This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Chrysler techs out there?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Chrysler techs out there?
    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:35am
My dad has a 2002  Caravan Sport with the 3.3L. Starts and idles ok, tach works, but when you get it out on the road and get after it a bit, it will downshift, RPMs will got to about 3000, but you don’t get any speed. Acts like the timing is off to me. When you plug into it with the scan tool there are no codes. Data stream shows cam sensor signal “lost”, crank sensor signal “lost”, and cam and crank sensor “out of sync”, yet it will start and run.

If you had 5 miles of straight flat ground you might be able to get it 40mph, yet it will idle all day just fine

Cam and crank sensor have both been replaced 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:39am
I would start with checking Cam drive, as that runs everything, that slips or gets too slack all manner of ignorance starts, could also be seeing bad sensors as to Crank and Cam, when were those last changed?
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:49am
just changed both sensors and it didn’t make any difference 

I too was thinking a mechanical issue but I wanted to get some other opinions before I dive into the front of this thing 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:04am
Just a thought, with both sensors showing out on diagnosis, and knowing MI is worse than MO for salt applications, may want to start following the harness back to firewall plug, chances are salt cancer has gotten to the connections.
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:40am
My thoughts as well.  Yes, sensors can cause a lot of other problems, but when several sensors go at once, it leads me to believe there is a wiring problem or a main computer problem.  If a wiring problem also look at the grounds.  A bad ground can cause a lot of problems as well as loosing your sanity.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:50am
Transmission shift solenoids are compromising- failing. When solenoid(s) don’t shift properly, it trips transmission control unit into default mode(3rd gear usually?).
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:21am
I was leaning towards either mechanical failure of some sorts or a pcm failure

If the scan tool shows no cam OR crank sensor (both show signal loss according to the scan tool) how is the engine even starting and idling?

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 1:25pm
Try disconnecting the battery ground for 30 seconds - 1 minute. Then reconnect the battery ground & test drive it. The battery disconnect will reinitialize it’s control module(s), clearing any previous shift defaults. During the test drive, If it behaves & shift solenoids happen to shift properly, then it will act (drive) normal as long the vehicle stays in its highest gear, not requiring any shift solenoid action to a lower gear. If still on your test drive, the vehicle requires a stop & lower shifts are required then it could possibly default again. Hence if any of its shift solenoids fail, then it’s control module will permanently place vehicle into default again - probably 3rd gear limp mode. So then another battery disconnect will then be required to bring it out of default.

If this scenario repeatly happens, then it indicates that your shift solenoids need attention - ie...transmission rebuild.

Edited by AC7060IL - 02 Aug 2020 at 4:27pm
SLee(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 11:28pm
Don, your description of the cars problem sounds similar to a problem we had with a 2002 malibu. Finally figured out the catalytic converter was plugged up.
Lack of power from the engine was preventing the transmission from shifting properly.
New converter and no more problem.
Steve

Edited by SLee(IA) - 02 Aug 2020 at 11:39pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 4:43am
also sounds like a tranny problem to me.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 9:02pm
Don. If you determine it is the tranny, get 1 from an 05 or 06. We had to do that on our 02. It is a better tranny and according to the tranny guys that put it in for me, they bolt right up. Check out the catalytic converter first.   I have had to replace 2 or 3 of them over the years. On ford products. They would not get going but idled fine.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 08 Aug 2020 at 9:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic