This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another one followed me home

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another one followed me home
    Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:40pm
A buddy and I went to an auction that had been postponed a few weeks, some of the best paint jobs I have ever seen on the machines. Five AC's a bunch of IHC's two Olivers, a MM and some Masseys.  Prices were fairly high but not outrageous.  Most of the tractors had not run for a year or two.  The first AC sold, a WD brought $1,200, then the WD45 next to it was $3,250, I think.  I was kind of interested in the next one, a '57 D14, as it looked good but the sale bill said the final drive needs work.  I bid once, $1,000 and got it.  Went back with my truck later, put gas in it, hooked up some jumpers to the battery and it started!  Don't know about the final drive but the forward position on the Power Director slips and the brakes need work or adjusting, so maybe I got really lucky!
BTW the wide front C brought around $3,000 and the nice little B was around $2,200.
If you want to see the entire lineup of machines, go to K-Wauctions.com and click on the Carol Bell sale.  Probably the most impressive price was for the 1933 Chevy pickup, complete but needing lots of restoration, $5,000!
Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:48am
John - interesting list! Hope you indeed got lucky. Were you able to check 3rd gear?
WC, CA, D14, WD45
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:25am
Was this out near Prospect? Bill Bell's collection? One of my friends (was best man at my wedding) Scott painted most of Bill's tractors. After reading more of your post I saw that I overlooked the part about Carol Bell. Bill was a great guy, and I always liked working on his tractors when they came in Prospect Impl, they were very well cared for. One of his sons (Kevin) bought my 82 Mustang years ago lol! Great family!

Edited by injpumpEd - 24 May 2020 at 9:28am
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:38am
You may get lucky and find any "noise" may be the brakes, or even worn eccentric inserts on the rims that "clunk" on the rails.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:55am
John,
Congratulations on the new D14! Sometimes you get lucky.
You have owned it long enough to have pictures up!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 4:09pm
I coasted it off the truck this morning, just before it started to rain, finally!  Didn't bother to try to start it.  Pulled the battery, NAPA, made in 2017, and put it on the charger in the shop, there's a chance it will take a charge.  Found the right brake is ok only the left doesn't work.  Have never worked on D series brakes, yet. Does the axle housing have to be removed to repair?  There was no noise when I loaded it or costed it off the truck so am thinking (hoping) it's just the PD needing adjustment.
Ed, I looked up Bill Bell's Obit, died  May 17, 2018, saw he grew up in Longmont and farmed there but I had never heard of him.  Several years ago I hauled a Farmall M to the Bell place and then hauled it home to the same guy that went to the sale with me, Scott painted it, a beautiful job, cost over a thousand bucks as I remember.  Scott gave us a tour of the tractors when I picked it up, must be 5 or 6 years ago.   I understand he lives in the little house on the place,  although it sold yesterday, so he may be moving.
They also sold a nice AGCO ST52 for $16.500 with 990 hr on it, bought from Prospect Imp.  I suspect some of the other ones came from there too.
Chris, I still haven't learned how to post pics but if you go to the K-Wauction.com site you can see all the tractors.

Ed, I plan on sending you the pump and injectors from my 190XT on Tuesday, is that OK?
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:59pm
Yes the final drive does need to be removed in order to do the brakes. 
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:51pm
Send it out when you can, and I'll put it on the list lol! Bill Bell farmed in the 80's and 90's south of Keenesburg, or sw of prospect valley. He was a good IH guy for sure. We sold him a few Whites as he was great at trying to support the local dealership. We would work on some of his IH tractors as well. Scott has been living in the little yellow house for a long time, I wonder if he bought it? I don't see him post much on fb, and it's been 10 years since I've been out there to visit, was likely a HS reunion, though he didn't go to weld central.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic