This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers
    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:56am
First Post.
I recently acquired my first tractor. A 1949 Allis Chalmers B. The rear rim needs replacing due to rust. Any advice on how to remove the rim would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 11:53am
Welcome to the Forum! If it is a standard B rim there should be four blocks bolted to the wheel center that holds the rim in place. Two or more more of these should have eccentric bolts that push the blocks out to tighten on the rim (these will have a cross on the head). Loosen the nuts on the backside and turn these bolts 180 degrees and they should loosen. The rim should then come off. Be careful if the tire is full of fluid. If it is a loop rim remove all four bolts and remove the rim. There may be shims between the blocks and the rim if they are somewhat worn. Feel free to ask any questions on here about anything you don't clearly understand.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
gtsmith View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 12:04pm
Thank you so much. It’s a work in progress so I’m sure you’ll hear from me again.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 12:57pm
Some Pics
The 2 white marked bolt are eccentric bolts, the other 2 are regular.

Clamp on left, Eccentric bolt on right.

Loop style rim uses regular bolts.

HTH

Edited by chaskaduo - 09 Oct 2019 at 1:02pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
gtsmith View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 2:38pm
I think its a loop rim but i’m not a 100 sure.
gtsmith View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 2:46pm
I tried to upload a photo of it but no luck.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:51pm
gt,
 Welcome! keep working on the pictures thing. Lots of folks here can help with that too.
 Congrats on the Allis B! Great tractors!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
gtsmith View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:14pm
Ok another question. How do I check the transmission fluid?
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:39pm
As Hubert said, be careful if the tires are full of fluid. The fluid adds a lot of weight & makes the tires difficult to handle. Don't get hurt.    
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:06pm
The shop manual may help with various details:

http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf

Gerald J.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:17pm
Welcome to the forum
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:26am
Hey congrats on the B. Lots of good people here to help. Download the manual from Gerald J. If you have the eccentric bolts there is a special method of using them on the rim. Good luck.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:32am
Transmission fill is on the left (clutch) side. It looks like a pipe plug and is mounted on an angle. It should be full of gear oil.

If you decide to drain it, there are three drain plugs; one under the PTO, one under the differential and one under the transmission. They are 3/8" square. A 3/8" ratchet works well.
gtsmith View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 8:00am
Good Morning everyone. I have another question for the group. I’ve noticed since getting my allis that every time I start her, she seems alittle weaker every time to the point of yesterday being dead in the water. No cranking what so ever. She is a 6 volt. I don’t know if the battery is bad or something else. I can push start her with no problems. Where should I start?
Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 8:31am
Probably dead battery, 6v batteries dont seem to last very long. Could be a bad battery or its not charging the battery. That could stem from bad generator/alternator, or the tractor isnt running long enough at high enough rpm to induce charging. Try to get it started and let it run at a higher rpm (1000-1500) and see if that makes a difference. next step if that doesnt work is a new battery, or do some tests to see if charging circuit works.
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 9:16am
Did someone stick a 12 volt battery in it and it is a 6 volt system? If so it will never charge up. If it is a 6 volt battery, then it is not being charged or is junk or both. Same if it has been converted to 12 volt. A simple corroded connection, bad wire, or not enough RPM to start a one wire converted charging system may be the problem. A lot of things to check.

Edited by chaskaduo - 18 Oct 2019 at 9:24am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:24am
Originally posted by gtsmith gtsmith wrote:

Good Morning everyone. I have another question for the group. I’ve noticed since getting my allis that every time I start her, she seems alittle weaker every time to the point of yesterday being dead in the water. No cranking what so ever. She is a 6 volt. I don’t know if the battery is bad or something else. I can push start her with no problems. Where should I start?
 1. check battery voltage it should be6 at the very minimum
 2. charge the battery and have it load tested.
 3. while the tractor is running, check voltage at the generator, it should be 7.5 volts or there abouts.
 4 if generator output is lower than 7 volts, ground the field wire and see if it goes up.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic