This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 620 wiring questions(noob)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 620 wiring questions(noob)
    Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 3:22am
Is there anyone here that can try to help me with some rewiring questions for an Allis 620? I picked up this old girl from a fellow that had done some custom wiring, but couldn't get the battery to charge. The ignition switch was a bit corroded on the terminals, and the terminal block has been replaced by individual spade connectors.

The switch had an "M" terminal on the back, but I'm thinking that the '
Allis didn't use the one with the M on it. So I picked up an RBSIA switch. Now I have to figure out what terminal connects to what.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:27am
We stock the correct Ignition switch and plug for the 620/720 Tractors. We also have repair sections at popular trouble area's. Visit our website (bb-customcircuits.com) if interested. I can help ya with the wiring and each circuits destination if you need help.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Jasonz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:53am
Thanks!

I guess where to start so that I don't make this into a treatise would be at the solenoid. The lug on the solenoid connects to the + battery terminal. Next to it, there is a spade connector. I forget where this routes to.

(my teenage son was eager to help take this out of the tractor last summer when I had broken my foot and was non-weight bearing for 12 weeks. He didn't label which wires went where)

I have the wiring diagram for the 620, but the wiring on the diagram doesn't match what I had.   

---If I follow the diagram, the male spade connector goes to circuit breaker (30 amp?)-->ammeter-->B terminal on the ignition switch?

There is also a neutral start switch on the diagram that is not found on my tractor. I can ignore this for the time being?

--From the stator there are 2 wires that connect to a regulator and there is a wire that comes off of a +B terminal there. This wire then should run to the "R" terminal on the switch?

I'll probably have more when I get home later today.
Thanks for your help!

Jason

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:13am
That circuit breaker should be 15 amp for the 15 amp system or 20 amp for the 20 amp system. The Amperage should be stamped on the circuit breaker. The main Battery feed to the Ammeter should be a Yellow wire with that circuit breaker inline. Right now I'm at work and not in my shop, so I don't have any service manuals in front of me with the wiring diagrams, but there's some trickery on color coding off of that VR. Two white wires come from the Stator to the VR. The BAT wire which in some cases is also white, till it gets to the connector. If memory serves me correctly, that white wire from the plug changes to a Black wire with a white tracer to the accessory side of the key switch. At that front plug there should be RED- oil pres. sw, Dark Blue- Ignition circuit, White- starter sol., & Black w/white tracer- BAT from VR. It doesn't surprise me that the N/S switch is missing. They're usually the first thing to go and they're taken out of the loop, thrown away, and never put back in...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Jasonz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 3:49pm
Ok, so then the male spade terminal on the solenoid connects via yellow wire to the 20 amp circuit breaker/fuse->the ammeter->B terminal on ignition switch?

This is so much more helpful than staring at a wiring diagram whilst scratching my head.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 8:02am
Yes. Off the other side of the Ammeter you have a Black wire which feeds that Battery power to the Ignition switch to power up the rest of the Tractor.
Jasonz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 8:55am
(rubs hands together)

Excellent. Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic