This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Hydrogen Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Hydrogen Power
    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:29pm
Sponsored Links

TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:37pm
I believe the (modified D10) is stored in the Smithsonian Museum of American History.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_687671
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 12:56pm
The AC Fuel Cell tractor was crated and stored at the Smithsonian.  Orange Spectacular @ Hucthinson got it released into their custody for some show's/events.  Then it went to the local County museum, McLeod County I beleive.  Am not sure of it's current location if not still at Hutchinson.  I am sure someone will update....Dale
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 1:50pm
The Smithsonian website says the tractor is currently "not on view". Must be in a storage warehouse somewhere.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 2:14pm
Amazing it is not on display with all the save the world whining. Thumbs Down
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by orangereborn orangereborn wrote:

The AC Fuel Cell tractor was crated and stored at the Smithsonian.  Orange Spectacular @ Hucthinson got it released into their custody for some show's/events.  Then it went to the local County museum, McLeod County I beleive.  Am not sure of it's current location if not still at Hutchinson.  I am sure someone will update....Dale
It's still there. 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 9:21pm
You notice he spent a million dollars to make 15 ounces of hydrogen per day. It'll take 100 days to make enough to hydrogen to run the tractor for one day 6 hours of run time.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:03am
Still, it's a cool idea to make hydrogen on the farm.  I don't think I'd want to mess with ammonia though, sounds pretty dangerous.  The guy is pushing 90 so he probably doesn't need all the retirement income he has saved.  Good for him for trying something, and enjoying himself at the same time.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 3:07am
If the tractor’s 460 v8’s exhaust heat could produce enough heat needed to start the Ammonia reactor, then nitrogen might be extracted from compressed atmospheric air while the tractor was in operation.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 4:40am
Reminds me of the yuppies that take a perfectly good running gas powered G, yank the motor, and throw 5 grand worth of labor and parts in to make an electric(coal fired) "clean" tractor, to cultivate "organic" veggies, that they'll never break even on....Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 5:55am
Thumbs Up
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 6:00am
While quickly reading the article I remembered that Ammonia is NOT to be 'played' with. EXTREMEMLY dangerous..easily kills people. Can't be used in home /store A/C units and up here you need to be qualified to run ice rink units( used to freeze the rink..).
To tear apart water(H2O) into H ,H and O requires a LOT of power. Same as those 'salt water' pool systems , no one adds up the $$ to breakdown salt pellets into Na and Cl.
Too bad the 'proof of concept' didn't go to 'full scale' AND publish the TRUE costs. Those numbers would be jaw dropping !

He'd been far better off putting 5HP electrics onto a barn full of G's with solarcelled 'sunshades'.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:59am
This is a fuel cell demo unit that most dealers had in the early 60's to demonstrate how a fuel cell worked. The instructions have the liquid mix that is poured into the cell to make the little motor spin. Just picked it up at an auction a week ago. No one else knew what it was!  $15 Happy guy !

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:22am
That is cool Calvin, I love the " gag with finger" in the instructions.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 10:32am
one thing I remember from high school physics, each time you convert energy from one form to another you loose efficiency. using solar panels to convert light into electricity, to convert water into H and O, and ammonia, to convert into mechanical power has a lot of losses.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:47pm
I curious what the "ingredients" are. Ik fuel cells take hydrogen gas and oxygen gas. If i remember right the hydrogen flows through a special material in the middle, and as it does it produces electricity. In high school we had little fuel cells that you filled with distilled water, then we hooked it to a 12v power supply and cranked up the amps. This caused Electrolysis (separation of O from H in water). You could see the gas bubbles growing the tubes, then when done you could use it as a battery while the water eventually put itself back together. Obviously this process doesn't make any practical sense but im sure the Allis Tractor worked a little different. 
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 10:32pm
Tje allis tractor used propane and platinum the create hydrogen. Unfortunatly the consumable platnium was expensive.
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 11:25pm
From what I've heard hydrogen can be stored right in with propane.
 This was to help stop it from leaking.
 Because it leaks through any metal, because the atoms are so small.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 8:30am
Propane wouldn't of helped.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by wide wide wrote:

From what I've heard hydrogen can be stored right in with propane.
 This was to help stop it from leaking.
 Because it leaks through any metal, because the atoms are so small.

Don't know what you heard, or from who, but hydrogen has been stored in metal tanks, for over a century...

Edited by DiyDave - 16 Nov 2019 at 6:54pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic