This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ants in well

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ants in well
    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:04am
Geesh it is always something! Last Thursday I noticed slow water pressure at the faucets, seen little brown sticks - dam ants- cleaned everything- treated the well - it's 320 ft with 3 gallons of bleach gonna get it going ng here in a bit - the well casing is pvc- has a good cap on it and it sticks up about 4 ft above the ground, no trail or any signs they entered there- so my question is where did they come from? How did they get in the water table? It's always something but this is crazy! We did have about 6 inches of rain last week, would that raise the water table under ground to a different level to get to an aunt house? Never heard of this - but now I'm dealing with it! Anyone deal with this before?
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:12am
Yuck! That’s a new one.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:24am
No kidding,getting an apartment in town is sounding better every day!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:26am
I bet!

Wish I had some advice for ya. Guess all I can say is good luck. I suppose the big rain could be related, then again could just be coincidence.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:52am
Under grade at the Casing is the connection port, has a seal around it in the dirt, that would be the ONLY spot the ants could access, with a volume of them falling into the well.  May be time to dig around the casing head, will be about 18-24" below grade.  Do not want to spray poisons especially if they can get inside the casing that means a hole that the poison can access too.  Casing may actually be cracked, that will be a mess to fix.  Ants can also access thru wiring head pipe, it is not conduited back to the supply source, direct burial with the pipe being short length in ground.

Edited by DMiller - 09 Aug 2020 at 9:53am
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:03am
I seen the connection about 6 ft down theres no sign of them at the cap - just trying to figure out where they got in , hope a tree root didnt crack the casing down lower

Edited by DougG - 09 Aug 2020 at 10:51am
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 11:24am
They went in thru the cap.  You probably couldn't rtv it enough to stop them.  I would spray an over adequate amount of poison on and around the pipe.  If it's been overly dry there, they are after water.  Might wanna put a dish out for them!Big smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Under grade at the Casing is the connection port, has a seal around it in the dirt, that would be the ONLY spot the ants could access, with a volume of them falling into the well.  May be time to dig around the casing head, will be about 18-24" below grade.  Do not want to spray poisons especially if they can get inside the casing that means a hole that the poison can access too.  Casing may actually be cracked, that will be a mess to fix.  Ants can also access thru wiring head pipe, it is not conduited back to the supply source, direct burial with the pipe being short length in ground.

I would also guess through the wiring. You can seal/caulk where the wire goes into the casing.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 3:24pm
YUP so right , done that this morning and been purging the water lines off and on all day , getting rid of them for now
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:40pm
I've said it all  along. First there will be Cornovirus, then the space type of killer Ants.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:50pm
So right Walker,, there gonna get us 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:51pm
when do the Zombies show up ? Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:09pm
Radiation impregnated Lizards are next with a big tall fella named Godzilla leading them.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:31pm
Them Ants got legs on both sides so it don't do any good to roll em over.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:09pm
Ha ha right on
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic