This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on equipment needed for farming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

as far as cleaning out your steer lot hire it done. We had the 20 year old manure pile spread at the farm 2 years ago its was a very big pile 200 cows for 20 years. it took the guy with a quadtrack a spreader and real big payloader 2 weeks 160 loads  and we just kept farming as usual. when we started the smaller pile at the outer farm we never did get it finished we could only get a load or two out before something else came up and wed stop and go fix some other more pressing problem. we still have about 20 loads left out of the pole barn pile to move.  this year the man that dozed out the winter feed lot only took 20 triaxle dump truck loads of manure as payment. was a big win for us.  we try to remove the twine when we fill the feeders but some always gets out to the field.

May I ask why the poo wasn't hauled for 20 years ??
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 7:28pm
To the OP, how is the manure getting loaded? Is your 180 fitted with rear wheel weights or liquid ballust? Some of the replies insinuating to just "bail" on farming it and rent it out makes me laugh, GO FOR IT !!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:26pm
I guess you must have a skid steer loader available for loading the manure.  If it were me I would put it in windrows and let it compost over the summer, just have to turn it a few times.  Easier to spread, and better for the soil.  I'd just plant hay, you get more chances each year to get a crop and can always sell some hay and buy grain (or trade for it).
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:27am
I wouldnt try to get all the equipment at one time, and especially not the best you  can think of right away. We moved out to the farm a few years ago, started with a ford tractor and borrowed equipment from family. We gradually picked up a planter, drill, disk, packer, brush hog, haybine, baler, rake ect over two years. Started with a K, moved to an F2, now we are at a JD 9400, I bought the 200 last summer, we graduated to a chisel plow last year and picked up a big field cultivator this year. My point being you can get away with older smaller equipment at first and start to upgrade once you see if its going to work out and then you will be able to see which piece of equipment needs upgraded. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace can be your friend. We have bought a couple pieces at auction but in my experience things can go much higher than they are worth.
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
Mad jim macafee View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:47pm
Im in northern indiana. Father in law and i broke down today and went halfs on another tractor.the one eighty diesel is having problems with spewing out antifreeze after running more than an hour. He didn't want to take it yet. Got to bring this othern home on Friday. Its an hour and some change drive by pick-up. How long will it take me in a allis chalmers 7060 to bring it back to the barn. Also, any tips on hiding it from the ol ladies would be appreciated...
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Mad jim macafee Mad jim macafee wrote:

Also, any tips on hiding it from the ol ladies would be appreciated...

I managed to keep a 170 for almost a year lol
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:04pm
How?
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:11pm
Just remember that everything has 3 prices...the price you paid, the price you told the wife you paid, and the price you pay when she finds out what you really paid.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:12pm

How?
Left it right out in the open which sometimes that’s the best place to hide something lol
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:21pm
I was surprised to see that a 7060 with either a PD or PS(you didn't say which you bought) would run over 19 MPH in road gear :-)
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:23pm
The beef steers bought it for us to use... it was really nice of them... mine knows now, as she asked when i got home from Ohio. Mother-in-law doesn't yet, but ill probably get blamed. Im just gonna blame the steers.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:39pm
Tell them to talk to your father in law. I always get a pass when it’s my father in laws idea lol. So if it runs 19mph are you figuring five hours? Be neat to video the journey and then speed up the footage.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 9:52pm
Not a powershift, we are both afraid of them. If they go out you might as well buy a new tractor for the price it takes to repair them. He's been looking at case tractors for 2 years and i've been looking at auction window chalk on how much people spent to work on them. 9-14000. Wow!!!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 10:03pm
Tell them its the neighbors tractor and you are just borrowing to try out.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:19pm
check "Kelly Ryan Equipment Company"
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 7:52am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

With todays cost of inputs------look for another renter and save all the headaches and heartaches of it! Your looking at MAJOR money out and no return back on it! --- Tread lightly and carefully my friend!
Yes but that's no fun. My advise is give up all the other bad habits and then a person can just have this one bad habit and it'll probably save you money. Wink
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

With todays cost of inputs------look for another renter and save all the headaches and heartaches of it! Your looking at MAJOR money out and no return back on it! --- Tread lightly and carefully my friend!
Yes but that's no fun. My advise is give up all the other bad habits and then a person can just have this one bad habit and it'll probably save you money. Wink
Ha, that's a fantastic post Lonn!WinkSmile
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 8:44am
5-6 hours drive time for the 7060, if your figuring 75-80 miles.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 9:30pm
We have a bobcat for the spreader. The shaft on the beater was in worse shape than we thought. Getting a new one made and the old beaters welded back. This tractor is big enough to run the rest of our family's equipment that we need to run. And we're going to hire them to plant for us. A buddy offered to pick the tractor up for the cost of fuel. As much as id like to clog up traffic, id still like to run it around the field a few times before I'd be completely confident on a 4 hour journey at 18-19 mph. (I checked it out on maps). Looking for duals for her next. Might have a haybine and rake bought this year. I appreciate all of the feedback!!!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 7:46pm
Brought the 7080 home yesterday so we could get prepping it for the field. Gotta switch the 1000 to 540 on the pto. Took be 3 1/2 hrs going home. No problem whatsoever. Sounded the same driveway to driveway. On fencing, been looking for guardrail but my days bending over for someone else to get a dime are over. Ill get it, it just takes time.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 7:57pm
So the other day the neighbor was over and were talking about insulation in the toolroom. He said something about how much heat the cattle put out when they're all in the barn. A few minutes later, one of our steers let one loose that sounded kinda wet. As funny as it sounds, my thoughts went immediately to fencing. They like to scratch and rub and i don't know about anyone else on here, but thats gonna itch when it dries. No wonder we spend so much time on fencing.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 9:35pm

Brought the 7080 home yesterday so we could get prepping it for the field. Gotta switch the 1000 to 540 on the pto. Took be 3 1/2 hrs going home. No problem whatsoever. Sounded the same driveway to driveway. On fencing, been looking for guardrail but my days bending over for someone else to get a dime are over. Ill get it, it just takes time.
Now I'm confused...7060 or 7080?
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:49am
Watch Facebook marketplace, Craigslist and area consignment sales. Don’t get too fancy and buy carefully and you will have lots of fun puttering with 35 acres.   I disagree fully with rent it out folks. Putter away. Nothing else sell idiot bricks to horse people.

Edited by victoryallis - 15 Mar 2020 at 5:50am
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 6:25am
Im sorry, 7060...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 6:34am
re: Nothing else sell idiot bricks to horse people.

I met a local trucker and he hauled 'idiot bricks' to NC or FL ( I forget,was 5-10 year ago) EVERY week ! He said they can't grow good feed down there. I'm betting after a few months, the ride would be BORING.... great $$ in it for him and farmer up here though !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad jim macafee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 12:59pm
We're planning on putting first cutting in rounds for ourselves, and second and third are for the grinder and for selling in small squares.
On another note, this cab is lacking any padding or carpet. Can anyone find me a picture of what it should look like new?
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 1:18pm
Way back when, we were selling hay (never knew small squares as "idiot bricks" until today) to a horse farm in MD and two in FL. We sold it for at least 4 times more than we could ever think of doing locally. They also paid the trucking.
I lost touch with them when my Dad decided to shut things down around 1984, I kept things going for him locally until he decided (read: "was convinced by one of my sisters") to just end things and sell-off all the equipment etc. in 1991. I'm not even sure I'd recall or remember their names. We bought his land in 2011, most all of it had gone back to woods. Slowly but surely clearing and reclaiming. Now getting ready again to sell, I sure want to see if those ol' boys are still around and buying lol!
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 1:27pm

From a black belly. Maroon does not have posts and side bar covered.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 1:39pm

New floor mat I just put in 7040. The holes for shifter and hi lo buttons are marked but not cut out in case you have a different transmission
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 2:17pm
Fehr (google em) has cab kits for that and many others. Cut to fit,glue,instructions etc. Other places sell their kits....they are as good as any you will find. Did my 8070 and F2 Gleaner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic