This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Filter on HD16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Filter on HD16
    Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 6:22pm
Hello friends

Would a K&N Pod filter of sufficient size be able to meet the needs for a HD16?? Just curious.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Sponsored Links

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 11:34pm
IIRC from previous discussion of these it will likely be OK for keeping out big rocks and small birds.

Research needed I think before you dive
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 6:20am
The answer is no.

To get sufficient air flow and filtration you need a significant in size air cleaner. What you are looking at will suffice for a Coal Throwing pickup truck on a city street but hardly a dirt working high air demand diesel Tractor with roughly twice the Cu In displacement.

Finding a replacement air filter from a reasonably sized diesel Truck(five ton or larger) will be the adequate size.

If just need replacement elements look to Baldwin Filters suppliers as they generally have to older outdated assemblies. Application Associates supply my needs on my 7G.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Dec 2018 at 6:35am
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 6:21am
Thank you Ian. I have factory set up and new paper element in canister. I used the K&N pod while stripping and painting air filter and the pod seemed to work pretty well.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 6:35am
Is a will fit jerbob, need to be really cautious when do something as that as it takes but a tablespoon of dirt down an intake to destroy an engine, I have seen that done as a experiment.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 7:59am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Is a will fit jerbob, need to be really cautious when do something as that as it takes but a tablespoon of dirt down an intake to destroy an engine, I have seen that done as a experiment.

Thank you DMiller.
I suspected that but wanted to have it confirmed by experts in this old iron. I have a new spec filter for replacement on my 16. Had a couple of open seams on the original filter housing repaired and was using s pod filter in the short term. The original filter assembly is repaired and airtight, sanded, primed and painted. Putting back on. Thank you for the input Ian and DMiller.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 11:51am
i would stay with OEM as well.  to much risk imho
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 6:11pm
Once that pod gets some dirt innit, that motor will suck the filter up the pipe, like a dirty sock...Wink
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 6:25pm
Hahahaha, great visual.

Thank you,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic