This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AD4 grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostriderinthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AD4 grader
    Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 12:28pm
hi   i am new here. i just purchased an old ad4 motor grader. the serial number is in the 3000 range. i was wondering if this machine had the 10.00x24 front tires as original equipment.  also am needing to know what recommended lube for the transmission and diff housing would be.  also it has manual steering,does anyone have any idea about an add on power steering unit?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 3:22pm
according to Norms's Construction equipment book... all AD series graders including Forty-five and later 45, had 9.00x24 front tires except early AD which had 7.50x24 all rear tires were 13.00x24
serial #'s in 3xxx range are as follows:
1949: 2791-3420
1950: 3421-3950
1951: 3951-4310

I would use 80-90 gear lube, original oil may have been 30wt engine oil i dont know for sure.  dozers of that vintage use motor oil or gear lube.  just dont use GL5 with EP (extreme pressure) additives as it can eat brass used in bushings etc.

my best guess for power steering would be a Charlynn type unit installed onto the steering shaft like the tractors.  Maby the parts from a later model with power steering but that would be alot harder to find.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
ghostriderinthesky View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostriderinthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 3:52pm
well it looks like it is a 49 model. the front tires are 13x24 and the rims must have been changed also "I Think".   the oil in the tranny doesn't smell like gear lube but more like motor oil.    about the steering motor?   i once had a cat 12 with the ad on power steering that just went into the steering shaft with a small pump mounted under the tractor with a small tank also to hold the power steer fluid. it worked like a charm!   i would like to find something like that if possible.    also there is a small 90 degree gear box under the operator station that drives the control box in front of the operator. it has some wobble in it and i want to rebuild it. does anyone have a schematic that describes what bearing setup it has??   like an old parts book or something?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 9:30pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 4:08am
Check that the manual covers engine as well.  The Jensales repro of the service manual for a "Forty Five" grader doesn't have a lot on engine.  Means you need access to the HD 11 equivalent for serious engine stuff.

I'm not knocking Jensales - they have reproduced the Allis manual which has been bloody handy.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostriderinthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 6:32am
Thanks for the input everyone.   i will try the jensales manual,i was looking for a reputable manual but just didn't know what manual would be the best.    as for the engine,it has the 471 detroit or GM diesel and that is one engine i am very familiar with.  as i have have several 71 series engines in other equipment.     i also found a  power steering system that should work just fine.    I used it on my driveway yesterday and the moleboard roles dirt like none other.

Thanks    Ghost
James Coons View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Coons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 5:01pm
Schreytg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schreytg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:28pm
I’m just looking to find out how to shut down the grader. 1949 AD4. There’s a lever to the right of the seat. I think if I pull it up it will shut down the engine. Just inherited this thing with my land purchase. Have figured most everything else out and she actually turns over.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostriderinthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:57pm
on mine all youhave to do is pull the throttle lever all the way up.  are you sure you have an ad4?    hint if it is an ad4 and it has the detroit engine in it and it hasn't been started in a long time then be ready for a run away engine.  you need to know how to kill it in an emergency.
Schreytg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schreytg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:37am
I’ve heard that and will be ready to cut off the air. My buddy used to run one and told me the injectors will stuck open. Yes it is an AD4 with the 471 Detroit. Serial number is AD4 2931. So a 1949. I’ll be attempting to bleed the fuel rail today and get her running. She turns over good. Thanks for the info.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:18am
It's very easy to pull the valve cover and check rack travel to avoid stuck rack/runaway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic