This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Dumb Idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Dumb Idea
    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 5:40pm
If,,, if I were to build a heated shop, it hit me tonight, what if I were to use ground up corn cobs for insulation? A poor mans insulation. I have been looking at YouTube at all of these rocket stove and they burn wood pellets. They also like to burn waist oil. Waist oil I have and cobs I can get.

Back to the insulation, I could use 1-1/2" on the outside in between and behind the 6x6's in the pole shed next to the outside steel. But what if ground up cobs were used from the 1-1/2" foam broad to the interior siding? Hang plastic against the foam broad and the interior siding. What do you think?

I picture a caster wheel cart pulled behind the Gleaner with an elevator catching cob off of the left side and putting them into a barge box wagon. The cart I already have.  
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 6:03pm
Sounds like an insect/rodent PARADISE LOL!!!Any idea of an R value? Fire rating? Good luck and keep us informed.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 6:04pm
As long as you can keep the material dry, varmint, and insect free, I guess the only drawback might be fire insurance.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 6:24pm
knew a guy had a sawmill and did a lot of planning lumber, had the brilliant idea of using shavings for attic insulation,, I think it was cedar shavings that did him in
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:07pm
I will pass on this idea. I didn't think about varmints or fire. Oh well.

Next-----
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:14pm
That is why we are here and why we all come here for advice... great bunch of inteligent , smart, and knoledgable people here, even if we cant';; spell.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:32am

Well,,Chit,,Unit,,,you just never know,,,until you bring it up and get other opinions,,Ya know,,,,,,,,??
 They's gotta be other good uses for all them by products,,,,,,,ClapClap
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:49am
re: They's gotta be other good uses for all them by products

COMPOST ! Give back to Mother Nature what you took. I keep increasing my compost additions to the wife's veggie gardens and it's now a TREAT to rototill. Veggies grow real nice....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:38am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: They's gotta be other good uses for all them by products

COMPOST ! Give back to Mother Nature what you took. I keep increasing my compost additions to the wife's veggie gardens and it's now a TREAT to rototill. Veggies grow real nice....
Gee......maybe that's what you get when you leave it in the field and work it into the soil like usual!WinkLOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:39am
Originally posted by marion marion wrote:

knew a guy had a sawmill and did a lot of planning lumber, had the brilliant idea of using shavings for attic insulation,, I think it was cedar shavings that did him in
"Did him in" ????
Andy E View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:54am
Play it safe get 4 politicians one in each corner That will give you enough HOT air to heat a 40 by 60 barn
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Andy E Andy E wrote:

Play it safe get 4 politicians one in each corner That will give you enough HOT air to heat a 40 by 60 barn

Wink DANG  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL We went political again. But I like it anyway.

But Andy,Wink it would be hard to get close tolerance  work done. All that blabbering back and forth from the corners my brain would need better hearing protection than I have ever had so far.Clap

I was going back to keeping the heat in the shop and exit politics,LOL but not really.

Out here with Fruits and Nuts straw bale building was all the rage just a few years ago. Now I have not seen much in the fake news about it. They claimed mice didn't like rice straw(there claim not mine). I can say it takes a long time to rot away as they had some left over bales they left sitting at the neighbors. But they built pole barn type buildings. Filled the space between posts with bales of straw,covered in chicken wire then plaster. Ended up with a Spanish adobe look on the outside. 

We don't ever get much under 20 F out here but get over 100 in summer and the neighbors winery stays between 60 and 80 without any heating or cooling. I will have to ask about fire insurance as we are on the bad list. Got notice my house fire will be canceled because I live among the Confused Fruits and Nuts.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 1:06pm
You won't be able to put the corn cob against the metal cause the metal siding would sweat and the the corn cob would hold the moister and mold and rust out the siding.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:00pm
Ray I remember hearing a lot about that a few years ago, not to much any more. It is next to impossible in this state to get building code variance, unless your filthy rich or have a brother in right place. Us common folk who could benefit from these things haven't a chance.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:53pm
Still, I would like to have a 5 gallon bucket of crushed up cobs. I have a hankering to build one of them rocket stoves I see on youtube. They should make things hot. 
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:15pm
There was an icehouse a few miles from my farm and the owner made ice and did meat cutting in it and the walls were filled with 4 t0 5 inches of ground corn cobs. The walls were made out of thick tongue  and groove boards.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:03pm
cobs will also absorb any humidity there is (fast). and i'm sure they would settle down over time and leave gaps. I to had thought about straw bale walls for a new house, all the vids I saw used the small square bales, so I thought maybe using the big square bales instead, I then called the person that is sposed to be an expert on the straw building process and they told me the big bales wouldn't work (???????)! guess i'd try a small building with the cobs in the walls, use see through plexiglass on the inside walls so you can see what goes on in there.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:55am
And the critters in there can see out!!! LOL
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:59am
Plexiglass isn't cheap....but it's a good idee...  Why not use news paper like they did back around the turn of the century?  And then they burned the corn cobs for heat.

How much time are you going to be spending out there working in it Tim?  They used to use cardboard also.  If you asked all your neighbors to start saving their Amazon boxes.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:05am
Wink I am easy to intertain so I like the Shameless idea of plexiglass. Watch the ants eat the termites.LOL I guess you would not need the whole wall see inWink. The bugs may want some privacy too.LOL
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Andy E Andy E wrote:

Yeah, but that is TOXIC air...
"Allis-Express"
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:51am
The old Ice House on the old family farm still had traces of sawdust in the walls just 10 years ago when I had a guy come and put a new floor under it. It has inch sheathing on both sides of the 2x4's. I guess in the 1850's when the place was built, you didn't run to Home Depot to pick up bags of cellulose for the wall insulation Wink
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 1:34pm
Maybe you need to have everyone save you the foam peanut they use for packing for insulation
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:05pm
Corn cobs have other uses, better than insulation.  We usedta have a gallon can fulla sweet corn cobs, in the ole outhouse!  Ever hear the expression rubbed him the wrong way?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:14pm
When they chopped the papers, they are sprayed with a fire retardant of sorts, so you could do that with cobs too. Rodents and other vermin will be a problem.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:29pm
Fiber Glass insulation will be your best bang for the $ IMO. Menards is the cheapest outlet I've seen BTW.
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:20am
Dad built a wood shop based on a chicken coop design--2"x6" stud construction, windows to the South, no windows on the East and North, and a small window to the West.  Blown in insulation with a hinged inside inspection door between 2 studs--on opening the door you could see through the visquine vapor barrier at the insulation.  Yes, it did settle a LITTLE but not much.  Super insulation in the ceiling too.  Nothing ever froze in there, even when the wood stove wasn't running.  R. Musgrave
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:27am
P.S on the last post:  tools and Cast Iron table saw top NEVER RUSTED in that Building, either summer nor winter, so in that respect, it works!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:40am
Growing up there were 10 large, each 40 x 80 by 40 ft height, ice house storage building across the highway from our house . They cut ice from the lake on our side of the highway and hauled it about a 1/4 mile up the highway to the ice houses - much of that hauling was done by teams of horses . Later by kind of stripped down trucks as no license plated then needed to run on State highway . 
 Those 10 buildings were all connected wall to wall with like 10x10 upright timbers with 1x6 shiplap wall - in between was sawdust insulation - I can remember going up with a wagon and getting ice there - and also late in the summer exploring those buildings and seeing large ice blocks covered in sawdust as they spread that between the blocks and around them to keep them from freezing together into one big lump .
  I worked on doing some grading around a house built out of straw bales which then were sprayed with concrete - kind of between gunite and stucco as both inside and outside of building were sprayed to cover straw . 
 Can't say It was a attractive looking structure inside or out . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:02pm
I remember that ice storage too Coke.  It was amazing to see ice sitting in a building like that with only sawdust all over the place.  It worked!
"Allis-Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic