This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 720 with ARC Loader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 720 with ARC Loader
    Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 8:29pm
I'm greatly indebted to one of our forum members for giving me the heads up on this Allis 720, the tractor has problems with the Sunstrand hydro unit and possibly more trouble inside the transmission.

Previous owner had the top of the transmission off and drained the oil, said it was full of metallic particles.  With the engine running put into either forward or reverse just makes grinding noises.

From the jest of the conversation I think someone has tried towing the tractor. And that's the real reason the transmission and Hydro unit s lunched.

When I get it home I'll probably swap the trans axle along with the Sunstrand hydro as a complete unit from my Simplicity 9020 into the 720. Which is probably just as much work as changing the ARC loader from one to the other.

The loader bottom plate has to be replaced as it has rusted through in places.

Edited by rustydollar - 09 Sep 2017 at 8:33pm
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 6:29am
I have one that looks just like that. It has been re-powered with a B&S engine. I'd like to find a back hoe for it.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

I have one that looks just like that. It has been re-powered with a B&S engine. I'd like to find a back hoe for it.

Dusty

Your probably looking for something like this, it's a Brantley Backhoe Model 603 A
http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=362465&d=1373091174

Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 8:55pm
The axle stub shafts that connect the differential, to the drop boxes, are known weak points, and fail if the unit is used harshly forwards, and backwards.  This could be your problem.  The root of the problem is, there is very little splined area of the shaft that contacts the differential, and it tears them off easily if used for much more than a lawn and garden tractor!
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Orange Blood Orange Blood wrote:

The axle stub shafts that connect the differential, to the drop boxes, are known weak points, and fail if the unit is used harshly forwards, and backwards.  This could be your problem.  The root of the problem is, there is very little splined area of the shaft that contacts the differential, and it tears them off easily if used for much more than a lawn and garden tractor!

Previous owner had the transmission top off, engine running with trans engaged nothing visible turns.

When I get it home will have a look inside but I'm not planing on putting any money into it, just need one tractor operational for snow duty.

I just thought it would be just as much work to swap the loader over to the Simplicity 9020 as it would to swap the differential form the 9020 into the Allis 720 which cosmetically looks much nicer.

Thanks for the heads up on the weak point to look for damage.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 11:57pm
That drive axle being a weak point must have something to do with item 21 in the diagram below seldom seen on auction.

Plenty of the drop case's and bull gears, so I gather the spline is prone to breaking off and leaving the internal spline on the bull gear untouched.

Edited by rustydollar - 10 Sep 2017 at 11:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic