This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis G short project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis G short project
    Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:26am
This Allis G  has been a project I have been working on off and on for a couple years.
Started out look like this and the loader had been removed.  
Bought the loader  with help from people I know in PA.as it came from PA auction.  Today made some adjustments to the length of the loaders arms and will need to weld the pivot points for the cylinders.

Edited by Richardmo - 27 May 2019 at 12:31am
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:48am
Coming along great!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:02am
I read an article somewhere that said they used shortened G's with loaders to unload railroad box cars.   For-runner of the skid steer loader.   Nice job, rare tractor !!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:06am
Richard,
 You always have interesting Allis projects! This short G and loader will turn some heads.
Power steering might be needed with a bucket full of dirt?
Looking forward to your updates too.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:24am
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 10:31pm
Today work on the making Cylinders for the loader.
The ones that came with the tractor are to far gone to fix.
These will not be exactly like the others but close.
Was able to cut the back section off the tube,
Also drilled out for oil supply and welded a fitting back in.
Was able to cut off the shaft and re taper it.

allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:09am
Is that short g something that was built by Allis old did someone else modify it
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by B26240 B26240 wrote:

I read an article somewhere that said they used shortened G's with loaders to unload railroad box cars.   For-runner of the skid steer loader.   Nice job, rare tractor !!

Maybe here?

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:50pm
DiyDave's post tells the story.
This unit is great but only for a few uses.  My best use is elevated storage in our large shed; also hauling wood chips at our church large, blacktop parking lot.
CAUTION is important if your shortened G is operated without the loader; I was told they could easily do wheelies. Herb(GA)
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 6:54pm
On Sunday welded the brackets on the loader.

Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:49pm
 Made a bracket to hold the Hydraulic pump.
Used the torch and a grinder to make the cut out.
Had to cut out and 1 1/2" of the bracket to allow the pump to be installed and re welded on the other side.

Also clean out the tank and mounted the valves on the tractor.
The color is wrong and this will be corrected when everything is tested and working order.

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:58pm
I think I have that same old drill press in the shed. A guy gave it to me, didn't want it scrapped, so I took it. I've never had a motor hooked to it and the flat belt step pulley is gone off the back, but I do use it for cracking walnuts LOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 10:05pm
" The initial application was unloading bulk fertilizer from railroad boxcars (as David mentioned); and the immediate market was eastern Iowa."
 My Dad worked at AGRICO, in Fulton, Il back in the day(post WWII). It was a bulk fertilizer outfit, just across the river from Clinton,Iowa. I can't ask him anymore, but I would be willing to bet he saw and maybe even used one of these short G's while unloading boxcars.
 One of the original AC mechanics from the old Albany,Il dealer, is still around, living in Clinton,Iowa. Net time I see him at his shop, I'll have to ask if he ever saw any of these around.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 08 Jul 2019 at 10:27pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 10:36pm
Hook up the hydraulic lines today and gave a test run.

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 5:09am
that's really neet to see a 'shorty G' ! Wonder how LONG it took to unload a RR car though... and just how SHORT were men back then as I can't see me ( 6-2) on that G !

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:42am
That must have been an adventure just to climb on board.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:45am
I'd think you want to keep your elbows tucked in tight when operating that loader!! Ouch A neat little tractor, never the less.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:54am
Nice work and very interesting. I'm off and googling now.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic