This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis WD NFE (Was Dads)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by LSilseth LSilseth wrote:

Cool pics. Ours is down to the cast iron too, but we don't have the back wheels off.    

PS: Sorry for the blank post Ermm I am still learning this forum.Confused

Not a problem! take your time. I have had way to much practice on this forum and several others too.
 If I spent more time doing things rather than talking about them I would have most of my stuff done:)
Both these WD's needed rear rim work and bearings and seals.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Jan 2015 at 7:46pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 8:14pm
Folks,
 I made a run at these rear wheels for Dad's WD today. Some shots as to how I assemble them. No one ever taught me, so this is my method. Seems to work.

I tape the rail contact item into the bracket. The tape will be removed after the brackets are in place.

Wheel stops are ready. Note to self: check the holes and make sure they are not full of rust in the rails.

Add the first bracket to the wheel finger tight. Make sure the ecentric is in the unlocked position ( turned counter clockwise).

Stand the rim/tire about vertical with the rail holes at the bottom.

Install the rail stops and tighten.

I then set the wheel and first bracket in between these stops and reach through the center of the rim to install the bolts in the next bracket. (sorry my hands were full holding the wheel prior to the second bracket being installed).

After all the brackets are installed, remove the tape holding the contact metal parts in place.

All brackets in position with bolts finger tight. I tighten all four eccentrics about half way. then tighted the 8 nuts on the bracket bolts to the wheel.

Then tighten the eccentrics to full lock.
I wiped down the tires with Bleach White product just to get the dust off.
Touched up some paint issues and set them aside.

Back on the tractor.

I did find it today, and was able to raise it and attach my rear support which allows me to safely clean the castings and start inspections. Also allows me to install the new final drive bearing races, and the wheels will be able to be installed at a later date.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Jan 2015 at 8:16pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 9:37pm
sugarmaker.....I noticed you had one of your rear rims split.did you turn it to a 16.9 rim or just do a repair?i have a 45 diesel puller I want to add a section to widen the rim for a 16.9 tire.how much trouble was it to break the slide bars loose? thx.....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 9:33am
Originally posted by j.w.freck j.w.freck wrote:

sugarmaker.....I noticed you had one of your rear rims split.did you turn it to a 16.9 rim or just do a repair?i have a 45 diesel puller I want to add a section to widen the rim for a 16.9 tire.how much trouble was it to break the slide bars loose? thx.....

J.W.
The rim was cut in half to replace one half that was rusted very bad. I did not widen the rim.
Here is one area to look for. Check the rail construction to the rim, are they welded with a bead on the rail sides or resistance welded through the rim? If welded on the outside (bead of weld) then you can carefully cut into the weld and separate them.  If the rim was built with spot welding process it is going to just about ruin that side of the rim to save the rails or the donor rim replacement. (I have not done a spot welded (resistance welded) rim repair.
You might look at D17 rims I think they are made wider, to handle your tires or combine rims might be the ticket too?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 9:39am

What does (NEF) mean? I have never heard that before.
I am working on a WD-45 right now(: it is our first restoration project.  

L,
Take and post some pictures of your tractor project please!
Regards,
 Chris
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 9:57am
L,
Take and post some pictures of your tractor project please!
Regards,
 Chris
[/QUOTE]

Will do. It might be little bit(:Smile
MN FARM BOY
Luke
www.silsethfamilyfarm.com
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 10:03am
How do I get a pic from email to here?
Luke
MN FARM BOY
Luke
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 10:45am
https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/?ui=2&ik=964ae496f6&view=att&th=14a8e421513e589c&attid=0.7&disp=safe&zw

I am trying post a pic Wacko
MN FARM BOY
Luke
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 10:47am
And I guess that did not work): 
MN FARM BOY
Luke
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 11:04am
Sugarmaker can I send it you thou email? My Chromebook does not want to post pics on here.
MN FARM BOY
Luke
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 12:57pm
Luke,
 You sure can I think my email is in my profile if not PM (private message) me and I can give it to you. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your tractor project.
BTW posting pictures on here works best for me through photobucket.
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Feb 2015 at 9:13pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 7:31pm
Folks,
 Pulled the old draw-bar and brackets off the WD. I have a real nice draw-bar and cradle from the parts WD that will be cleaned up at some point and mounted on this tractor. This unit does not have a snap coupler. Not much else happening since the cold weather has set in. 12 degrees right now. Stay warm out there!
Regards,
 Chris

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 7:53pm

How do I get a pic from email to here?
Luke

Pictures HAVE to be uploaded  to some site on the internet to view here. You can upload to your file manager on this site, or to a photo hosting site like Photobucket.com or Picasa which is Googles pic sharing site. Then you link to the site where your pic is stored so we can see it.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 7:55pm
Hopefully Luke figures out the picture thing because he is doing a real nice job getting that tractor looking good!

Here are some shots as I make a little progress on Dad's WD.

I have applied some of the paint remover and let it work while puttering with other stuff. Many coats of paint on this old girl.

Removed the draft spring assembly. Had to use the torch to heat one of the areas of the transmission where a bolt would not come out. My Uncle had welded a stop on this instead of having the bent arm come up to the hydraulic pump controls, not sure why?

Opened up the rear end and cleaned it out. Looks OK to me.

Going to pull the shift tower off and check inside and then make a gasket for it. Also will tighten up the shifter slot and button at some point.

The new draw bar has been disassembled and is ready for cleaning.

Rear end cover had a big dent so that was gently worked back out and most of the paint removed.

Left brake drum looks new. Right drum has some grooves where it had been worn by the rivets during its life. But the tractor has good brake shoes on both sides so I am not going to change the right brake drum.

Removed some of the caked grease and crud from underside of the castings. All holes will be chased with a tap. Both rear chambers drained. Also cleaned both under sides of the final drive castings while down there. :)

Regards,
 Chris

j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 8:25pm
hey sugarmaker,yo may already know,but I am a firm beliver in east off oven cleaner to remove the grease and oil after removing all the accumulated top soil.hit it with a 3400 psi press washer.expidite expidite.....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 9:04am
j.w.,
Never thought about oven cleaner. Great suggestion. Not sure I can do the pressure washer on this right now but will keep that in mind on future clean up projects!
We don't expedite much any more. Did that for 40 years at work. Now we procrastinate, kick back, and enjoy it!Big smile
Regards,
 Chris
Farmer1782178 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmer1782178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 10:52pm
Chris, firstly if like to say I have followed your post of your projects on here for over a year now(when I started on my grandpas wd) and love reading about your projects. Anyways since i finished the wd I just acquired a series 1 d15 and we have put a lot of work into getting it running right and fixing odds and ends but anyway I have one of the front rims off to fix the tube(thorn hole) and rust out around valve stem hole but while I had it off I figured I might as well go ahead and paint it so that whenever I decide to restore it that will be one less thing to do and it's easier to paint with tire off than on. I noticed you painted your rear centers cream and was wondering what kind/color it is and where you got it from. It looks really similar to the color I want . Keep up the hard work and hope all is good in allis land!
-Luke

Edited by Farmer1782178 - 20 Jan 2015 at 7:36am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Farmer1782178 Farmer1782178 wrote:

Chris, firstly if like to say I have followed your post of your projects on here for over a year now(when I started on my grandpas wd) and love reading about your projects. Anyways since i finished the wd I just acquired a series 1 d15 and we have put a lot of work into getting it running right and fixing odds and ends but anyway I have one of the front rims off to fix the tube(thorn hole) and rust out around valve stem hole but while I had it off I figured I might as well go ahead and paint it so that whenever I decide to restore it that will be one less thing to do and it's easier to paint with tire off than on. I noticed you painted your rear centers cream and was wondering what kind/color it is and where you got it from. It looks really similar to the color I want . Keep up the hard work and hope all is good in allis land!
-Luke

Luke,
 The color scheme I used was Rustoleum Antique White in the centers and Rustoleum Silver metallic for the rim.
Sounds like your addicted to the orange tractors also. Thanks for following along on the WD repair/restoration too. Do you have some progress pictures of the D15? Would love to see them.
Funny you should mention front rims. That's part of what I have been working on for the last two days. I had a flat on the Working WD NFE and put on a tire/rim that was going to go to the current WD.
So yesterday and today I took the tires and had them de-mounted. The worst rim had to be patched in the valve stem hole. about the size of a dollar bill folded in half.
And the inside was very rusty. Fixed the hole, drilled a new one in another position and had the shop mount a used tire and tube on that rim to go on the working WD. At ths same time I had them demount the two good rims. I will start to clean those up and get ready for a new pair of Samson brand 6.00 x 16 gtri ribs that are on order.
Like you said one more thing out of the way.

Did spend some quality time on Dad's WD last night and put in the best used brass collar for the hand clutch added the new seal in the case for the pivot shaft, and got that back together.
Pulled off the shifter tower for some tuning.
Ordered a bunch of gaskets from Sandy Lake today. including oil pan gasket set and Hydraulic pump gaskets.
That should keep me busy for a day or two.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Jan 2015 at 11:32am
Farmer1782178 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmer1782178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 8:18pm
Your wd collection looks swell sugarmaker and i bleed orange and love it... Anyways is there a way i can email you the pictures or something because they are on my phone and i not sure/have the time to upload them.
-Luke
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Farmer1782178 Farmer1782178 wrote:

Your wd collection looks swell sugarmaker and i bleed orange and love it... Anyways is there a way i can email you the pictures or something because they are on my phone and i not sure/have the time to upload them.
-Luke

Luke,
 Email them to me. Would like to see your progress.

Folks,
 Some shots not a lot of action at this time.

Front rims get some attention with paint remover. These should clean up good and be solid rims. Minimal surface rust.

Shift tower is off and will get the slop taken out of the shift lever ball slot where it engages the square pin.

Transmission gears. some rounding of the teeth.

Hand clutch collar in place.

Just a couple before engine shots. prior to diss-assembly for gasket replacement.

This WD project will take a back seat to making maple syrup soon.
Regards,
 Chris

Regards,
 Chris
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 6:54am
Chris,
Love the pics! Yer' gettin' quite a bit done there. I've been following along with your progress also. Sometimes ya just havta' replace nuts, bolts and stuff. I don't trust 70 year old bolts, nuts n' lock washers, but that's just me. LOL! I think the new bolts just add to the detail. Adds to the budget to I might add!! LOL! Keep rollin' buddy she's taken shape. Best part about it is its your Dad's Tractor! That's very COOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 2:41pm
Steve,
Are you getting any weather to work on the WF?
We have just normal Erie winter weather and I just haven't felt like doing much in the cold garage. Worked a little on the shift tower. welded up the slot in the shifter and whittled a new slot.
On a side note I did add up most of the receipts from the last tractor and I am pretty sure you can buy them cheaper than you can build them! But it is a family tractor and I had the satisfaction in doing the project and learning a lot.
Another thing is that unless you take these down to the last bolt and replace every seal and gasket they are going to leak a little:)
Regards,
 Chris

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 7:13pm
The weather turned pretty cold the past couple weeks round here Chris, so haven't even looked at the WF. She's blanketed over and tarped for now. I'm to much of a wiener to go outside and work. I'm in and out of the weather all day at work fixin' trucks and heavy equipment, so when I git' home at night, takes a while to git' the chill outta' these old bones! LOL! I have plenty of customer work to do in the basement shop, so I git' warmed up down there. This month is almost shot already, so one more tough cold weather, snowy month to go, and hopefully we'll be pullin' outta' this crap!  Woo Hoo! Bring on Spring!!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 7:53pm
Folks,
 Wire wheel work on one of the front rims and some primer on one side.  Since I ordered the tires a few days ago these rims need to be finished soon. Ready to remove the hydraulic pump for a seal/gasket tune up.
Cold night.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 7:36pm
Front rims cleaned and primed, one has some silver applied. Just basic blocking and tackling as we make some small advances.
Was able to pull the HYD pump.
Hope things are good out there in tractor land.
Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 12:29pm
Chris, it looks like it's coming along just fine.  GREAT work and GREAT pics!  These will help some others down the line!
I think you need some vacation Clap...Com on to Wisconsin and take a break on those WD's.  I'll let you take on a WD45.  How's that sound for a vacation? Big smile LOL
  Oh, and after that...Confused
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Chris, it looks like it's coming along just fine.  GREAT work and GREAT pics!  These will help some others down the line!
I think you need some vacation Clap...Com on to Wisconsin and take a break on those WD's.  I'll let you take on a WD45.  How's that sound for a vacation? Big smile LOL
  Oh, and after that...Confused

Ted I do need to come to Wisconsin, Never been there. But have a friend in Gillett. You any where close to there? And I am getting some 45 time aslo. A friend has 3 of them and I was helping him rework a starter last week.
After working on the WD's I can now start to see the differences between those and the 45's.
Was able to spend some quality time with the WD front rims today. Ready for tires next week.
Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 7:49pm
Chris, that is on the other side of the state.  Alex09(WI)  is close to there though.
Pretty soon it will be spring and I can work on mine!  I HAVE to get brakes in the C first and then maybe get the D-17 going good.  CAN'T WAIT!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 1:41pm
I know what you guys mean about wintertime bla's. Been sitting in the house all day. I did go down in Kentucky Friday and pick up a 45 motor for parts.. Need to get busy.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 4:37pm
Jay, folks,
Yea I have to push myself a little more this time of year.
Hey did anyone notice the two rims I was working on are not a matched pair. One had small holes in between each of the lug bolt holes. Well I really did not notice myself till they were done. So after painting yesterday, extra holes were added today to make them look a little closer.  I have to go load some pictures.
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic