This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any ideas
    Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:00pm
On my car on the back of the gas tank there are three nipples back there where the fuel filler hose hooks to. One of them rusted off but the rest of the tank looks like it's all okay. The tank is 250 odd some dollars which really don't bother me all that much except for the fact that you got to pull the whole rear suspension out of the car to get the tank out. I was just kind of wondering if any of you out there would have any idea how to make or add a new nipple to the back of the gas tank without having to replace the tank.  Just looking for ideas. I already have the hole drilled out that was a Pain in the but because I tried to put a quarter inch nipple in there But the fuel tank is metal and all it did was wrecked the threads on the nipple. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:59pm
Try mcmaster carr for bulkhead fitting...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Try mcmaster carr for bulkhead fitting...Wink

Just thinking about it, I think you are screwed, unless you can thread it in.  A bulkhead fitting, you have to be able to get it into position, and get a wrench on both sides...Dead
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:04pm
i would take a copper tube or steel nipple that was the right size...  slide it 1/2 inch into a washer and solder it together... clean the tank area... clean the washer and jb-weld the washer to over the hole with 1/4 inch of nipple pilot into the tank.. after it dries, slop a little more jb-weld over the washer and feather out onto the tank about 1-1/2 inch diameter... dry... slide your hose over the nipple and clamp.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:12pm
Get a barb fitting, drive it in with alot of silicone - no problem
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 7:42pm
is the hose fuel(liquid gas) or fumes(vent) ??
what make of car so others can avoid buying one..yeesh ,step one remove rear suspension...arrrgh..

if just a vent line,shine up both fitthing and tank, tin both ,then solder them,clean off flux residue real good, then JBWeld for mechanical support
I've done this to several tanks over the years..
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 7:52pm
For snowmobiles there is a rubber grommet fitting that you drill a hole the correct size and then when you push in the metal hose barb everything gets tight.  Although this is for plastic tanks that are thicker than a metal tank. Might work long enough to get it inspected then unload it on some shmuck Wink
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 9:37pm
Just my 2 cents worth but did anyone else realize he is talking about a gas tank, heard of too many serious accidents involving flames, torches and drop lights being associated with gas tank servicing resulting in fires and explosions. Not worth the dangers, yes dropping the rear end is time consuming and some busted up knuckles but that is nothing compared to a fire, explosion, being burnt or a trip to the ER, your task but please use sense and be careful. Also remember to safely block up the car on stands while you are under it. Safety first and foremost dont want to loose a posting member. That said is the broken fitting on the tank or sending unit. Have put hole in trunk with brass hammer and chisel to get to the sending unit and replaced unit through hole and sealed with an old license plate over the hole. That was on a 1996 Monte Carlo.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 5:26am
Ingenious fellow cut a square piece out of the box of his Chevy pickup for changing fuel pumps. He drove that truck many miles and replaced several fuel pumps. With the square hole he didn't have to remove the box just work through the square hole! I would believe a person can replace that fitting by not having to remove the tank. And epoxy today can seal and hold a long time. Had a wheel bearing fail on a manure spreader and it tore up the shaft. We cleaned the shaft with a grinder and I found some strong epoxy which we put on the shaft. Centered the bearing,and it held until the spreader wore out!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 6:28am
If this is the filler, or vent tube, are the tubes solid all the way to the tank? Are you sure there is not a section of hose somewhere along the route?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 8:17am
Steve has the right answer for you.  Safe and easy and will outlast the car! No need to blow yourself up or get rid of car!
D19allisowner View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 11:03am
In the picture the one that's broken is right next to the fill hole the big hole and then there's three little ones on the outside the one to the right is the one that's broken.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 11:05am
Thanks for all the replies!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 11:28am
They make a fuel tank repair that has 2 part epoxy and it's black. Comes with some fiberglass cloth. I used it on a hole in a fuel tank, seemed to work pretty well.
I think it came from Oreilly's
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 1:00pm
You have my curiosity up, what kind of vehicle is this tank for
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 8:33pm
Gas eats most silicones. Just FYI.
Riprock View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 10:37pm
They make a bung that installs and tightens from the top. Here's a link to one. I'm sure there are others out there. This was the first one I saw.

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 11:05am
Originally posted by JTOOL JTOOL wrote:

Gas eats most silicones. Just FYI.

I have been amazed at how well JB weld stands up to oil, gas, and diesel.

I have a transfer tank with the same JB weld patch for over 20 years could be real close to 30 years.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 11:34am
Guess you know this, but JB Weld is not silicone.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Guess you know this, but JB Weld is not silicone.

Wink Yep I know that. Was just saying since someone had talked of "gluing" a fitting on JB weld has lasted for me. Maybe I was just lucky? But I would give it a chance before removing tank to weld, braze, or solder on it.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 12:06pm
Yeah, of course you knew, and I knew I was pretty sure you knew, ya know? 
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Riprock Riprock wrote:

They make a bung that installs and tightens from the top. Here's a link to one. I'm sure there are others out there. This was the first one I saw.

Seems like the best way to go.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

You have my curiosity up, what kind of vehicle is this tank for

2005 subaru outback
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 12:02pm
I was just thinking about this and was wondering if a tire tube repair valve stem would work.  If it's a fume tube it seems like it should be okay.  If it's for fuel you might have to find some sort of anti gas adhesive to stick it on with.

Edited by john(MI) - 24 Jul 2021 at 12:06pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic