This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers 5020 not starting at all

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcutler81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers 5020 not starting at all
    Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 11:43am
So, my Allis Chalmers 5020 will not kick over at all. It was working fine, I turned it off so I could blow out the radiator, which I have to do normally to keep it from over heating.

This happened before when I had to read PTO engaged, but I made sure the rear PTO is in the disengage position, the electric PTO switch is turned off, and the gear shift is into "S" position.

I turn the key and nothing happens, only the alternator and oil lights come on.
Sponsored Links

farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 12:32pm
You'll have to check safety switch. Could be ing. switch also. If you have bright lights, Made sure it's in Neutral!!!! and jump across the starter solenoid to see if it cranks. If it does, then you'll need a test light or circuit tester and start testing switches and wiring! Safety switch for gear sift is easy to by pass to check!
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Jcutler81 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcutler81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:35am
Thanks, I did jump it and it started and I noticed rear PTO shafts spinning, I switched it into disengage, turned the tractor off and restarted normal and it came on no problem.

Looks like I have some testing to do. Thanks!
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 2:04pm
Sounds like safety switches are going bad or not making contact. I can't remember it they have any adjustment or not. Check to see if they have a jam nut on each side holding them in place. If so you may just need to adjust so it makes good contact in start position.
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 5:59pm
Could be as simple as a piece of crap, or chaff wedged in a linkage or switch, it gets into the damndest places...WinkWink
bebeeells View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebeeells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:29am
Thank you sir
CSGO Skins
Jcutler81 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcutler81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 10:17am
Okay, so now the electric PTO won't kick on, never had that happen before. Made sure ignition is in the on position, too. Any ideas?
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 10:21am
"Made sure it's in Neutral!!!!"

Actually, it has to be in "S". Nothing will happen in Neutral.
Jcutler81 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcutler81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 10:22am
Could something have shorted when I jumped it across the starter celenoid?
Jcutler81 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcutler81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 10:24am
I'm talking about the electric PTO now, not starting up the tractor, after the in tial jump across the started celenoid, not had a problem firing up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic