This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another restoration question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another restoration question
    Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 7:46pm
I know you guys have dealt with this issue before.
Old fuel turned to laquer/varnish in fuel tank.
This tank has gooo in it now that it is almost like
tar,thick and sticky.It's so gooey that I doubt nuts
and bolts or pea rock will on a mixer will work.
Short of taking to a professional company what might work
on getting this thing clean,gas,mineral spirits,or a strong acetone..

Any thoughts..
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 8:42pm
Check any local Radiator shops in your town or area. Sometimes Radiator shops do fuel tank services. If you find a shop that does fuel tanks as well, they can boil it out for you, pressure test it for leaks and seal the tank for ya at the same time. Its well worth the money spent. Before my Rad guy retired, he used to do my Tractor tanks for $150. out the door. He used to call em' and overgrown football..... Good luck!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 9:14pm
Like Steve says, any garage or rad shop can clean out the tank and make it new.  My 1960 D14 was as bad as you described.  They got it as clean as a whistle.  Also have them line the tank to prevent rust from forming in the future.  I do that with all of my tanks.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 9:52pm
you could start with a gallon of laquer thinner and let it set for a week... drain and see what you got.... pressure washer might help flush some out if it gets "loose" or gummy..

I had a backhoe that set in the field for 15 year.. Tank had a lot of rust inside.. Got out what i could, then put a sediment trap in the discharge, then a BIG filter inline to the carb... Got a lot out the first 2 years... Nothing after that..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Kevin210 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 10:10pm
Pretty much going to be at home job,
checked with a shop in Louisville,closet one to
me that would clean it,starting at 900.00
and up...
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 10:19pm
acitone  or crystal draino with the steam cleaner with asprayer ball
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 10:21pm
Really hot water works wonders 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 10:23pm
we deal with this on a daily basis that stuff when it starts to look like tar will will plug fuel lines every day until every last bit is gone
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 10:25pm
you get it clean you will not need to line the tank unless it leaks where you cant repair it
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2024 at 11:20pm
try some E-85 gas, the ethanol in it seems to help break down the varnish.

Good luck getting a radiator shop to do anything but a re-core, EPA has pretty much put them out of business doing anything.
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:18am
as Joe said, E85 works really good as a fuel tank/parts cleaning solvent for old gummy diesel/biodiesel. Use it to flush tanks, and filter bases. Brakleen to spray through injection lines as well as supply & return lines. Sadly you cannot run it through the fuel injection system though lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:29am
Wow! $900. bucks!  What a rip!!  Sheesh!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:57pm
$900.00 Just his way of say I don't want to do it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic