This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air hose quick connects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air hose quick connects
    Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 5:37am
A few years ago I bought some quick connects at a tool store in Jolin mo. They were very good quality and never leaked. I’m looking for something similar. I’ve tried everything Home Depot Lowe’s and the local hardware has to offer. All leak in short order. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 6:41am
I get my quick disconnect fittings through Napa. They're made by Lincoln. Never had any problems with them. Make sure your air system is clean of moisture. That's what causes some of the problems they have like internal rust and dirt making them stick or leak...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 6:45am
Have you tried Milton brand? Most of the big box store ones are a Milton knockoff. Napa used to carry them. Our local Runnings has them.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 8:30am
 Well,,,mine were startin to leak some and I replaced 2 of them with some from ole Shameless's favorite Harbor Freight,,,and,,,,and,,,they DO NOT leak,,,,ya just got to use two vice grips to get the friggin couplers apart,,,,I bet some disassembly and  quick "machinin" on my trusty lathe will do the trickClapClap Whacha think??Clap

You know,,,I been thinkin on something,,,and without startin a big azzed argumant here,,one aspect of the trade wars goin on is that those foreign countries DO steal our manufactoring  secrets when they take and copy American engineered products and then manufactor their version and sell it back to us at a much cheaper price due to their country's cheaper wage scales,,,,? I apploud President Trump's efforts in tryin to stop that chit but often wonder how that will ultimately affect the American consumer and especially  us old "cheapsters",,!!  American engineerin and manufactorin ranks right up there with all the German mfg'rs for highest quality in most manufactorin,,but due to certain factors winds up makin consumers to look for less costly alternates,,,,,????? whew,,that was a mouthful for me,,,,LOL

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 8:44am
Local auto parts still gets me Milton connectors, they had their brand but they would leak over short time and I just went back to Milton. Used the long shank 'L' series for forever, got tired of having the long shank break or crack so stepped to 'M' series not unhappy but can snag disconnect them when least need to. Positives and negatives for all series, just prefer Milton as last a long time.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 9:30am
I put milton universal connectors on my hoses. There double o ringed and made so most style nipples will fit.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:59am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,,mine were startin to leak some and I replaced 2 of them with some from ole Shameless's favorite Harbor Freight,,,and,,,,and,,,they DO NOT leak,,,,ya just got to use two vice grips to get the friggin couplers apart,,,,I bet some disassembly and  quick "machinin" on my trusty lathe will do the trickClapClap Whacha think??Clap

You know,,,I been thinkin on something,,,and without startin a big azzed argumant here,,one aspect of the trade wars goin on is that those foreign countries DO steal our manufactoring  secrets when they take and copy American engineered products and then manufactor their version and sell it back to us at a much cheaper price due to their country's cheaper wage scales,,,,? I apploud President Trump's efforts in tryin to stop that chit but often wonder how that will ultimately affect the American consumer and especially  us old "cheapsters",,!!  American engineerin and manufactorin ranks right up there with all the German mfg'rs for highest quality in most manufactorin,,but due to certain factors winds up makin consumers to look for less costly alternates,,,,,????? whew,,that was a mouthful for me,,,,LOL

Joe I will answer your question. I gave $ 15.00 a piece for the female couplers I bought in Joplin. I bought them when I was up there working the tornado rebuild. They are still good to this day. They ride in the back of my truck every day rain or shine and you can bet the boys don’t drain my compressor each day at quitting time when there is cold beer waiting.
I buy the best that Lowe’s or HD has and they leak right away or at least within 2 weeks. So if I buy (4) ?4.00 connectors per hose per year or buy I $ 15.00 connector that sassy 8 years I feel like the cheapster in me is satisfied with the good’ens. I won’t give $ 200.00 for a 7/8” wrench though.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 11:14am
Thad look at the retaining ring on the female end and see if where the coupler locks on if they're getting worn from the little ball bearings wearing on them. Plus the o-rings inside get worn and can leak quite a bit. I know NAPA used to keep them here in Fulton and handled Milton products. Then again, are you listening Joe, I would take the coupler apart and turn the o-ring over the leak would stop.   Leon
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 11:35am
These fittings I like only have 3 balls instead of 5. They’re smallish and rounded. Less damaging to floors and woodwork.
I will try the Milton’s.
I have bought some at Horrible fright that had seams in the males and wouldn’t even hook together. I shined them up and got them working but not to a satisfactory liking.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 1:17pm
Had to reman. the HF ones myself! LOL!!! It's shameless's fault! LOL!!! ( I am gone!!)
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 8:42pm
the standard coupling they sell at MOST stores is the 1/4 inch INDUSTRIAL coupler.. The problem (besides cheap) is the center hole is about .170 inch diameter. That don't flow much air........... I bought a 1000 ft pound impact at Harbor Freight and it would not put out 250 ft pounds of torque. Read on some internet machinist site that you SHOULD be using 3/8 ich AUTOMOTIVE coupler. I found the cheapest place was MILTON at Harbor Freight... they also had Central Phneumatic brand ... You get one coupler and 3 male ends for $8.00  ... I bought about $50. worth and converted all the OLD couplers to the NEW 3/8 size... All the male ends are machined on the lathe, not cast or stamped out... And the center hole is .280 inch instead of .170 inch so it has about TWICE the air flow.. Makes a big difference on impacts and small grinder performance.  I still use the 1/4 inch hoses as the inside of the hose fittings is in the .250 inch range and not a problem.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 8:50pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

YEA........... It was MERLIN, not Milton

Steve I’m going to try those. Only problem I see is that no one could borrow my tools. 👍👍👍
I do get plenty of air to my nail guns as is.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 1:16am
Guys when I owned my tire shop we started out with Milton's. Under daily use they leak. We went to Parker brand, the quick disconnect units. They use Milton male ends. We would get close to a year out of them.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 3:12am
 Say,,,,!! Steve,,,those are good lookin male ends ,,,looks like an extra register where an O ring seats,,,HMmmmm,,I might give those a closer look next time I go shoppin,,,,LOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Steve I’m going to try those. Only problem I see is that no one could borrow my tools. 👍👍👍

That's a problem?
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

That's a problem?

No that’s a thumbs up with a touch of sarcasm.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 12:10pm
10-4 Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 1:57pm
YEP........ it actually cost me TWICE THAT MUCH, because a week later I had to redo the Sons shop so we could use each others tools.... ( actually he uses mine quite often, don't remember the last time  I HAD TO BORROW something !!!)
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 2:40pm
I have started using the HF Merlin Universal couplers (female 1/4" npt #63549, male 1/4" npt #63550) and having fewer leaks with those. They do need a bit more force to go together. They will accept several of the different male ends so I don't have to change ends if I borrow a tool. Tru-flate was my preferred brand but harder to get now.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 5:36pm
Ok you have to have a universal female around Confusedunless you are so posperous you own every air tool even dreamed up.LOL

Rather than borrowing tools,I ask a friend that likes to see how everything works and comes apart. Wink Sometimes he likes to use his tools at my place so if I have a universal fitting all  is good.LOL

I have some good ones that are pricey but for my not every day use are 15 years old and still good. They are out in the rain as I am to poor to have shop, Wink and this is sunny California.LOL The local bearing house was pushing them for a time, but to hard to sell with all the cheap guys buying HF.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 5:46pm
Ra, HF also sells TENTS to make a shop !! Big smile
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 7:33pm

Ra, HF also sells TENTS to make a shop !! Big smile

Some days in the winter shop, it sure is nice when the sun shines in, Winkthe summer shop has to move if I want morning shade Wink or afternoon shade Wink. Then there is my dads shop WinkWinkWink, it was the top of a tank house that I don't think ever had a tank in it 12 x 12 walk in door and a 2x3 window with just a shuter.LOLLOL Does keep power tools dry and bolt bins,Wink and cannot find nothen. Wink
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 8:09pm
Been using the HF connectors for several years and have not had any problems but then agAin they are not used every day.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 9:23pm
A hunnert years ago, back when I was working in the Shell station, we had ends that all you had to do was push them together.  You didn't have to hold the female ring back while pushing the male into it.  Sure wish I knew what they were!!!
All these new ones are such a PITA to hold, push and release and hope.  China junk...and NOT a boat...
I don't mind spending more on something that is worth it and works well.
Anybody got any ideas who makes them?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:00am
I’ve got a couple that came on an expired Dewalt portable compressor. They are bulky and stiff but several years old and don’t leak.
I think I found what I’m looking for on Amazon. $$$$ although I also saw some small Milton’s on there that I’m tempted to try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic