This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis WD NFE (Was Dads)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 7:35am
Oooppps!

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Jun 2015 at 7:50am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

GaryL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 9:14am
Fantastic work, Chris.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Nope its not a high end show tractor, still has some dings dents pits and flaws.

Uh... Chris... I hate to break it to 'ya, but that IS a high-end show tractor... if it was devoid of any dings, dents, and flaws, it would be without soul.

Excellent work, my friend! I wish I could manage to do have as well...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 8:15am
Guys thanks!
We have been leveling body panels this weekend, and the final orange has been applied to all items except for the egg tail light. ( I have to get one from another tractor).

Rolled this tractor out of the garage and I attempted to start this WD Friday night.
Had coolant leak at water pump hose. Finally double clamped it and it slowed it down.
Gas leaks at both ends of the new fuel line. Tightened those.
Gas leak at the sediment bowl. Finally took out the screen and trimmed it down so the glass bowl fit against the rubber seal. Then we had a leak free system at that end. Carb tried to flood as normal. So shutting the gas off has become standard practice. Just like in the old days!:)
Minor oil leak at front of pan area. Tightened the pan bolts gently.
Adjusted the fan belt.
So hit the starter and she spun over fast! In fact the starter was slamming so hard I afraid it was going to damage something! Tightened the started set screw.
No action. Started to immediately second guess what I could have done wrong in the assembly! Check, double check. Everything looks good. Had gas running out drain in carb. cleaned plugs.
Seemed to be electrical. Had the cap off and rolled it over and no spark across the points. Called Gary G. and he suggested cleaning the points. I sanded them with some 400 grit and cleaned them. Checked again had a nice spark. Replaced the cover, rotor, cap and hit the starter. She fire up on the first quarter turn!
Oil pressure is good. Water temp comes up to normal.
Sat**day I took the WD for its first spin around the yard. First impressions were very good. Nice tight steering. Very responsive throttle. Idles down nice. Very little rear end whine compared to my other WD (wide front end).
Adjusted the foot clutch to allow the drive line to stop turning.
I have some pictures and will get them loaded soon.
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Sep 2020 at 5:41am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
VFDfireman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VFDfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:41am
Awesome. Sounds like progress that is nearing completion!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 8:46pm
Folks,
Good evening.

Made a mistake on the hood that may require repainting. I added the stiffener underneath and it was hitting the tank. When I cut it off, the paint got hot and left 3 dime size marks in front of the gas tank, in the center of the hood.

Fenders in primer/sealer

Hood ( this is the one that was smashed up pretty bad).

Some pictures, sans fenders and hood.

WD narrow front end and its stable mate re-joined.

Will get some more hardener for the top coat and repaint the hood.
Also cleaning up some milk cans, with implement seats, and going to paint them PO#1 for the July Sagertown PA show.
Purchased a seat cushion from Sandy Lake and I like it better than the one on the other tractor.  Some more pictures tomorrow.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Jun 2015 at 8:51pm
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 9:43pm
I love the white wheels. The two tone makes them look tougher somehow.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:05pm
I remember seeing one of those milk can seats painted up Allis Chalmers orange somewhere.
Those tractors look great Chris.

Jim

Edited by hd1937 - 09 Jun 2015 at 6:15pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 7:21am
Originally posted by hd1937 hd1937 wrote:

I remember seeing one of those milk can seats painted up Allis Chalmers orange somewhere.
Those tractors look great Chris.

Jim

Jim,
 I am going to work on those milk cans today and Sandy Lake is going to surprise me with a variety of AC decals.

Folks some of the pictures as the final work was completed on this family WD.

final paint.

Assembly help was provided by my son Adam.

Yep that's the old man (me) With the tractor parked in Cheryl's spot in the garage!

Hood fit up. ( I hind site should have tried all the sheet metal for fit prior to final paint!

Tail light bucket had to have a weld added between bolt and shell to get ground.
Also got the low wattage bulbs to reduce the heat. ( Had a 1156 in the other tractor, and was WAY to hot!).

Stole the glass lens from the other WD till the new one comes in from Sandy Lake.

Found this chrome cap but do have a original coming from Sandy Lake. (this one is growing on me and adds a little bling to the old girl) :) 4 inches in front of the cap is where the hood paint was discolored due to heat. I chose not to repaint the whole hood for this.

I like this seat cushion!

Decals applied.

I believe we are complete on this WD restoration! I will probably have a few more pictures in the future.
So far I am very pleased with this tractor. It runs and drives nice, maybe like when it was new? And at this point I don't have any oil leaks!
Thanks so much for all the positive responses during this WD restoration! Special thanks to all the folks and suppliers that I got parts from!

Restored in memory of Earl and Eleene Casbohm (Dad and Mom)!

Regards,
 Chris

Brandon(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 9:26am
Looks Awesome! Very, Very nice work.   
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 12:36pm
Fan-dang-tastic!!!  Looks great!!!Thumbs UpThumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 5:46pm
Chris,
A beautiful job!  I love seeing an old tractor refurbished properly.
Steve
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 7:51pm
Thanks guys!

Question: Electrical in nature. (This is on the WD with the wide front end.) I have a alternator and a volt meter in the dash. For several months it seemed to work OK. Recently when I rev up the tractor the volt meter does not show very much charge if any, stays right on 12? I did check the battery while running and with a volt meter it showed about 13 volts.
Tractor starts good.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Jun 2015 at 9:19am
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 8:13pm
Holy cow, those are 2 fantastic looking WD's.  I think, better than new!

Was going to show a picture of the narrow front WD to my '52 WD, but was afraid mine would even start leaking (I mean crying) more because of jealousy.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by macvette macvette wrote:

Holy cow, those are 2 fantastic looking WD's.  I think, better than new!

Was going to show a picture of the narrow front WD to my '52 WD, but was afraid mine would even start leaking (I mean crying) more because of jealousy.

Thanks,
 These are just two old family farm tractors. A fresh coat of paint and some decals. They have been retired to a little easier life. They both deserve it!
 I enjoy taking either one for a short road trip.

Regards,
 Chris
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 10:27pm
Great job Chris! BEAUTIFUL pair you have there!
What's next on your refurb list???????
Ray W.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 8:57am
Thanks Ray!
Hope everyone's day is going good. I am off to help at local beekeepers meeting today, as 40 hives will have new queens installed. Tonight we have our Tractor club meeting.
Next projects: I may not have these in the order Cheryl wants:)
I have the AC plow project on the list of refurbs. (Taking parts from a 3 bottom and making a good set of two bottom snap coupler plows.) Not sure I will have these done for the July 18, local Pioneer Steam and Gas show?
Couple of milk cans to be completed in Persian Orange and Cream.
Also pulled a model 73 Cub Cadet out of storage, it needs a engine rebuild.
Then there is a #1 Cub Cadet cart that need scrubbed and painted.
House needs a new kitchen and make over.
So I think I have plenty to work on.
Hope things are good in ORANGE land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Jun 2015 at 9:21am
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 7:17pm
Great job, Chris! 
My hat's off to you!
A suggestion if I may:
To help with steering, might I suggest a silver/chrome/aluminum spinner knob that would also add another hint of bling? 
Again, awesome piece of work!
Have a great weekend!
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Jim Hancock Jim Hancock wrote:

Great job, Chris! 
My hat's off to you!
A suggestion if I may:
To help with steering, might I suggest a silver/chrome/aluminum spinner knob that would also add another hint of bling? 
Again, awesome piece of work!
Have a great weekend!

Jim,
Thanks! Spinner knob. Humm, I will have to think on that one.:)
Just pulled the two sets of plows out of the bushes today and moved them near the garage. (will start another thread on that project)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 9:42pm
Folks,
 Currently have the WD starter blues. Starter spins inward, clashes with ring gear and starts, or more often than not it doesnt start and just spins the bendix gear. Installed another starter and it immediately broke the bendix spring and lodged a piece of the bendix in the windings, wedging that starter in locked and shorted position. So I will be looking into a new bexdix or different starter for this narrow front end WD. Pretty much normal stuff for tractors of this age. I did look at the ring gear and it has some wear but should still work. Will tear the other starter apart in the morning to evaluate if I have enough parts to make one starter? Probably new brushes should be installed also. Might take this to local shop or have B&B quote me a rebuild and set it up for 12 volt too.
This starter has been slamming since day one on 12 volt so I new this was going to be a issue.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 Aug 2015 at 9:43pm
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 10:22pm
Chris,
My hat is off to you! Well done. It is like driving a new tractor. Way to go. Lots of hard work and you got the know how also.
Pastor Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 10:23pm
Sounds like my starter on the my C that I just put a post up about!

Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Folks,
 Currently have the WD starter blues. Starter spins inward, clashes with ring gear and starts, or more often than not it doesnt start and just spins the bendix gear. Installed another starter and it immediately broke the bendix spring and lodged a piece of the bendix in the windings, wedging that starter in locked and shorted position. So I will be looking into a new bexdix or different starter for this narrow front end WD. Pretty much normal stuff for tractors of this age. I did look at the ring gear and it has some wear but should still work. Will tear the other starter apart in the morning to evaluate if I have enough parts to make one starter? Probably new brushes should be installed also. Might take this to local shop or have B&B quote me a rebuild and set it up for 12 volt too.
This starter has been slamming since day one on 12 volt so I new this was going to be a issue.
Regards,
 Chris

It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 9:07pm
[QUOTE=allischalmerguy]Sounds like my starter on the my C that I just put a post up about!

Yea I was following your post also. I have a new counterclockwise Bendix to pick up at NAPA in the morning. If it works it may be a little cheaper than on line. Also called Sandy lake they recommended getting the bendix from a local auto parts dealer. They did give me the Delco starter model number.
What I need to figure out is, where folks have shimmed these to get more engagement of the bendix gear with the ring gear.?? It would have to move the bendix gear more towards the front of the tractor. Just not sure how that is done?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Aug 2015 at 9:09pm
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 3:02am
Chris,
I moved the gear placement on one of mine. I Tig welded the old set screw hole in on the armature shaft. Then drilled a new one about 3/16" to an 1/8" closer to the end of the armature shaft. Be careful not to warp the shaft. And don't go to far so that the gear has a harder time disengaging the ring gear.
Ray W.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:32pm
Ray,
 Thanks for the information. I never thought of moving the hole in the shaft. That seems like a bunch of work too. I was thinking of maybe washers at the back of the armature shaft moving the bendix forward. Also thinking about how to maybe adjust/ move /hold the starter more forward. If the tapered hole/ bolt holding the starter was adjusted the starter could be 1/8 more forward.
So the real problem seems to be the ring gear condition is well warn in the area where the engine stops.
I did take two starters apart to get the best parts. Re-installed it helped a little but still had same problems, pointing again to the ring gear.
I talked to local shop and they said they could put in 12 volt brushes and have a rubber driven bendix vs the spring driven version. Neither one of these starter fixes helps the ring gear. I did go in and removed some of the burs on the teeth of the ring gear in the most worn area. The depth of the wear looks to be about .10 inches off the face of the ring gear in the most worn area.
Did get it started by turning the engine over just a little with the crank. Took a ride down the road a ways to watch the sun set.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Aug 2015 at 8:32pm
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 10:12pm
chris, i hate to say it but it sounds like it's time for a ring gear.those engines aren't that bad to pull.just a big pain and all with just getting it back together and looking so nice.sure is one purdy tractor buy the way,one heck of a job.i can only hope to get mine looking half as nice some day.    DAVE
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 8:13am
Heck, if you got a hand crank, no need to fix the ring gear right away Big smile Ask Pastor Mike how my Lena started when he was here. Can't remember if it took 3 quarter turns or just 2. The first one with the choke on shouldn't count Geek
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 8:57pm
Dave, CTucker,
Thanks for the hints. I am cheap and lazy and try about everything before doing work:) I could crank it if I had too.
Here is what I did and it seems to be working so far. (Yes a new ring gear may be in the future. I have swapped one WD engine From a WD parts tractor, so I do know the moves to make.)

Couple days ago I used a dremel tool and grinding wheel to remove burrs from the ring gear teeth in the warn area.
So I took the starter apart again. There were 1/8 inch thickness of washers at the front end of the bendix. I took those out and placed them at the rear of the starter. This allowed the bendix to move forward farther. Second I took a piece of .040 brass shim stock 1/2 inch wide and wrapped the nose cone (just behind the machined surface) with part of the shim covering the front of the tapered hole. Gently tapped the brass into the front of the tapered hole and then ground a little clearance at the back of the tapered hole. This forces the starter assembly towards the ring gear. Gaining another .040 into the ring gear!

Note to self: be more careful! While pulling the brush holders outward I slipped off with the pick/hook I was using and stabbed my arm with the pick end about 2 inches deep. Ouch. That was shortly after jamming a screwdriver into my little finger. Ever have one of those days?

Anyway the WD starts way better now! In fact it has not had a issue in half dozen starts and sounds way better while starter is engaged. (No crashing sound!)

Thanks guys for the WD starter support!
Yea it still will need a ring gear someday.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Aug 2015 at 9:09pm
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:02pm
Some good thinking there Chris.
Ray W.
allischalmersbrad View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmersbrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 11:01pm
Great job!!! I just have one question, why the white wheels? Sorry if you answered that before, I didn't read whole post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic