without the help and advice from guys on here!Wink LOL
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 3:07pm
YES !!!! Please...take LOTS of pictures, I'm sure there are several here who can offer advice, helpful hints, what NOT to do...
1st up... get a box of bandaids
2nd, get another ! you'll need more..
3rd, let's begin !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 3:18pm

SHOOT YEAH, Mopar,,!!  I LOVE reading and following them kind of projects,,,, I too been a Shadetree all my life and wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have more than a "few" projects to keep me occupied,,,,,
 You just do not see very many of this type like we used to and frankly can't figure why not,,,, BUT,,,,BUT,,,don't forget the pics,,,we can't critisize if we can't see what you doin,,,,,WinkLOLClap  just kiddin you understand,,,,,Clap
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 4:39pm
Oh I planned on lots of pictures! If for no other reason than it helps everyone understand EXACTLY how I screwed up. And don't worry about criticism. I got really thick skin, so you will have to go a ways to hurt my last feeling!
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 6:49pm
First off I think it’s a very worthy project. I had a trip loader on a WD45. I used it all the time to move heavy things.
A full hydraulic set up would have been much more versatile.
The do’s and don’ts may help the next guy to try this( there will be more) and make his project flow.
You may even receive some good advice along the way.
I live for this stuff.👍
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 10:55pm
Chris, ALWAYS create a thread on a build.  True wealth, is the wealth of knowledge and experience that we share, to work together.

Many years ago, I started a thread on a loader tractor I built, and I got lots of good advice from people who had totally fresh eyes on my work.  I got some snide/snarky comments, I got some atta-boy's, and I got a whole lot of ShockedOhmigoshes, for just about any possible reason.

You'll get the same, but the cool thing is, when someone ELSE goes to do a similar project, they'll see HOW you did it, and understand WHY you did it that way, and after you've run it a bit, and found out what was good, and bad, and ugly, your continuation will prove the good, and show how the bad was rectified.

There's a whole BUNCH of things that go into building a dedicated loader-tractor.  Structural integrity being paramount, but then there's balance, control, maneuverability, digging power, lifting power, control sensitivity, steering ease, and comfortable, efficient operation.

For mine, it included fully live hydraulics, power steering, and a change of the drive control (Hydrostat) from hand-lever to foot treadle, so that all operations were done with one foot on the treadle, one hand on hydraulic valve, one hand on steering wheel knob, and the remaining foot firmly planted to stabilize myself against bounces, jolts, and G-forces of operation.

I broke the front axle twice.
I bent three front spindles.
I broke the hydrostat driveline four times.
I dropped rocks on the hood, smashing the headlamps.
I found too little air in the front tires driving over piles of rocks, and every so often found a board, or some shingles, with a nail...
I found too much air between the back tires and the ground, from having more weight in the front bucket, than the rear weight box...
I had a rock go through the hydraulic pump drive belt once, and ruined the belt...
I got stuff tangled up in the rear tires and tore up the original fenders...
I had troubles starting it in cold weather due to thick engine oil, thick hydrostatic fluid, and thick hydraulic fluid...
I twisted off 3axleshafts, bent one axleshaft at the wheel flange, and shattered a differential carrier...
I blew up two engines (one was already long-in-tooth)...

And at each step, I found each weak spot, and redesigned it for considerably more strength.  It is a totally different beast now, but it is a SERIOUS beast.

You'll go through the same, but I hope that as you post, the guys' comments will help you solve problems before they arise.

A well-built loader tractor can work fast... move forward and back rapidly, turn with rapid precision, lift and lower well, swiftly, smoothly, and withstand the loads applied without becoming unstable, and be predictable when carrying a load over uneven terrain.

And then there's convenience... things like chain hooks on the bucket, carrying racks for rigging, ballast boxes, tool boxes, work lighting, tire chains, a seat that doesn't hold rainwater... (I'm still workin on that last one)...

Oh, and a way to easily trailer it to a remote work location and back.  This is paramount, because when friends need help, you don't want to arrive just to be faced with heavy labor...  take your tractor, and be the working power of six young men.

Loader tractors make young men stronger... and keep old men young.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 12:05am
Do It! These things are always interesting.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 7:07am
I post a great deal of my own suffering projects, cannot see anyone else not posting theirs as someone does seem to find points of interest within the posts even of does not apply to what they do day in day out can be inciteful as to information they had needed prior and forgotten of.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:11pm
i agree with others above! i love following ya'll's projects, and the pics DO help some of us dummy's to understand! that ole snake breed'in Joe from down in sand land (hey that rymmed) lol...anyways he's done lots more things rebuilding his AC backhoe than most would have! i'm sure you'll do the same, and i like following threads like that!
ac160 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac160 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 6:25am
Seconded doing it.I enjoy following them as well.  they always have tidbits of stuff learn that is applicable to all kinds of projects.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic