This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B - hard start when warm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCSinPITTS,PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B - hard start when warm
    Posted: 23 May 2024 at 7:56am
been chaseing this for years now.  sent magneto out to be rebuilt 2 years ago, last year sent gas tank out to get sandblasted and coated.  when cold i turn gas on and choke and two cranks and it running. when warm nothing.  Now this happened b4 the mag was rebuilt so I assumed fixing the mag would fix the problem.  my current theory is the float isnt set correctly and im getting too much gas however after started it run great. there is some kinda petcock on the manifold right abouve the carb and if I open the petcock and blow into it i hear a gurglling sound??? sometimes it starts after i do that.  my hand hurts from cranking even with a glove on!!!!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 8:07am
When its hot, your starting with NO CHOKE ? .... HAve you checked the air cleaner bowl oil ... or removed the air cleaner for cleaning ? .............. but since it starts when cold, then runs good when hot.. Just sounds like a bad air/ fuel ratio (choke ) when starting hot.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 8:13am
some kinda petcock on the manifold right abouve the carb and if I open the petcock and blow into it i hear a gurglling sound?

When your OFF cold, do you shut the fuel supply valve off.??. Then when OFF HOT leave it open ??  Do you see any overflow of gas from the air inlet from the air cleaner ??  Maybe the gas fills the bowl and overflows into the hose and causes a RICH startup ?? The gas could be the gurgling sound you hear ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 8:14am
Try shutting it down by turning off the gas and letting it just run out of fuel to drain the float bowl and also cool it down a bit. Then turn on the fuel and try re-starting.
slimbo3006 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slimbo3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 10:12am
Thinking outside of the fuel/air ratio...     Might want to double check your ignition timing.   Too much advance will lead to hard starting when hot.     It will start cold and run great, just hard to start again when hot. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic