This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

allis chalmers model m dozer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgselin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: allis chalmers model m dozer
    Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 6:58am
Hi everybody. I'm looking for some help. I'm looking to purchase an model m dozer but I dont know anything about them. Is there any known issues with them? Are parts hard to come by? Are they reliable? The one I am looking at has been sittinf in a field for two years woth out moving but it was started and the motor ran last year. The tracks look pretty good, almost like it hasn't been used much or it has new tracks? The paint looks good and clean. There isn't really any grease or hydraulic fluid all over the place like you see on others. The dozer is several hours away from where I live so thats my biggest issue. They want $2000 for it and they tell me "as is." I offered $1000 over the phone figuring scrap price and some extra for a running motor. If anybody has any insite or extra to add to sway me one way or the other, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Sponsored Links

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 7:14am
If it's been sitting then steering clutches would be my concern. If they are stuck you can sometimes free them up but if not you have to remove the tracks and final drives. I would think for $2000 it should be running and driving so you can try it. The motors in them are a great motor. If you need to repair much you should look for a donor M for parts.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 10:49am
The model M is from the 1940's. If you need parts you will have to make them or find a doner machine. Some of them did not have starter motors. If the owner has the hand crank be shure to get it. The early "M's" have bronze bushings in the truck wheels. If I remember correctly some had a small gas tank for startup and a kerosine tank for running. I know it can be run on kerosine. It is a collectable machine. During its time it was a very good machine. If you like it get it and have fun.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 11:39am
I found my old hand written notes. They made 14,524 model "M's" from 1933 to 1941. The 4 cyl motor has 29 draw bar HP. Garwood and Baker made hydraulic bulldozer blades for "Ms". There were also cable blades for the "M". My notes say it weighed 6200#. The 6200# probably does not include the blade.
mgselin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgselin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 1:09pm
This one has a hydraulic lift blade. I think it has a starter. It also has a roll bar cab. I cant think of the word. Has all of the heavy supports but its not an inclosed cab. Tracks look great in the picture. Either the paint is faded or it has been repainted. Ill post pictures later today.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 7:45pm
An "M" is definitely on my "Have to own one someday" list, so I would say go for it, just judging by what you've told us about it. Darrel
Biffer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 9:16am
I have a 1939 model WM dozer thats going to be sold. They are a good old mechine and its going to be sold soon. have had it since the mid 50's. Has a cargo winch and a 8' hyd blade. Starts and runs great but with its age alot of stuff are getting worn out . The WM model are hard to find as over the years one seen one. I do have a repair manual for this mechine. $2000 it a good price as these things are getting rare.
mgselin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgselin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 10:44am
Here are the pictures I recieved of the M. Don't ask me how I didn't catch it that it wasn't an H3. I think I was caught up in the fact the the price was so low. I should be picking it up the M on Saturday for $1500, if of course it drives itself onto the trailer. If anybody sees anything in the pictures that raises an alarm PLEASE say so. Thanks. Oh and thank you for all of your responses so far. 
uploads/9954/00O0O_3UZiaqHIpmc_600x450.jpg
everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 2:13pm
Looks to me that the left top roller is missing cant tell 100% but it looks like it is missing.
mgselin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgselin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 5:29pm
Well im heading out to Michigan saturday morning to pick up the M. Hopefully it'll run and load itself. Ill post pictures when I get it back home.
Pipeline Badger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipeline Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 10:29am
Look foward to seeing pics of it loaded and running. They are neat machines, Hope all goes well for ya.
mgselin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgselin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 12:37pm
Didnt pick up the dozer. It ran, it drove, it steered, but it had some transmission issues. You could hear a growling in it while it was running. The hydraulic system was completely wore out as well. I feel bad for not getting it, but right now I can't devote enough time and effort into a project. Shucks!
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 2:51pm
I went to an auction today with a 1934 running driving M that sold for $2200.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
mgselin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgselin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 3:23pm
I made a poor decision I think. Im going back to get the M.
rsievers View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsievers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 8:06pm
Hello mgselin,
I have an Allis Chalmers M dozer around a 1942 model year.  I live in Batchtown, IL you are most welcome to come look at it.  It is a hand crank and I do have the crank also has a hydralic lift for the blade.  Does not have an enclosed cab, but has been stored in our machine shed for the past 30 years we have had it.  We also replaced the tracks on it and they have hardly been used.  
Roy Sievers

Edited by rsievers - 03 Sep 2013 at 8:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic