This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis drag disk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis drag disk
    Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 12:40pm
I have an Allis chalmers drag disk , I was curious if any one would be able to identify it by model number ect . It has a couple bearings out on the gangs and I figured it may help trying to find parts

185 turbocharged w/ 500 loader , WD
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 1:19pm
Right there on the bearing housing is a part number to get you started. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
juniorp53 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juniorp53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 2:08pm
#9 pull type   bearings are wood  made of  rock maple    most folks make there own    off the top of my head  inner dia is 2" and outside dia is 3 1/2"    soak in hot oil bath  before install then grease initially and after  every few hours of use 

some guy out in Minnesota was advertising he had some NOS ones  talked to him on the phone  wicked nice ... said he would call back with some measurements  ...never did 
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 3:22pm
Do you think oak would be any good to make bearings ?
DON G View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DON G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 3:36pm

I think oak would be good/
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 4:30pm
I think hard maple is better than oak.  It is closer grained and less acidic than oak.  Lignum vitae (iron wood) is the preferred wood for water turbine and ship shaft bearings.  However, it needs to be kept wet even when in storage.  Hard maple was the second choice as it became harder to get Lignum vitae.

For disc bearings hard Maple would likely be better than oak.  It is closer grained and is less acidic than oak.  Maple is often soaked/boiled in hot oil or wax to add to its lubricity further into the wood.   There are several outfits making wood bearings using hard maple.

185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 7:42pm
Thanks for the info , does anyone know a good place to get the wood bearings?
juniorp53 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorp53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 5:54pm

talked to these folks few years back    explained to them over phone what i had and seemed like no problem for them 
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 7:49pm
I think I kept a nos for future measurements.

Edited by Mikez - 10 Oct 2023 at 8:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic