This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers WD will NOT run HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers WD will NOT run HELP
    Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 11:41pm
Hello, all.
I am new here and I am hoping someone here can help.
I have a Allis Chalmers WD (not sure on the year) that was running great, I was using it to plow the garden and then I went out the next day and it wouldn't start? I got my "Reversed" WD45 and I tried to pull start it and it would try to start but just back fire and the second I stopped pulling it, it would quit.
I completely cleaned out the carburetor and I put in a NEW rebuild kit and it still does the same thing. I then removed the magneto and replaced the points and condenser, then I took the mag to a friend that has a shop and he tested it and it is good.
I then re timed the tractor and it will start but it will not throttle up and it runs really rough. Here is how I timed it.
I took off the cap and put the notch gear (on the mag side) pointing "UP" and I put the "C" pointing "DOWN" and put the cap in place. I then rotated the engine (by crank handle) until the #1 cylinder just started to blow out air. I then slowly rotate the engine while someone else watches for the "TDC" mark on the flywheel (not the firing mark) until it is dead center with the mark on the bell housing. I then rotate the mag "BACKWARDS" (counterclockwise) until the notch is in line, and the I slowly rotate the mag backwards a little more until I here the click of the points closing. I then carefully set the mag in place. I then hook up all the spark plug wires in the order of 1243 and I place the wires on the mag going clockwise starting at the "TOP LEFT".
I can then get the tractor to run but it will not throttle up and it runs very rough.
I took a small bottle of propane and let some in to the air on the carburetor and the tractor RPM did not change.
If any one has any ideas of what I am doing wrong PLEASE PLEASE let me know.
I have been working on this for about a week and I bet I have timed this tractor over 50+ times and it still runs the same way, I even took off the throttle linkage and tried controlling it by the carburetor and it would not throttle up?
Thanks for you time 
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 12:17am
I would start the tractor up at an idle and pull number 2 plug wire off. If it makes it worse put it back on and go down the line. If you find 2 wires that when pulled , don't seem to make a difference in how it runs, switch them.
 Take the plug out of the bottom of the carb bowl with the gas turned on and see if you get a full flow of gas out the bottom. It's possible there is a restriction somewhere in the fuel tank or line not letting gas keep up with engine as RPM goes up.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 12:35am
Just a guess, You may have fouled out some plugs. I accidentally switched two wires on my WC (same engine) and it ran terribly.  It seems that you have all of the extremes covered now you just have to look at the littler stuff. Also like Charlie said you may have something clogging your fuel system.

My 37 WC did the same thing and I feel bad for not being able to help anymore. All I did to mine was switch the plug wires and take the fuel line off and blow it out with an air compressor and it ran fine.

I hope this helps a little.

Edited by AllisChalmers37 - 10 Apr 2011 at 12:36am
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 12:46am
I just happen to think of something I ran into once that was very similar. My dad put new plugs in his old Ford truck and within a week it was running poorly. I checked everything I could think of, ended up replacing the carb. My gear head BIL thought it was a timing problem and played around a bit till he convinced himself it had a bad timing chain. After I switched that out and replace the distributor, and the coil, I gave up and sent it to the garage in town. The guy calls the next day and says the truck is ready. I asked what he did to it and he say changed the spark plugs. He said the plugs that were in it were glazed over and wouldn't fire good. I don't think I have purchased a set of Champions since then. Too bad the guy that finished the WC engine for me thinks Champion still makes a spark plug.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 1:26am
On ANY internal combustion engine, before jumping in and swapping parts, drop everything you're doing, forget everything you're thinking, and go BACK TO THE RECIPIE FOR INTERNAL COMBUSTION.

If you don't, you'll be crapshooting, not troubleshooting.

For Internal combustion, you MUST HAVE:

Air... with sufficient oxygen to provide a burn cycle.  Over 18% oxygen.  Don't assume it's getting enough or proper air- if you do, you'll go to next steps and NEVER find the answer.  Most of these buggers have oil-bath filters... make sure they're not full of ice... or tar... or bugs... or...

Fuel... something adequately combustable.  Don't assume your gas EVER is... and don't assume that just because you've taken some particular action, that the fuel or fuel system is actually conveying it properly.  I usually eliminate the fuel system by spraying in a shot of something somewhat flammable during cranking, and see if it POPS.

COMPRESSION.  Don't assume you have enough.  Doesn't take much, but valves that aren't comin' closed aren't closed enough.

Source of ignition.  Just 'cause there's a blue spark on the plug when you've got it out of the hole, doesn't mean it's strong enough to fire a cold, rich mixture, particularly under substantial compression.  One silly trick I do... is warm up the spark plugs with a  propane flame for a few seconds, then put 'em in... if they're fouled, this usually clears most of the foul and will let 'em fire enough to let you know they're alive.  And as Charlie noted, some plugs... some brands, models, and sometimes just the set... suck.

THEN... a way out.  Plugged exhaust ain't conducive to a running engine.

And FINALLY... Synchronicity.  It has to happen in a proper sequence... with proper timing.

Once running, any problems running PAST that point, are related to some combination of either air, fuel, compression, spark, or exhaust... or timing.

Troubleshoot- Don't crapshoot.  You want to get rid of trouble, not wind up with a pile of crap.

Oh, and Herman's law of Empirical Evidence:  If you do the same test sequence over and over again, you SHOULD get the same result.

What this means, is if you keep doing it same way over and over, expecting a DIFFERENT result, you're on the wrong track.  Go back to the recipie!!!

Edited by DaveKamp - 10 Apr 2011 at 1:29am
Farmall M Beginner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:37am
Thanks for all the info, I will start trying different things today.
Here is a video of it running, sorry for the poor sound it is really windy here in Kansas.
Thanks again
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:39am
Thanks for all the info, I will start trying different things today.
Here is a video of it running, sorry for the poor sound it is really windy here in Kansas.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff47/JacksonFender/?action=view&current=AllisChalmersWDVideo2001.mp4
Thanks again
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:59am
Okay, very first thing I can tell you... is that timing sounds WAY late... retarded.  Loosen up the mag bolts a smidgen, get it started, and then turn the mag a little each way, 'till it sounds like it's getting happier.  THEN take another video and let's see what we hear.  From the firing events you're getting, my impression is that you might have a vacuum or exhaust leak or two, but overall, it sounds like it WANTS to get up and go.

For what it's worth, the magneto has TWO timing states... because it has an IMPULSER.  Under normal operation, the magneto fires in a fairly static 'advanced' mode.  When hand-cranking, the impulser RETARDS ignition substantially... actually fires AFTER top-dead-center, to assist in hand-starting and prevent kickback.

What I'm hearing, sounds like an engine that is firing totally AFTER top dead center... like it's stuck running on the impulser.  I DON"T hear the impulser clacking, so from that, I draw the conclusion that the mag was timed by hand to the main timing mark, when it SHOULD have been timed to the impulser.

The old-school way of getting in the timing ballpark, is to hand-crank it around to just a smidgen past TDC on any cylinder, and then slowly turn the magneto 'till the impulser CLACKs.  Not the most sophisticated way, but when you're stuck in a field with just an open-end wrench, it will get it close enough to get 'ya home, and in many cases, it's the fast-ticket in the shop to getting it running and ready for a timing light.

Edited by DaveKamp - 10 Apr 2011 at 9:05am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 9:12am
I did rotate the mag while it was running and that was as good as I could, It is like I run out of adjustment?
Thanks
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 9:40am
Might be.  Might be a situation that the point gap is too narrow or too wide.

One thing to realize about a mag-  the spark timing is determined by when the points OPEN, but the spark ENERGY demands that the spinning armature has spun through it's swing, to the right angle, before the points open.  Old outboard motor magnetos (flying magnet arrangements) used to stymie guys... well, it's because there's more to the story than just setting point gap.

And look at the mag spark-  it shouldn't just be a nice blue spark, it should be a white hot spark with a crack that makes you weak in the knees just hearing it.  If you're fearing it, it's right.  Now, since it's running, it's obvious you're getting enough spark to ignite what's there, but a weakish spark, or seemingly improper timing after you attempted to time it right, suggests that mebbie something in the mag isn't synched.

Your magneto guy... when he 'tested' it... what tools and techniques did he apply?  Did he get out a condenser tester, and MEASURE the capacitance of the condenser, then check it for leakage?  Did he put a megohmmeter on the magneto windings to look for a loss of insulation quality?  Did he use a proper magneto test bench to check voltage, firing angle, impulser retard angle, and then observe all four outputs jumping, or did he clamp it in a vise, twist it with pliers and hold a plug wire against the body?

Edited by DaveKamp - 10 Apr 2011 at 9:41am
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 3:45pm
Remove plug #1 and bring the piston to TDC on the compression stroke, then remove the cap from the mag and see where the rotor is pointing. You might be off a tooth on the mag gear. Bob
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:50pm
I got really close to getting it running today, here is a video.
It sounds like it might be firing a little early.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff47/JacksonFender/?action=view&current=AllisChalmersWDVideos003.mp4
John In. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John In. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 10:12pm
If it was running good the day before, did you check to see if you were getting enough gas? filter could be plugged, shut gas off , take sediment bowl off then turn gas on, should be a good even flow. Been there done that, more than once.. John
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 10:17pm
Yes I have checked fuel flow and it is not plugged, I had that happen on a WD45 once.
Thanks for the advice.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:08am

Wait a minute. Wait a minute. If your WD ran fine the day before, and now it won't start the next day, its gotta' be something simple here. If you cranked on it, fouled a couple plugs, and now it runs like crap, the first thing I would do is toss a new set of plugs in it. All this work your doing with timing and such, doesn't make sence to me if the Tractor was running fine the day before. Its gotta' be something dumb. We always go to the worst senerio before checking the easy stuff. Stick a new set of plugs in it first and double check you firing order. Its something simple here....

Steve@B&B

BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:38am
Sounds like stickin valves.
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:02pm

I think Steve and Bob might be on to something. Throw those Champion plugs away and put AC Delco, Autolite, or NGK in their place. Like Bob says, a sticking valve would show up on a compression test.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:10pm
I'm with Steve, always look for grey elephants before pink ones.  Find the common problems.  Something changed overnight.  Water in fuel, water in mag, loose lug wires, carb flooded, or as Steve said, plugs fould when you shut it down.
JimD
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 2:27pm
On Yesterdays tractors I read your post as having it timed to the fire mark. Static timing is to TDC  not F on the flywheel. From watching the video I would say it sounds like it is out of time yet. I also agree with throwing out Champion plugs.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmall M Beginner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 3:08pm
I have already replaced the spark plugs but I used champion again, that is what the local hardware sells and the next closet place is an hour drive, but I will get some others today.
I was using the "Fire" mark at first but then I learned about the "TDC" and that's what I have been using now. I don't have time today but tomorrow I will re time it again and see what I come up with.
I have replaced the old fuel and I have plenty of gas getting to the carb and I have lots of spark at the mag.
I think I know why it quit. First off the points were a mess, and also the rotor was really sloppy I could rotate the rotor 1/8 of a turn with out the gear moving?
So I then replaced the rotor and the whole cap and then I got some new points and condenser in.
Thanks for every ones help
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 4:02pm
Just don't get frustrated with it yet. Some of us might be just about as frustrated as you. Let us know when she runs good again. Charlie
Norm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 1:12pm
You've set the mag to engine timing wrong.  You've set up the mag to fire at TDC.  Set flywheel "Fire" mark to index when #1 cylinder is coming up on compression.  Then remove mag, turn it backwards until rotor is pointing at #1 plug outlet on distributor cap.  Turning the mag rotor backwards prevemnts the the impulse coupling from engaging, thus the mag rotor will already be at its advanced firing position which is where you want it.  Verify that points are just beginning to open when rotor is in this position.  Install mag making sure rotor doesn't turn.  Now crank the engine by hand again until #1 is coming up on compression again.  Rotate crankshaft slowly as piston comes up to TDC.  The impulse coupling should snap somewhere very close to the TDC mark.  The impulse coupling has retarded the timing for starting purposes only.  It's called Lag angle and that angle is set internally in the mag, which can also be adjusted, but it's normally in the range of 25 degrees or so.  Now you can do precise timing by using a timing light with engine running and making minute adjustment to mag rotation in its adjusting ears until the firing marks line up perfectly.  When timing magnetos to aircraft engines, we set up the crankshaft in firing position and then adjust mags to the point where the points break open.  This is a delicate operation as just tightening the mag hold down bolts can cause the mag to rotate just enough to change the point gap.  i use a rawhide hammer to tap the mag into position.

The bottom line is that you set the mag in its advanced firing position when engine crankshaft in starting, or retarded position.

Norm
Aircraft Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic