This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis b advice please (new member)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis b advice please (new member)
    Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:09am
Hi I’m new to the forum and new to Allis Chalmers. I’m in the uk, is this a uk or American based site?

Brakes on the allis b, I imagine this is going to be fairly tricky judging by the videos I have watched. I was just going to dismantle and soak what I could in Diesel for a while to free off the two locating pins either side. Have seen on YouTube that some people drill the other side to drift them out but I don’t want to do that. Any advice or tips on making the job more easier.

My little b is petrol parifin 1947, someone before has fitted an inline fuel filter behind the air cleaner. I suspect it needs replacing. On occasion the engine will be running and driving In top gear and then sound like it’s struggling to pull fuel through, in that it revs then dies off then revs then dies off, after about 30 seconds it sound like it clears and sorts itself out.

Just looking for some advice on the above from those with a lot more experience of these tractors.

Cheers

Dan
Sponsored Links

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:34am
Welcome... this site is mostly USA, but there are some guys from all over the globe. I  can not answer your question but there are some on here who are well versed in the B, so with a little patience you should have an answer.

Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 10:14pm
http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf manual may help. Gummed up gas tank caps that aren't venting cause similar problems. Most easily found in line filters are made for the pressure from a fuel pump, and don't flow fuel enough for gravity fed fuel lines.

Gerald J.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 7:41am
Dan,
 Welcome to the forum!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 2:31pm
Cheers guys
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 4:13pm
Dan,  Let me welcome you to the  Unofficial Allis Chalmers Forum  You will find all kinds of help here.
My father was an Allis Chalmers Dealer.  I grew up with Allis.  We sold the B tractor for the life of the unit.  It is my favorite Allis Chalmers Tractor.  You will find the B to be a simple, dependable, and surprisingly powerful tractor.
Do you have a mag or a distributor on the unit?  Seventy one year ignition systems can have a multitude of problems.  Especially with the Mag units.  Coil problems. 
Deal with the gas flow first.  That may well solve your problem. 
As to the brakes when you get the old bands out be certain to hook a long wire and drag it through the opening.  That can be used to pull the new brake bands through.  Also, be certain the brake area is thoroughly cleaned.
Listen closely to what has been said on this thread.  You are being informed by some of the best mechanics I have never met.
Take good care of my favorite.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
2011dandd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2011dandd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 1:48am
Hi Bill
Don’t worry I intend to take good care of the b
It’s a Lucas mag unit that I believe was rebuilt not to long ago.
Most people that see the tractor tell me it’s on it’s ori tyres which lends me to believe that it’s had an easier life then others.
I’m looking forward to getting stuck in to the brakes and I think I will remove that inline filter to begin with!
Thanks
Dan

Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:39am
If you have a good sediment bowl at the bottom of the tank and the screen in the top is intact and complete, then there should be no need for an inline fuel filter.  
Another thing to check is if there is anything in the bottom of the fuel tank.  Sometimes there will be something in the bottom of the tank which will get sucked onto the outlet into the sediment bowl restricting flow.  once the engine sputters and starts to quit, it will release the vacuum created by the fuel flow and let the junk loose and fuel flow will resume.
I've not done brakes... but it's on my to do list, and from reading past posts here, there is NO easy way to replace the brake bands, but Bill provides good advice in using the wire so it's easier to pull the new bands back into place.   Expect to find 50 years of mouse nests, muddawber nests and other dirt/crud has settled down there making removal and installation lots of fun.
Good luck with the B.  it is a fun simple tractor and it doesn't seem to realize it's small, and it will try to work and keep up with the big boys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic