This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Power still working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Power still working
    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:46am

Got a call from School about this engine that they needed some help with . Every Wednesday its still comes on and runs . Its a back up unit in a Local School in MD. 

17000 Model 

Edited by Fred in Pa - 25 Oct 2020 at 9:47am
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:59am
YAAAAAH! Very cool Fred! Until some EPA commie finds it exists. Do you know if they are set to run long enough to get up to operation temp. I would hope so. Probably has more liner wear from cold starts than one with 5000 hrs on it. LOL
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:05am
20 min.
nonetheless ,still dead.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 12:37pm
Very cool,, thanks for the pics,, i work all over St Louis and have ran across a few Onan generator setups , all have 426 cu inch AC engines in them- all new ones seem to be Cat 12 cylinder setups in hospitals  , the MSD i was at for a while - water treatment plant has all Cummins with backups at stand by for the ones that kick on when needed- got overhaul kits for all- laying in the racks   

Edited by DougG - 25 Oct 2020 at 12:38pm
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 12:45pm
I think that most standby generator and fire pump engines have electric coolant heaters so that the engine is warm whenever they run in weekly or monthly exercise.
Jack of all trades, master of none
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 1:04pm
We have two back up generators where I work, neither Allis. One is a 391 Ford FE, other is a V-4 Wisconsin. Both were current technology when the building went up, I assume.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by DonBC DonBC wrote:

I think that most standby generator and fire pump engines have electric coolant heaters so that the engine is warm whenever they run in weekly or monthly exercise.
 That would make the most sense and easily doable
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 1:22pm
If I remember right the generators at hospitals, have electric heaters on them, so they are ready to go full bore/load at any time needed. 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 1:23pm

TW engine smallest Power Unit  engine's  Allis Chalmers made .  

This one of the AC items I kept for my  AC Showroom .

Edited by Fred in Pa - 25 Oct 2020 at 1:28pm
nonetheless ,still dead.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:27pm
Oman has been taken over by Cummins as some of you know. I wonder if you could source some of the parts now thru Cummins dealers? Would be interesting to find out.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:35pm
I'm sure both of ours at work transferred the load.  We had UPS on them so we didn't lose the computers or anything else.  Anyways, the transfer control and run time are in the transfer panel if they want anything different.  You need to get your head into the time of creation to understand some of the timers in the units.  The older can get real confusing due to the state of the art equipment at the time.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Pfouts Family Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pfouts Family Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Oman has been taken over by Cummins as some of you know. I wonder if you could source some of the parts now thru Cummins dealers? Would be interesting to find out.

I highly doubt that they have much since cummins dealers have bought stuff from us for some of the older Allis-Chalmers power units.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:01pm
Thanks. Very interesting to know. 
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 10:05pm
We had Buda/AC as backup on Radar sites, kept at operating temperature by coolant from equipment.  Diesel had to start and up to operating RPM in 10 seconds,  if not had to go through a 15 minute warmup before it could come back on line.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 25 Oct 2020 at 10:08pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic