This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another B (update 28 Jan 18) Final entry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:00pm
The 9-24 and 11.2-24 are probably the same size. The tire standard for width marking changed sometime in the 50s, I have forgotten what year. Before the change the tire width number was the width between the rim flanges, in this case 9 inches. After the change the width number is the widest width of the tire, nearly always wider than the rim width, in this case 11.2" The 9-24 tire should be very close to the same width and the same outside diameter and circumference as the 11.2-24. Which says the 9-24 tire is likely a half century old. They did make good tires back then with very long lives.

Gerald J.
Sponsored Links

GreenMule View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenMule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:09pm
Ain't nothing wrong with that, good job and thanks for sharing
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

The 9-24 and 11.2-24 are probably the same size. The tire standard for width marking changed sometime in the 50s, I have forgotten what year. Before the change the tire width number was the width between the rim flanges, in this case 9 inches. After the change the width number is the widest width of the tire, nearly always wider than the rim width, in this case 11.2" The 9-24 tire should be very close to the same width and the same outside diameter and circumference as the 11.2-24. Which says the 9-24 tire is likely a half century old. They did make good tires back then with very long lives.

Gerald J.

Thank you Gerald.  The 11.2 has a build date of 1989.  Couldn't find a date on the 9-24.  They are very close in diameter, but the 11.2 is noticeably taller.  I guess the 9-24 is a bit worn.  I appreciate the explanation.
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:16pm
I also installed a speedi sleeve and new PTO shaft seal today.  It was leaking like a sieve! Got parts at NAPA.  Speedi sleeve is 99138, seal is 13865. 

Edited by Hubnut - 15 Jan 2018 at 8:23pm
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 8:50am
Steve,
Good solid fix on the seal and new speedi sleeve! That should be much better!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 2:48pm
Let me Congratulate you on the PAINS you are taking to bring my favorite back. 
I am ashamed to say that when we repaired them we never took those precise pains. 
You sir, are doing an OUTSTANDING JOB!!!
I cannot wait to see the finished product.
Thanks again!!
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:04pm
Thanks guys.  That's an expensive fix, but one that has worked well for me in the past. 
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:43pm
From a practical standpoint restoring tractors to make a buck or two when you sell one is wishful thinking. Even restoring a rather rare little AC like a IB Won't get you back what you have tied up in it, Worse is a run of the mill B or C that can cost more than restoring a IB to a ten ;point level.  
 Do it for the fun you have huntin worn out Replacement parts and breathing paint fumes. For that matter first and formost  Never write down WHAT YOU SPEND OUT OF POCKET  or HOW MANY HOURS YOU HAVE IN THE PROJECT.
   Think of it as preserving a bit of history and restore your heart out for the good of all mankind from all walks of life.  Time out for another cup of Joe,    Kenny
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 10:26pm
how to measure rear tires.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 10:42pm
No way a 9.5 is the same size or almost the same size as a 11. 2.   I can tell the difference without them right next to each other.   Tire size in the old days was a 8., a 9, a 10,, a 12 and so on
  tire sizes back then  matched rim widths
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

From a practical standpoint restoring tractors to make a buck or two when you sell one is wishful thinking. Even restoring a rather rare little AC like a IB Won't get you back what you have tied up in it, Worse is a run of the mill B or C that can cost more than restoring a IB to a ten ;point level.  
 Do it for the fun you have huntin worn out Replacement parts and breathing paint fumes. For that matter first and formost  Never write down WHAT YOU SPEND OUT OF POCKET  or HOW MANY HOURS YOU HAVE IN THE PROJECT.
   Think of it as preserving a bit of history and restore your heart out for the good of all mankind from all walks of life.  Time out for another cup of Joe,    Kenny

Kenny,
You are absolutely correct.  I love these old machines and find it therapeutic to work on them and make them whole again.  Not in it for the money--that's for sure!
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

how to measure rear tires.

Thanks Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:35pm
Keep up the great work! Posts like these make me want to be in a shop repairing an Allis or painting on these winter days. I don't have a good shop to do that today, maybe in the future.
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:57pm
I just wonder how hard two mismatched tires are on a tractor, or if turning slow like they do would save the gears. I know it's a bad deal on four wheel drive and other applications. 
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

I just wonder how hard two mismatched tires are on a tractor, or if turning slow like they do would save the gears. I know it's a bad deal on four wheel drive and other applications. 

Good question Leon.  Anybody think this could be a problem--two mismatched rears?
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 10:53pm
Hubnut... here are a couple photos i promised you of an "orchard" model I built out of a standard B... very similar looking to an IB, but has the long torque tube, and homemade straight front axle.... your  NEXT project ?

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 2:59pm
Was off from work today and it was warm enough to finish up the painting.  I hate that part of the job!  Tomorrow should be about reassembly. 

1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 3:16pm
Steve,
 I like the custom spray cart! Great idea!
Pieces parts are looking real good.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:51pm
Started assembly today.  I thought I'd get the whole tractor done and running.  No.  Brake assembly and 3 point assembly took longer than anticipated.  I should be able to get it back together tomorrow.

1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 6:54pm
What all did you have to do for installing the Speedi sleeve?  Were things SO wore that that was the only option to you?
I'm going to assume that the B is the same as the C and the CA and keep those numbers for future use Steve.  I use my CA now for cutting grass and God only knows when I'll need to replace the seal in mine.
I used to use the 'C' for grass cutting and had 2 different size tires on it.  I don't remember the sizes off the top of my head, but can get them if anyone is really interested.  Anyway,  I now have to replace SOMETHING in the left side.  I am betting at the VERY LEAST it's the bearing, but who knows the damage to the shaft?  I won't know until I get into it.
So I'm betting that UN EQUAL sized tires aren't good for the rear ends.  I mean the bearing could have been ready to go, but what are the odds?.....

DANG, you go nice work Steve!!!  Too bad you aren't closer........I could sit and watch you all day while I'm drinking a beer.... 
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

You got it Ken!!
I kept track of about every penny I spent on my first one,,,,,,,,OUCH!!  Makes you think you don't ever want to do one again!!  Not so much the big stuff, it's the little things that cost so much.  And if you figured your time........how does LOOSING $50 and HOUR sound??  LOL LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:16pm
Steve,
Man its looking real good! Keep going, you almost got this one!
Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

What all did you have to do for installing the Speedi sleeve?  Were things SO wore that that was the only option to you?
I'm going to assume that the B is the same as the C and the CA and keep those numbers for future use Steve.  I use my CA now for cutting grass and God only knows when I'll need to replace the seal in mine.
I used to use the 'C' for grass cutting and had 2 different size tires on it.  I don't remember the sizes off the top of my head, but can get them if anyone is really interested.  Anyway,  I now have to replace SOMETHING in the left side.  I am betting at the VERY LEAST it's the bearing, but who knows the damage to the shaft?  I won't know until I get into it.
So I'm betting that UN EQUAL sized tires aren't good for the rear ends.  I mean the bearing could have been ready to go, but what are the odds?.....

DANG, you go nice work Steve!!!  Too bad you aren't closer........I could sit and watch you all day while I'm drinking a beer.... 

Ted,
Yeah, I wish there were more AC folks like you in my area.  Young people don't like working with their hands like us old farts.  The early Bs have a spiral groove in the PTO shaft to help oil the bearing.  This groove will cut new seals--hence the speedi sleeve.  Thanks for the info on the different sized tires.  I really don't want to replace the tires.  However, I got the 3 point to pull a finishing mower with this tractor.  I may have to spring for similar tires.  I thought because these have an open differential that the different tire size wouldn't matter.  Thanks for comments on the work.
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Steve,
Man its looking real good! Keep going, you almost got this one!
Regards,
 Chris

Chris,
Thank you.  I hope to get on it early tomorrow. 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:52am
Beautiful job Stevo!  Its to nice n' clean to get dirty!!  LOL! Three thumbs up man! Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 1:45pm
Man, that looks NICE! Big smileClapThumbs Up
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 5:24pm
Finished most of the assembly today.  Still have to hook up the lights and a few things here and there.  Used Katy Kubota to help install the engine weights. 

1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:54pm
I must have missed something...
what's that protruding from the battery box?

btw, the rest of the tractor looks just like mine... and then I wake up.
superb work, sir!

Edited by drobCA - 21 Jan 2018 at 7:58pm
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:21pm
drobCA,
It's an old (new) foot switch I had leftover from something else (like on 8Ns).  I figured there was no reason to buy anything I didn't need.  Thank you for the comments.
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:53pm
I thought that looked vaguely familiar...
very nice "owner engineering"!Thumbs Up

but, wow... if the Fun Police ever find you out you are in for a huuuuge fine!!!.
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic