This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis F40 fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:42pm
re: Now need to think about the support cradle for the gas tank.

couple more 2by4s and it'll be just fine !
 You CAN get to the shutoff with the tank in position ??
I did a similar install on a rider and oopsy...worked fine on the bench, once installed I couldn't get my hand in to operate the valve......
plumbe rediculous.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 6:20pm
Jay, Folks, 
I dont think the tank mounting support will be wood. But I better not speak too soon. Just never know! With it 4.5 inches clearance off the top of counter weight I should be about right to shut the gas off.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:45pm
Due to the length of this thread I may have missed the reason why you wouldn't consider getting the original gas tank functional??
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

Due to the length of this thread I may have missed the reason why you wouldn't consider getting the original gas tank functional??

Propane to gas conversion...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:44am
Honestly, I'd still like to see the tank where the original gas one was....
There it's PROTECTED and even IF damaged, won't spray/gush gas onto the hot exhaust..
It also leaves the top area of the counterweight available  for 'things' like some tools and, um, well, a, um, long heavy 'pulling' chain.......

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 7:53am
Jay, Eric,Dave , Folks,
Not sure I could ever find a original tank. I believe it would need a fuel pump at that lower location too. Although I have not run it enough to know if its going to run well on gravity.
Yes the tank is maybe not ideal but if mounted securely it should be a good rugged tank. If off of a Cub Low Boy. So its built well.
Dave,
 Sorry for the length of thread. Yea I am pretty long winded.

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 9:18am
Looking good Chris, keep moving foreward.
Ed
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 1:17pm
Chris, you don't need to make any apologies for the length of your thread, thanks for all the time you spend loading pictures and explaining details. What it does prove is your good communication skills and your excellent PR. Your mention of possibly leaving the forum would be a sad day for those of us that visit here regularly. I do respect your personal priorities and it would be a decision I'm sure you're not making hastily.
As for the gas tank... I based my question from both of my F40's. They were both propane only but still had the gas tanks in place. You will be fine with gravity feed from up top I'm sure.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Jay, Eric,Dave , Folks,
Not sure I could ever find a original tank. I believe it would need a fuel pump at that lower location too. Although I have not run it enough to know if its going to run well on gravity.
Yes the tank is maybe not ideal but if mounted securely it should be a good rugged tank. If off of a Cub Low Boy. So its built well.
Dave,

Regards,
 Chris

Chris, the length don't bother me, either, I was quoting Eric...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:25pm
re: the tank....
any 'fabshop' could make the tank for you, just use a cardboard box as the template. I did that for 2 custom cars ( 'tubbed'  '67 Cougar and a 39 'rod') Coug is still on the road..
probably need a low pressure inline gas pump.....my FL has one,put a check valve inbetween tank and filter so there's always fuel..

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Jay, Eric,Dave , Folks,
Dave,

Regards,
 Chris

Chris, the length don't bother me, either, I was quoting Eric...Wink

Sorry Dave, I see my error! I am still long winded!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: the tank....
any 'fabshop' could make the tank for you, just use a cardboard box as the template. I did that for 2 custom cars ( 'tubbed'  '67 Cougar and a 39 'rod') Coug is still on the road..
probably need a low pressure inline gas pump.....my FL has one,put a check valve inbetween tank and filter so there's always fuel..

Jay

Jay,
 Good suggestions. And yes I could get a custom tank built. I have a friend that does nice custom stainless work. I will think about that too.
Regards, 
 Chris
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 9:46am
You're not long winded, you are thorough in your description of your project.
I like that you are thorough. It makes it easy to follow your thoughts and decisions. I like the detail!
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 12:04pm
farmboy520,
 Thanks, Some days I wonder? And probably spend too much time on the computer each day. Should be out making something happen!
The F40 is a little lonely, with all the other tractors out of the shop playing in the snow and the sun today.
Had problem with battery discharge over night. Not sure this new alternator is hooked up or I need a diode in the line to keep it from running down the battery? I unplugged the small wire that goes into the plug area on the alternator. This is the location where the diode would be in my other tractors.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Feb 2021 at 12:07pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 2:08pm
yes, sounds like you need a diode, same as the others.....
sure is a cute lil thing...HOW the devil you got INSIDE it to work on is beyond me...
looks like it'll move them batts around nice though !! to make room for the 'orange' to come back in...brrrrrrrr

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 5:49pm
Ted, we spoke on the phone the other day about the operators manual, here's my contact info

Ed Snow
2721 W Libby St
Phoenix AZ 85053

Thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 4:15pm
Folks,
 You might have seen in the shop talk thread?  First job for the F40! Whoooo hoooooo. Lifted a ton of steel liner panels off my trailer pretty darn easy! Well Jim made it look easy!
 He said it worked well idle was about right to use the inching pedal and the hydraulics.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 7:04pm
NICE ! THAT"S why you have a forklift !!!
Try running it outside here and you won't see the front tires ! He-who-shall-not-be-named has given me a 'present' of 10+ INCHES of 'pretty'......
any chance I can 'return-to-sender' ?
Sorry but that ROPS would be the 2nd thing to go... 1st would be a WHACK to my head getting on/off your new best toy !
I find a tad higher idle makes it easier to steer and the more you use it ,  you'll say I should have got it sooner !.

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 7:06am
Folks,
 At some point this unit may get the much needed tune up. It seems to take a while to settle down and run with out stumbling when the throttle is blipped. 
Sure did save the back on that one job. Since the steel panels are short on top to long on the bottom the fork lift may get used a bunch to move things around in the shop too. Its about like musical chairs in there now. Always something in the way to do the next task.

I do have a small leak under there somewhere. looks to be engine oil. probably rear main? That is not on the list to fix in my life time. so it will have to have a diaper.

Since I disconnected the small wire from the alternator  the battery has remained charged enough to start the engine. 

Thanks for checking in on me and the saga of the old F40!

Old men & Old machines!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Feb 2021 at 7:08am
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:40pm
Chris,
glad to see you are putting her work. I know in the future you will be glad that you have it. One of those tools that you won't know how you ever got along with out it!
Ed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:42am
Ed, Folks,
 I wouldn call this lift "work", but for me it was good as it was actually the first lift from the bed of my truck. The styrofoam stack weighed maybe 50 lbs with the skid!
Sorry for the haze I think the lens fogged up from the door being open.

I did lift and move the ton of steel ceiling panels also and didnt strain my back!:)

The F40 worked ok, didnt stumble and seems like the systems are working. Although I am not a very good judge of forklifts. 

Appreciate the help and gentle nudges from the folks on the Allis Forum too.

At this point I am glad I struggled through the experience of basic maintenance work on this machine. It may be a keeper, and has helped in the shop already.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Feb 2021 at 7:43am
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:30pm
Thanks for taking time with posting pictures Chris, how may sq. ft. is your shop anyway... it seems nearly endless from the many pics? As you're going through with insulation and all, what type of heating will you eventually have? (Sorry for sidetracking from F40 talk)
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 2:20pm
What all the strafoam for Chris, using it in the sugar camp?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 2:43pm
he's making my loft nice and cozy ???Tongue

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

Thanks for taking time with posting pictures Chris, how may sq. ft. is your shop anyway... it seems nearly endless from the many pics? As you're going through with insulation and all, what type of heating will you eventually have? (Sorry for sidetracking from F40 talk)

Eric, Jay, Folks,
The pictures are the easy part! I move things around to make it look bigger than it really is!:) The building is 40 x 64. with 5 areas (zones) Zone 1 work shop/ office / old man area, Zone 2 Truck bay, Zone 3, High bay area/ storage, Loft area and bathroom area under the stairs. Even now I have to meander around and between things. Pretty common for the way I have always worked. Probably wont change much.  
For Heat:The concrete has a half mile of PEX in the floor. I have two zones for heat. Zone 1 is on a manifold. and Zones 2 and 3 are on the other manifold.  Planning on a high efficiency wall mounted 140K BTU propane boiler for primary heat source. I also have the 30K BTU Ventless propane wall mount unit in zone 1, which is currently the only heat in the building. Debating when to call the furnace guy?? Maybe tonight??
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

What all the strafoam for Chris, using it in the sugar camp?

Russell,
 Yes that is the plan.  in the kitchen area of the sugarhouse. Not sure? It may be awkward to work with/ install??
Regards,
Chris
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:37pm
Nice Chris!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:36pm
Robert,
Thanks,
 Good to have you back! We need you on here! How is that D15 working?  You inspired me to get a WD45 project under away and completed.
Regards,
 Chris
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:12am
I've been lurking.  4 years ago bought a farm with a decrepit home.  And been stuck in that renovation bubble.  Starting to see some light though. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:15am
re: Starting to see some light though. 

hmm.. did you replace a window or just wash it ???LOL

I've got LOTS of 1/4dun projects, list longer than my arms....sigh...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic