This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 720- No power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwhitenoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 720- No power
    Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 3:41pm
Okay so this is my first thread and I'm hoping you guys can help. I have a 720 that has front/rear PTO and I'm currently running a snow blower off the front. I had it in to a shop to finish getting an electric fuel pump put in and to also fix this no power problem. I would turn the key and didn't have any power, even though I had a new battery. The switch for the lights didn't turn anything on and I wouldn't hear the fuel pump running. I got it back from the guy and it worked fine up until the other day when out of the blue it was misfiring and when I would try to turn the chute of the blower which is controlled from an electric motor the tractor would bog down like it was under very heavy load to the point that it sounded like it would die. when I released the switch it would continue to run as it had been. Then, after I shut it down I had no power again. I played with the wiring on the back of the dash, wiggling connections, and got power so that it would turn over, but not fire. Now I have no power again and am thoroughly stumped. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you Guys!
Sponsored Links

den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:10pm
First of let me state that of all areas of these and all machines...the element that I dislike the most and seem to know the least about is the electronics.  That said...it sounds to me like your tractor is not charging.  It runs good with a full charged battery but with the snow blower engaged you are using power to keep it engaged.  You are using power to run the tractor and when you turn the chute, you again are using power.  No more than I know, I would first check battery level and if your machine is charging. 
Hopefully someone like Steve NJ of B and B and others smarter than I will chime in with some ideas on your problem.   Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
mwhitenoise View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwhitenoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:18pm
Thank you. I'm at my wits end on this. it's a good thing my Jeep is 4 wheel drive or I wouldn't have been able to go very many places this winter
mwhitenoise View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwhitenoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by den/southern illinoi den/southern illinoi wrote:

First of let me state that of all areas of these and all machines...the element that I dislike the most and seem to know the least about is the electronics.  That said...it sounds to me like your tractor is not charging.  It runs good with a full charged battery but with the snow blower engaged you are using power to keep it engaged.  You are using power to run the tractor and when you turn the chute, you again are using power.  No more than I know, I would first check battery level and if your machine is charging. 
Hopefully someone like Steve NJ of B and B and others smarter than I will chime in with some ideas on your problem.   Den

Update: I pulled the dash off and the ignition switch out and checked all my connections. I cleaned the back of the switch for the lights and put that back on. Now I had power when I turned the key. I could run the lights and move the chute. However when I turned the key to the start position it did not turn over. Then looked at the ignition switch. The guy who had worked on it last had said that he replaced the plug because it had been melted through. Sure enough when I looked at it the plastic was warm/soft. The part of the plug that it's melting through has a black wire running from it. Any more ideas?
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 7:06am
Failed Ignition switches caused a multitude of small problems on these Tractors I'm finding out. We have brand new Ignition switches in stock along with new plugs for the Ignition switch. Inspect the wiring that runs to the back of the plug also. This was a trouble area also. We offer replacement sections of the wiring system to repair the problem sections. In most cases, one of our new Ignition switches took care of the electrical issues on a lot of our customer's 620/720 Tractors. If you visit our website, and go into the 616-720 Garden Tractor section, you can see what we offer. Not saying that is definitely your problem, but it sure sounds like some of the issues our other customer's were having, especially the melted plug part, and the Ignition switch in most cases took care of the problem... HTH
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic