This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Disc ID (CA)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Disc ID (CA)
    Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 2:10pm
I was trying to identify the disc model of the one that was purchased with a 1952 CA.  Is there a location for a part/model number on the disc/frame?  I could find nothing.  It is a wheeled type with single acting cylinder to raise/lower.  The wheels measure 7' outer edge to outer edge of the rims.  The front discs measure roughly 6.5' but some are bent and not both angled the same so hard to get a precise measurement.  The rear disc sections are both not attached and located a few hundred feet away.  I assume they would measure roughly 7' or 8'.
Sponsored Links

AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 2:43pm
I would think an 8' double gang disk would be a handful for a CA, no? Maybe I'm underestimating CA's? I suppose if a WD45 will do 12....anyways.... A lot of that equipment has a brass tag on the main frame near where it attaches to the tractor. Wouldn't surprise me if the tag is missing. If you take some photos, someone here might be able to give you a visual ID.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by AC WD45 AC WD45 wrote:

I would think an 8' double gang disk would be a handful for a CA, no? Maybe I'm underestimating CA's? I suppose if a WD45 will do 12....anyways.... A lot of that equipment has a brass tag on the main frame near where it attaches to the tractor. Wouldn't surprise me if the tag is missing. If you take some photos, someone here might be able to give you a visual ID.

I used it a lot.  It was no problem at all for the CA.  We also always added a heavily weighted drag behind it to bust up clods a little better.  Always made a nice clod-free perfect bed ready for the planter.  I didn't think to get closeup pics while I was measuring for some dumb reason.  I only have distance pics with it obscured by a lot of vegetation.

Edited by dfwallis - 28 Dec 2023 at 3:11pm
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 3:12pm

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 3:29pm
Get to work with your chainsaw and weed wacker. Normally there is no ID plate on most of the Allis Chalmers Discs I've seen. However I'd be guessing from your description it's a model 200 transport Disc. After getting it out and visible there might be clues to say it's something else. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Get to work with your chainsaw and weed wacker. Normally there is no ID plate on most of the Allis Chalmers Discs I've seen. However I'd be guessing from your description it's a model 200 transport Disc. After getting it out and visible there might be clues to say it's something else. 

I've seen a lot of AC stiff where you could see where the tag WAS but is typically no longer. I'm thinking AC didn't have the best method of attaching tags to equipment when they did decide to tag it. Or maybe I am seeing remnants of a dealer tag?
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 8:50pm
Dealer decals can be most anywhere.  AC tags were usually aluminum or steel, with rivets on the corners, in a central location. 50-80 years of dissimilar metals sitting in the weather, and they, too corrode away. They just don't make 'em like they usedta...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 11:44am
It appears that I did take a picture of the disk in December.  I was distracted reminiscing with my brother and thought I forgot.  The hitch is designed for the drawbar.

I've not found any online Allis Chalmers pics that look exactly like it.  Especially the way the front end frame Vs forward into a solid frame extension in the center.

Edited by dfwallis - 02 Jan 2024 at 1:40pm
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 12:10pm
I just found an "Allis Chalmers" 411 disk that looks similar.  And a Krause 207, 407, and 410 tandem disk.

It might be a Krause 207.  That's the closest pic I've found so far.  The 407 is similar but its either 10 or 12 foot.  207 is 8 foot (assuming it was identified correctly in the listing).  I originally assumed it was AC because it was painted orange.  There's zero indication that it ever had a tag located on the forward angled top brace (like the 207, right side of the picture).  So maybe they were OEM to another brand.  This had to be before around 1965 because it was old and rusty when I first saw/used it in the late 60s.

If a Krause, it would seem to bode well for finding replacement parts :)

AGCO parts for Disk Harrows does reference Krause disks 400 series from 405 through 412.  Maybe it is a rebranded 400 series Krause.

I've since found other Krause disks with no identifiable tag but with the Krause name stenciled along the rear cross member on the left and right side.  Another had stenciling above the left tire on the frame.  One on the front horizontal frame member and on the front of the V forward frame members in addition to the tag on the top of the V section.

It looks like my particular design did not have Krause stenciled on the rear frame, only on the front V sections.  A 409A model shows a rivet tag on the front of the forward V section near the joint.

I find a Krause 406 with a 7 foot width that's very similar.  Krause AI527 disk in Gardner, KS | Item DB8318 sold | Purple Wave

At this point, without more pics various parts and some shaft diameter measurements, I don't think I can narrow it further.  I would guess Krause 207 or 406.

Edited by dfwallis - 03 Jan 2024 at 1:48pm
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 5:42pm
Here's a listing for the Krause 207:

Since that's from 1985, maybe older versions of Krause products just didn't include a riveted tag, or in another location??

Edited by dfwallis - 03 Jan 2024 at 11:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic