This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

an other starter question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: an other starter question
    Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 6:35pm
i see starters advertised latley, discrition says -  will work on 6volt or 12 volt .   so witch is it                                      am i missing something ? 
Sponsored Links

KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:20pm
A 6V starter will work with a 12V battery, so no need to update a properly working  starter. But 12V won't work properly on 6V. 
 When you convert a 6V system to 12V system, (starter isn't polarity sensitive) (it's been going on for 40 years) most don't feel it necessary to replace starter. If you don't grind away on starter trying to start an engine that is in need of at least a tune-up, the starter will last indefinitely. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 7:37pm
how can it be advertised that way its either 6 0r 12   sure it will work   go on stiener and look up a starter for a 9n ford and read the discription   other places have simular ads
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 11:14pm
What KJCHRIS says.
I guess you can say that if it is actually a 6v starter.  Hooking up 12v to it will only make it spin faster, but will kill it if run to long.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 6:27pm
Sorry to disagree with you KJ CHRIS but you're wrong! Bad info there. You can run 12 volts through a 6V Starter motor, but its not going to last indefinitely! When running 12 volts through 6V field coils, it makes the Starter motor violent. In turn, eventually it's going to tear up a ring gear, crack a nose cone, bend or clean the teeth off the drive, or some kinda damage. Been doing this type of work for over 50 years. Trust me, indefinitely is not the word to use here...... Mike, someone has their head up their a$$ with that advertisement. You know as well as I. Its one way or the other.....  LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:04pm
I'm not in that business at all but have seen and replaced a lot of parts including ring gears with teeth missing, stripped starter drive(s), (or those with sprag clutches torn out) and even commutator sections thrown apart from centrifugal force when doubling designed voltage input such as these incomplete conversions.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:19pm
i guess part of it kind of pisses me off on how parts and part numbers are misrepresented    just seen another ad for a crankshaft it did give a part number i did not check it out but it said fits wd45 d17 170 175  and the guy selling the parts aint going to know,   we are restoringing a 9n for a guy and he wants it all 12v  well i dont want to spend my money on a 6v starter  and if it was staying 6v it sure would not do any good to have it turn out to be a 12v starter  how many of you guys ever used 8volts battery in your 6v system, i have not installed one of those for some one in at least 10 years 
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

...  how many of you guys ever used 8volts battery in your 6v system, i have not installed one of those for some one in at least 10 years 

My late Father-in-law ran an 8 volt battery in his WD for 30+ years, seemed to work fine until the engine locked up one winter (totally unrelated to the 8 volt battery). I have the tractor now, it is on my long list of projects.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:56pm
I have seen several older tractors around here with eight volt batteries installed, but have never installed one myself. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 9:06am
An 8 volt Battery is a band-aid. If the customer wants the system changed over to 12V, do it right and do it 12 changing ALL components. If he wants to keep it 6V have the components totally rebuilt the correct way, and the system should work fine. BTW, 8 volt Batteries are a PIA to charge. Like I said, they're just a band-aid for an existing problem. Sluggish Starter, undercharging Gennie, old or under gauged wiring, etc.
Steve@B&B

Edited by Steve in NJ - 07 Mar 2024 at 9:10am
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 9:23am
The way I look at it, these engines were made to start on a hand crank.  You shouldn't need much cranking and it shouldn't need to crank faster than a good 6 volt starter can manage.  If the starter spins virtually at all, if it doesn't start in less than 10 or 12 revolutions, something else is going on- carb, mag (or distributor), plugs, etc.

Edited by HoughMade - 07 Mar 2024 at 9:26am
1951 B
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by HoughMade HoughMade wrote:

The way I look at it, these engines were made to start on a hand crank.  You shouldn't need much cranking and it shouldn't need to crank faster than a good 6 volt starter can manage.  If the starter spins virtually at all, if it doesn't start in less than 10 or 12 revolutions, something else is going on- carb, mag (or distributor), plugs, etc.

Agreed.
If the engine is plumb worn-out, as was the situation with my Father-in-law's WD, then a bit more cranking speed can be helpful. When you can hand crank an engine and hear the compression leaking past the rings, you know you have problems.

He kept that old WD going until he could no longer drive it, so I reckon it was good enough for him, and now it is SEP (Somebody Else's Problem).

I intend to rebuild it back to stock including 6 volt generator. Just because.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 5:57pm
Sounds like a plan Les!  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic