This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers
    Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 5:36pm
Hi all, I have broken the universal joint on my HD6, I'm based in NZ and am wondering if anyone knows where I can source parts locally or if there is someone who can fix the part. I have been unable to find a part or engineer able to fix this due to the size of the bearings.

The caps that connect to the universal joint to the yoke have broken on both sides

See pictures of broken part:uploads/23794/IMG-20240207-WA0013.jpg

Thanks,
Andrew
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 7:07pm
I don't know if it will help your search but here are some substitute numbers for 086284

Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 7:18pm
That appears to have happened suddenly.  Didn't get shifted into 2 gears at once, or hit a large hard object when operating?
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Andymac View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 7:29pm
Yes it did,  I was cutting a track on our farm, I reversed back up over some fill on a steep bump, the tracks weren't getting traction in the fill so I put the clutch out to change gear and go forward. It happened then, I'm not sure what it was that caused it, maybe the clutch didn't disengage fully. The machine stated to shake so I switched it off, had a look and saw the universal joint. Do you think there is another issue with the clutch or gearbox I should look at?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 8:53pm
you might check this... sounds interesting ?? ... i dont know where JOE got that PN ?-- OK.. i see the OTHER  parts book print above.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Feb 2024 at 9:01pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Andymac Andymac wrote:

Yes it did,  I was cutting a track on our farm, I reversed back up over some fill on a steep bump, the tracks weren't getting traction in the fill so I put the clutch out to change gear and go forward. It happened then, I'm not sure what it was that caused it, maybe the clutch didn't disengage fully. The machine stated to shake so I switched it off, had a look and saw the universal joint. Do you think there is another issue with the clutch or gearbox I should look at?

It is possible that the sudden shift put it in 2 gears at once, I think I would check out the gear train, just to be safe.  If the U joints were broken and worn, then I wouldn't worry as much.  Not sure how much of a PITA it is to check it out on your crawler, but I have had a similar occurrence, on wheel tractors.  Try to make sure its in N, if the shift lever won't move at all, there's a clue. If you do get it into N, turn the input shaft with a wrench or bar, if things move, all is OK.  If its dead stuck, there is something seriously wrong inside the transmission...  Hope this is not the case, good luck!
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic