This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers D17 with homemade cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:34pm
Link didn't work for me.

[TUBE]rdzIxwUuDV8[/TUBE]
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 8:14pm
That is a Full Vision cab... it's identical to the unit I installed on my WD project tractor, and I have a second one, disassembled, in my barn.

The reason it appears slightly 'homemade', is because the hinges have been replaced with door hinges, and the rear windows have been replaced with RV/school bus type 'sliders'... neither being 'bad' mods, but the individual who did this, was clearly NOT the same guy who modified the radiator shell to provide clearance for the alternator...

But it's a sweet setup...  One of these days, I need to get my WD project back into the shop and get going on it... obviously, it won't be ready for THIS winter... (sigh)...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
OldSchoolRecovery View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 9:04pm
I wanted to get it together to see if it would work for me.  It did. So far.  

I do not have heat in the cab yet and one window was out.  It was around 20 degrees out and it was plenty comfortable.  The seat is nice, except at road speed which is a little harsh.  Might get a suspension seat from my cousin.  Depends on height.

I plowed the church today and it took 1 hour.  It usually took about 45 minutes with my pickup.  Both at my leisure, not for time.  So, its good enough for sure.  In third gear high range on the power director.  Did not spin a tire, however, snow was not of the wet variety.  Also, the transmission noises have seem to quiet a little bit, maybe because everything is getting lubed now.  I still think I may need a new input shaft bearing.  Tranny sings a little until I push the clutch in.  Sounding better the more I use it, but, a bearing is a bearing and it probably need a new one.

It has a 7'6" Western old cable style, with new motor and brand new cables.  I have new hoses in the shed from about 25 years ago that will go on when the new couplers get here.

I will be looking for a 9' old style blade, or newer if it fits the frame, and then I will be in high cotton.

Rain tomorrow night.....

Just sayin, 

Carl
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:14pm
Well Carl, that'll be a big help.....the ground is all frozen so I hope it doesn't rain too much.  We sure don't need that!!

The add ons are SO WELL done and the basics on the tractor have been let go.  I just don't understand that..  If you go the route of putting in the correct rubber gaskets, make sure you have whomever cuts the glass, that they leave a 1/4" gap between the gasket and the glass.  It needs the room to move to keep from breaking.  Unlike a car that's pretty solid, these bend in all directions and thus need to move.  I learned that years ago when I worked for Auto-Glass.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:50pm
you can put some pro-wings; on the snow plow ' that will make it a little over 9 feet. useing the same 7 1/2 foot plow. will work alot better' keeps the snow in the blade' don't run off as bad.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:03pm
The pro wings are a little pricey. My niece's husband has a steel shop and makes wings. I have not seen his kit yet so if they look good and work I will post a picture. I am thinking that holding some of the snow will help. Just want to be able to roll it to one side also.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:08pm
Update

Made a weight box for the back.  Made it to hold two 500 lb weights.  Gave it a try and while traction improved a bunch (was not too bad before, just on ice) it will push sideways if plow angled and a heavy push.

Overengineered.

Will try one 500 pounder tomorrow.

Otherwise, plow set-up is working great.  Next, I'm going to work on an foot throttle.  Am thinking of a decelerator like on a dozer, with the clutch.  I.e., when you push in the clutch the motor goes to idle or thereabouts.

Basically, motor revs unecesarily when changing from forward to reverse, etc.  Just  a thought for now.

LOL
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:09pm
1000 pounds....
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:11pm
500 pounds.  Will make two wood blocks to take up space on each side of weight.  Powder coat this summer.  Might engineer a better hold down by then.  
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:24pm
Bolted through hitch..
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:25pm
Standoff picture with two weights..
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:47pm
what a super setup! I like it!
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:01pm
I cant help but throw this out there. The throttle shaft is too long, but its a universal fit style, hence the threads all the way to the end of the shaft. Why don't you get out the ole hacksaw and shorten the end of the shaft? You shouldn't ever need the end there.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:29pm
That is already done.  Plus, the choke rod was upside down.  Fixed that too.  I'll get a pic of the fix..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic