This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC to DC welder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC to DC welder
    Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 7:02am
Anyone have any experience adding a rectifier to an ac transformer welder to make it a dc welder. Did it weld like a dc welder?
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:40am
Yes , I have added 600 Amp diodes to welder ( diodes off large plating rectifier )and tried 1/2 wave first with 2 diodes - then went to full wave bridge using 4 diodes . 
 I used copper sheet stock for the heat sink and used 3 pieces to make a kind of fan shaped base for rectifiers .
 It works but it seems on 60 cycle AC there is some lag in arc also seemed some loss of AMP to weld as had to use higher setting to get same results on 6011 and 6010P, 7018 rod ran about the same .
  My Pow Con welder is a AC to DC welder using rectifiers internally but uses a high frequency boost before rectifying which gives a smooth DC.
 When I bought my first Miller 180 Amp - AC welder the next step up was a 220 Amp unit that had built in AC/DC unit for single phase 220 volt 60 cycle .
  Now my Miller 304 is also AC / DC using the frequency boost to get smooth arc , as it seems Miller used Pow Con design ( also the ability to MIG , TIG , and SMAW ) after Thermal Arc bought Pow Con manufacturing out.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:44am
Odd part is the Pow Con / Thermal Arc machines weigh a lot less than my old 180 Amp Miller . The Miller 304 machines weighs about twice what the others weigh but has built in switching for TIG high frequency where first 2 are scratch start .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:54am
Thank's Coke, I should added that the welder is a 225 Lincoln amp ac welder 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 10:08am
There's a website/guy who modified his 225 ! 'somewhere'... You'll need a dead microwave. grab the transformer from it, remove the wires, then wind 5-6 turns of welding cable through it to make a 'choke'. That'll 'smooth' the DC from the diodes to get a better weld....
I'll try to find the article...right now trying to get RID of the MS 'news KRAP' that magically appeared in the 'search' spot of the taskbar. So far 5 different ways to get RID of it hasn't,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 12:19pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VL_ggERQjU

Edited by steve(ill) - 14 Jun 2022 at 12:32pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 10:19pm
Jay - try CC Cleaner - free - I have been using that couple times a week when logging in and sure removes a lot of junk . 
  Somewhere around here I have another 6 or so of them big diodes still from another rectifier I scrapped . 
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 4:20am
My neighbor (now deceased) built his own full-wave bridge rectifier for his Lincoln buzz box 40+ years ago; he said it worked great but I never used it myself.

That rectifier shown above by Steve (ill) looks like a nice, easy option.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 6:42am
coke.. somehow MS installed 'news and interests' in the 'search' spot on the taskbar.Mouse over it and a HUGE 'window' appears. I ain't the ONLY guy pizzed about it and so far 4 different ways to eliminate it, even editting the registry don't KILL the damn thing......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 6:19pm
nella, i have not converted an AC machine, but have thought about trying it on an old BUZZBOX..... My daily machine is a AC/DC MILLER 200 amp..

Looking on  "THE NET" it appears most will use the combination DIODE set i posted above.. You need the 300 amp size or so... there are 100 amp and 200 amp models also.. surely the 100 amp would be minimal size.

It is a good idea to buy an aluminum heat sink and bolt to the back of the DIODE set to get rid of the heat.

The diode gives you a PULSE DC output.. You want a somewhat CONSTANT DC so one way to do that is to add a BIG CAPACITOR... Something in the 50 - 100,000 uf size rated at 50 -63 volt range....

Some of the sites talk about using a "CHOKE" which is a coil of welding lead around an iron core.... but some do not use that.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic