This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Grader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Grader
    Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 9:38am
Our local Town's Allis Grader, Doesn't get used much, but it does run

Edited by Charlie175 - 14 Nov 2018 at 9:39am
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Sponsored Links

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 11:44am
Nice unit!
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 1:15pm
Probably well maintained if it belongs to the Town...
Pay attention when they want to sell...
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 2:34pm
Sweet unit!! thanks; ac fleet
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 2:56pm
i never understood why the little D got hydraulics before the big flagship graders
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

i never understood why the little D got hydraulics before the big flagship graders

I've wondered that a thousand times myself. For instance, my forty five is a late 50's unit. Hydraulics were plenty adequate by that Era to run all of the functions. It has hydraulics on it for the V plow and the wing. Only explanation I have for it is, there was so much R & D into the knuckle busters that they had to use them for years to re-coop the cost of it.
BTW, that is a very nice little D. Thanks for the picture. Darrel
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 6:16pm
My theory is that they had the demand for a little grader, so production began to soar! anything being sold a lot has the demand, so that's where the innovation starts!Wink
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 7:24pm
Good question, particularly since Galion started using hydraulics in 1926 IIRC'

I also gather that Le Torneau was anti-hydraulics

The 45 parts book shows factory hydraulics for moulboard power shift.

Edited by Ian Beale - 15 Nov 2018 at 7:28pm
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 7:53am
My 145T  is a '61 and its still mechanical but had optional hydraulic moldboard side shift

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 8:02am
Town is talking about selling it. I told them to keep it for the Gravel alleys. The younger guys just use the backhoe for everything.

I think they broke the pivot pin at some point trying to get a rock out on a road. Have to look at it.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 10:55pm
You better get it bought before the KIDS tear it up
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:26am
   Good morning.
   This appears to be a 'sweet' grader. It appears to be manufactured after mid 1961, as it has a 8' beam. It will have a G226, 58HP gas engine (D17). I do not know if it will have Hyd. brakes. Factory cab, leaning front wheels, larger fuel tank, 12 ft. blade (10' was standard), not banged up.

Go get it,

If it has the auxiliary transmission - BONUS. This Aux. tranny drops the speed in each gear by 66%. The operator could keep his RPM's high in order to maintain the Hyd. operations, while controlling his road speed with proper transmission gearing. With a full blade of gravel you need to maintain your RPM's, while 'rolling' the gravel at the proper ground speed. It appears that this Aux. trans is relatively rare. I believe that it would double the value of the grader.

I understand that the 'D' grader was assembled in the A C plant on Dawson Rd. in Guelph Ontario. This plant also produced the electric forklifts, and electric pumps.

Here is a picture of my 'D Special' grader with Calvin Schmidt grading one of his many farm driveways. High RPM's, full blade of gravel 'rolling' from the grader.

Ross.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:25pm
The other good thing, design wise, on AC graders is the Roll Away cutting edge.  When pushing a blade full, the spoil rolls away from the top of the pile, instead of compacting, like other graders do...
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:40pm
Ross D- what else do you know about the Canadian plant?  I've also seen wheel loaders that say: Manufactured in Canada under license by Allis Chalmers Rumely Ltd (or something like that) .  I assume those loaders were manufactured in Guelph as well?
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 8:04pm
Ross. It was a low RPM ! just nicely above a fast idle. The Guelph plant made forklifts and some very large forklifts, some models of smaller articulated loaders, assembled some graders etc. One of the main products was industrial pumps. It later became ITT AC pump division.  Some products were assembled in Guelph to get around the customs duties in place at the time.  
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 2:12am
Is that the one Calvin you said your friend wanted to put Behlen power steering on??? Hope all is well with you.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 5:35am
Yes Ross is installing the Behlen power steering 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:21pm
That is probably why it hasn't been fixed. No one wants to drive it anymore because it doesn't have power steering. My old D grader turned into a different machine once I added power steering.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:54am

Don.    No doubt the power steering would probably have been nice for you especially. How many years did you use the D grader to build and maintain the roadways and driveways on the Island?

I do not understand why A C did not install more power steering units. I see very few that appear to be factory installed. According to the manuals, A C had many versions of these units and they were all driven by a separate pump assy. that was mounted on the RH side of the engine ( similar to the mounted pump on the LH side of the motor which supplied the main hyd. system ). Most people appear to have tapped into the main hyd. system. rather than installing a separate pump system. It seems to me that I recall you installed a separate pump system which ran off the crankshaft. You also installed a scarifier that was mounted on the back of your grader.

The model, 'D Special' appears to have all the options on it as standard equipment, except ----------------- Power Steering. Is this correct?

Ross D.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:02am
We had an old AC grader when I worked at Ft. Scott KS, Midwestern Dist. Truck Line. Nothing as far as ID but had a 4cyl Detroit in it and Dog Clutch controls to gear boxes, would beat you into tomorrow if tried to feather them.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 1:18pm
Yes Ross, I was mainly doing driveway work which involved lots of tight spaces to turn around. It was a nuisance to always have to lower the blade and raise the front wheels off the ground to make it easier to crank the wheels  over. The grooves in the crankshaft pulley were worn to the point that it was almost impossible to get the belts that drove the hydraulic pump tight enough to prevent the pump from stalling out if you put too much pressure on it. I had a machinist friend of mine make an adapter with a stub shaft that would bolt on the crankshaft pulley. I then fabricated a bracket to hold the pump and used a flexible coupling to drive the pump. The pump would be rotating in the opposite direction but looking at the blow up in the parts book it appeared as if the pump should be bi-directional by reversing the input and output lines. It worked fine. I then mounted a power steering pump from a car where the hydraulic pump had been and drove it off one of the now spare grooves on the crankshaft pulley. I decided not to use a rotary assist on the steering shaft as I knew how much force it took to steer manually. I was concerned that assist on the shaft might tear up the Ross steering box. I used some components off of an old Cockshut sp combine. It had a control valve that mounted on the drag link and a small hydraulic cylinder the mounted between the front axle and the tie rod. It was so effective that with the grader stationary and the engine idling I could turn the wheels lock to lock with one finger.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

We had an old AC grader when I worked at Ft. Scott KS, Midwestern Dist. Truck Line. Nothing as far as ID but had a 4cyl Detroit in it and Dog Clutch controls to gear boxes, would beat you into tomorrow if tried to feather them.

AD4?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:23pm
4 or 40.doesnt matter. Both beat you up if you don't push or pull hard and determined.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:41pm
Steve

I found with our AC 45 that it makes a lot of difference to the action whether they are adjusted according to the Allis manual - or by some wild guess
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:45pm
Was taught by an 'Old Timer'!! In or Out, nothing in between, slap them in or pop them out but never to hang on them with a full hand. Makes my teeth hurt thinking on it!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:38pm
Well I guess dog clutches do "in" or "out" and aren't too good on" maybe"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 10:24pm
....on the 40,when you want to lift front wheels off ground,you sit down and use your feet on the levers....
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 12:10am
Steve

I don't know about a 40 but on the 45 you can turn the dog clutches front to back and get new wear surfaces.

I'd guess some dis-assembly/assembly required - which could mean yours were never done
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:34pm
Ian.When I was a kid our township had AD4 then purchased a 40 in early 60's. Dad ran the 4 and said they reversed the dogs and levers would almost stay inguaged by themselves. When I started helping in the 70's they had the 40 and it never got the flip done. Was quite a beater if you had to put a lot of force on the blade or turn the circle when blading.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:43pm
Steve

On the 45 when they're properly adjusted they should fall out if you take your hand off.  Most still do, only one I have to watch. 

When I got it you had to beat them out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic