This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aftermarket power tool batteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aftermarket power tool batteries
    Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:41am
I know we’ve talked about this before and I’ve had nothing good to say about them. That said, a coworker took a chance on a couple Amazon aftermarket Dewalt 20 volt 5 AH batteries. 2 for $48.00
We are seeing no performance difference between these and original Dewalt batteries.
I think I’m going to give them a try.
Anyone else had luck with them?
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:49am
I have no need for battery tool batteries, All my tools either have a cord or air hose connection. Everyone I know using battery powered tools spends more time waiting for the batteries to recharge than actually getting any work done. If a project can't get to my shop on the barn for power it doesn't need me to do it.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:59am
I had Good DeWalt cordless tools in 18v that lasted for close to twenty years, know all too many with 24v that are crapping out on a few years and are disposable.

Used to find battery shops could rehab the NiCads, NO ONE would/will touch the LiIon packs when they fail, and the once popular battery shops are closing around here.

Edited by DMiller - 14 Sep 2024 at 7:02am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 7:19am
One problem with repairing LIion packs ,is that you can buy a complete NEW pack for less than a properly repaired one.
heck I'm STILL on my 6 year old RYOBI 18V+ packs . Yes, used every day. Even have a 3rd 'combo pack' sitting on the shelf
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 7:25am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

I had Good DeWalt cordless tools in 18v that lasted for close to twenty years, know all too many with 24v that are crapping out on a few years and are disposable.

Used to find battery shops could rehab the NiCads, NO ONE would/will touch the LiIon packs when they fail, and the once popular battery shops are closing around here.

Same. Best I ever owned.
I’d still be using them but the tools themselves were flat wore out and batteries hard to find.
We had a battery outfit that used to rebuild them. They’re just a sales store now, no repair.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 7:27am
The 24v Li I packs I have for Dewalt and Makita are Junk.  When first set would not take a charge after 3 years sent to DeWalt, they sent back as have no method to repair, suggested to buy new, added to Not allow below 25% power and to Not LEAVE on Charger past 90% for best life.  Makita Repair call came up Same Nonsense.  If cannot get good life and usable time from a decent charge is better to run a cord.

Actually been replacing with Corded again.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 7:28am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

I have no need for battery tool batteries, All my tools either have a cord or air hose connection. Everyone I know using battery powered tools spends more time waiting for the batteries to recharge than actually getting any work done. If a project can't get to my shop on the barn for power it doesn't need me to do it.  

I feel the same but we jump around a lot. My crew does a bunch of punch list work.
The job actually requires battery tools. I still buy chorded tools for anything heavy duty.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 8:36am
I have had a 19.2 volt Craftsman system for over 20 years... Drill, grinder, recip saw, cut off saw, lights, impact, etc.... I bought a "test" set of aftermarket batteries on e-bay about 15 years ago... lasted over 4 years, but charge life started dropping... I have bought 2 new batteries on AMAZON every 2 years since then.. I keep the 2 NEW and the 2 that are two years old for daily use.. I use them every day for something... NO extension cords for short jobs for me !!......  $50. for a pair and they last 4 years is not too bad..Some still work after 4-5-6 year, but i retire them after about 4 years..

WHO made them dont seem to be a real problem.. They are ALL MADE IN CHINA.. I normally look for a seller that has sold a few hundred and has a 90% success rate.

Several years ago they were 4 amp batteries... then 5 amp... Last ones i got were 7 amp capacity....  always buy LITHIUM.

Edited by steve(ill) - 14 Sep 2024 at 8:38am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 3:34pm
My experience with aftermarket LI batteries has not been good.

I have a lot of Ridgid 18 volt tools and several Ridgid 18 volt batteries. I have had very good luck with them. A couple years ago I bought a couple 18 volt aftermarket batteries from Amazon. Neither battery lasted a year.

We also have some Ryobi 40 volt tools; a push mower, grass trimmer, shrub trimmer and a blower. The Ryobi batteries have lasted pretty well. Two years ago, I bought an aftermarket 40 volt batter (also from Amazon). My wife just told me a couple days ago that the aftermarket battery won't charge.

My feeling is that it's worth paying a little more for batteries from the manufacturer of the tools. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 5:02pm
1800 people bought this battery and 90% had good luck.. That has been my experience. I think i had 1 battery die after 12 months.. and i have probably bought 10 of them.

I did take that battery apart and ONE CELL was bad. I installed ONE CELL from a 4 year old battery that i was scrapping and then used it for another 2-3 years.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 7:03pm
Or as I do, unroll my 40' extension cord 12 ga wire, plug in the 120v drill and do my work only attending to that cord.  No Chargers, No batteries laying in bags, belts or loose, no need to get close to finishing and having to scrounge that one decent enough almost recharged battery to finish up.  Finish the Job roll the cord, roll up the drill cord, place both away and not worry of a li battery fire on a charger in my shop to cost me a bundle.

Get tired of Battery swaps and games, go back to the often bad mouthed Single Electrical cord and possibly a Generator if no site power available.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 8:34pm
I got too many jobs that are 100 - 200 ft from a power plug !!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 9:14pm
We do huge Halloween and Christmas displays. I can't imagine dragging a cord to every spot we are working on stuff. 
I rarely use corded or air tools in the garage anymore. I, personally, will never use anything other than cordless tools.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 10:07pm
I have a 1 HP 7-1/2 inch circ saw and 9 inch grinder (120v) for the bigger jobs ... and a 1/2 HP 4.5 inch grind and recip saw (120v) ..... Use them when necessary... But 75% of the jobs can be done with the battery powered 19.2v  ..... and the "setup" time is zero..

Edited by steve(ill) - 14 Sep 2024 at 10:08pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 3:48am
Read your own posts, buying batteries in volumes, where do you dispose of? Only local place we have now is Lowes and Home Depot, the Lowes we used for a long time put a limit of ten per week staging the disposal box near customer service and you had to sign for bags to contain them to determine if were overloading the Free system.
Contractors in larger small towns are disposing of hundreds of these per month. Think on the waste processes.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 6:44am
Our local lumberyard quit selling Dewalt batteries. Told us that 3 out of 4 replacement batteries were returned within a week or two.
I’ve never got a bad one( all mine came with a tool) but the price is insane for no longer than they last.
I’m gonna try a couple aftermarket.
I have a box I mounted 6 Dewalt chargers on. Ran them through a power strip and a breaker.
I got tired of never having an open outlet because we had four or five chargers going.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 9:48am
I bought thr black replacements from amazon as replacements for the original DewWalts.  They ran like a champ and are outperforming the originals by far.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 7:46am
I have replaced my 18 volt B&D firestorm batteries with aftermarket 20V LIon batteries off amazon had to buy a new charger. the after market that I bought are great. I hardly ever use a air tool any more and corded tools just sit in the storage unless im building a complete building. the LIon batteries last a long time. when I go out fencining I put an extra battery for the chain saw in the quad tool box but otherwize I just take a one on the tool. just push the button on the battery and check the state of charge before I leave the shop. 
ekjdm14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ekjdm14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2024 at 11:03am
Horses for courses IMO. I can see the attraction of no cord/hose & the portability for those doing mobile/spread out kinds of work but at the same time you've got the cost of replacement batteries/extras if you're working all day and having to wait on charging before you can go again (and the lack of outright power unless you spend bigger bucks).

For what it's worth, I probably would go over to battery power IF the packs were more servicable. Sadly lots seem to have "protection" which renders the pack U/S as soon as you remove a cell to replace, I can see the value of undervoltage protection with Li but at the same time how hard would it be to include a way to reset it once tripped? I think that is one of the major factors in battery rebuilders going out of business, more so than the safety aspect since 18650 cells are pretty robust & I've even got away with (carefully) soldering connections in place of the original spot-welded tabs.

Then there's the question of lithium mining & the  possible moral issues surrounding the labour used, not to mention the environmental impect of the dead cells/pack.  All in all they're great when you need them, but for now I'll just lug a generator if I can't run a long enough lead to the job...

Edited by ekjdm14 - 16 Sep 2024 at 11:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic