This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC TL-16 vs. Caterpillar 944

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC TL-16 vs. Caterpillar 944
    Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 8:25am
Looking at old school rigid frame wheel loaders and have narrowed the field to the two choices above.  Would like to hear the pros and cons of these machines.  The chosen unit will work on topsoil and move 1,000 pound boulders to aid in building a stone wall.  

Appreciative of any insights!  ~  Orangeman
Sponsored Links

Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 10:50am
I ran a TL-12 that like the 16 has very far forward operator position this makes getting in and out more difficult but I prefer the visibility that provides. 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 11:13am
Since you are looking at 60 year old machines with limited parts available. How many are expecting to come out of the woods if you put a wanted ad out?

You have a better chance to find Cat parts as they are still in business. But have found early wheel loaders used a lot of parts that are special to wheel loaders so they are hard to find.

So look long and hard before spending your money. Then it will still be a guess which has the most life left. Good luck picking a winner.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 6:02pm
Lee and Ray54 - Thanks for the input.  In the case of the AC TL-16  I have a choice of three non running - one with a cab.  So likely would take all three to make one.  The Caterpillar 944A has a cab and ran recently but has a pony motor for starting.  As I understand, the early 944A machines came with a pony motor but can be converted to DC electric  start motor.   The 944 machines carried on as a 944B and may have served as the design basis for the Caterpillar 950 wheel loader.  I also understand that Caterpillar has few if any parts remaining for the pony motor.  So likely, that the machine would need to be converted to a direct electric start.   There is also a AC 840B with Cab that is running nearby and working but not sure I can convince the owner to sell at this time.  Again, certainly appreciate the insights.  
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 9:48am
all the old cat parts are shrinking fast  but thier are more of the cat stuff left than the rest put together
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 12:05pm
Hudco:  thank for those good insights.  Is the Cat parts availability better because they sold more units or just the fact that Cat still survives and had dealers that along with the company had stockpiles of parts and perhaps deeper stronger resources that allowed them to remain in the present rough and tumbler heavy equipment market place?  ~ Respectfully,  ~ Orangeman
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by orangeman orangeman wrote:

Lee and Ray54 - Thanks for the input.  In the case of the AC TL-16  I have a choice of three non running - one with a cab.  So likely would take all three to make one.  The Caterpillar 944A has a cab and ran recently but has a pony motor for starting.  As I understand, the early 944A machines came with a pony motor but can be converted to DC electric  start motor.   The 944 machines carried on as a 944B and may have served as the design basis for the Caterpillar 950 wheel loader.  I also understand that Caterpillar has few if any parts remaining for the pony motor.  So likely, that the machine would need to be converted to a direct electric start.   There is also a AC 840B with Cab that is running nearby and working but not sure I can convince the owner to sell at this time.  Again, certainly appreciate the insights.  

I think your logic is a little off...  Likely all three are wore out in the same places...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 6:26pm
I had a old 55 Pettibone T-11 machine for several years , and with a Detroit 3-71 , fwd /rev box, 4 speed transmission , torque converter with Allison box and clutch . Problem with any straight frame machine and rear steering is they seldom track in any movement without a lot of steering positioning. 
 You could load from a pile . move to dump into truck , and not get back to where you loaded without a lot of maneuvering
 If it was me I would look for any articulated machine . A 1 ton rock should be no problem for any machine with a 2 yard bucket as for power to lift .
 Roading a straight frame means going in reverse as with steer in back they wander all over . All the old loaders with cab forward and loader arms behind operator can be widow makers , as access to operator station is over or under loader booms . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2024 at 9:59pm
i spent many hours on a 966a and when all the steering was at its best you had to rode it in reverse the one i run run had zero brakes  , i was real good at shuttleing it from forward to nutral to  reverse for braking  that was 40 years ago
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic