This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC newbie. Brought home a '54 WD45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dneprdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC newbie. Brought home a '54 WD45
    Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 10:52pm
Hey all,  I have been wanting an Allis Chalmers since I heard some of our family friends talk about them years ago. Growing up we had a JD 2030 loader and a 1530 (which was the one I always used). Later on a large McCormick 4WD added. I just brought home a '54 WD45 wide front end and I am so stoked. I have been a car and motorcycle fixer for years and I can't wait to dig into the Allis. It will be a family affair too. She runs well, but of course will need some attention. Not sure about the patina to strip or restore/clear. Anyway, I'm in Western NC and look forward to the camaraderie. Take care and God bless!

Sponsored Links

Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 12:15am
Welcome to the group, there is a wealth of wisdom and knowledge on here with all the great folks. Your project looks good, I'd have a hard time deciding to paint or leave the wd45 in its work clothes, especially if I found a pair of front wheels in the same patina, all looks clean and original from the picture. Again welcome to the group and keep us updated.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 5:35am

Hi Matt

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Allis Forum.

That is one fine looking WD-45 and looks to be all original.

I strongly recommend that you get yourself a copy of the Allis Manual titled:

"Operating Instructions and Parts illustrations, Model WD-45 Tractor".

You can find them on ebay. See link

The Allis WD ( 1948 to 1953 ) was replaced by the WD-45 ( 1953 to 1957 )

They are a great old tractor with lots of fine features.

If it were me I would keep it the way it is - Original.

Gary

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116251455659?itmmeta=01J37SFNG37C09BED50RAZS15D&hash=item1b112070ab:g:j7IAAOSwiptmkabT&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwPpQMnjI4%2F8CLB5oTqHQRMu5NLDx97bZMt827UGYjZdmuZvjQEa9OxyIXo4dEowpEnavyro04Erg74GKrf2H38ElqUFuffHVTwcygU3PTscCyIUu%2FmFtCnMA9Zqio1SkcU71U5EB7qHiYiwV3nbFwVfFT7dcbJUYlj32Azoe8VsJ7xOYthJZYnhAGYu3TgEP0lWBDYruAcHz0YbS3LWrgc0GfeXddZwoRgTB02IE%2F2ZtpPOMtuDKSsgkKjME4ilVRA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5TYvvmZZA
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 7:37am
I grew up on a WD45,we ran it to death,Never figured I'd get another one but in the last year I ran into good deals on two of them a 1956 and a 57.just like old times.I'm just North of you in Virginia.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 8:51am
Congrats on your new find! That's a nice solid, straight Tractor you found. Looks good in its OEM work clothes. If you ever need any electrical components for wiring system for it, keep us in mind. Welcome to the bestest AC forum on the planet!
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 9:01am
Welcome Matt. Lots of good info and guys here. I've also seen some WD 45 videos on u tube you might like.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 9:59am
Someone sure bent the front axle perch. Something else had to bend to accommidate that!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 10:35am
that will be a good project its not a grease bucket thats a nice way to start
dneprdude View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dneprdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 12:38pm
Thank you all!
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 7:31pm

Looks good all around!

Mix up "shine juice" (YouTube vicegrip garage channel)  and wipe on a coat or two. Boiled Linseed oil and mineral spirits to thin. Let dry. Thinner coats better. Too thick and it remains sticky. Lasts a year outside or longer if garaged. Cheap, fast, and brings the shine while keeping patina. Much easier than a repaint.

No rear photos .. but the tractor gets a lot more useful with a three point hitch setup. There are many reasons modern tractors have Ferguson three point hitch designs. You can buy retrofit kits or work up your own. I posted images of the work up I used in an old post, uses a Ford 2000 lower arms, Kubota Tractor Supply verticals, and such.

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 8:55am
That's a great tractor to get started with. I am sure once you get started you'll want more, it's addictive. There is a large variety of AC snap coupler implements you could collect too. When we took a tractor to a show I always liked to have something AC hooked to it as well.
     Enjoy your new project.
only AC orange View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only AC orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 8:55pm
What am I missing? How can it be "original" with an alternator mounted on left frame rail?
dneprdude View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dneprdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 8:37am
Jvin... Would like to know more about the hitch. Thank you for the clear coat tip as well. Thank you guys for the positive words.

Edited by dneprdude - 22 Jul 2024 at 8:39am
dneprdude View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dneprdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 8:40am
Originally posted by only AC orange only AC orange wrote:

What am I missing? How can it be "original" with an alternator mounted on left frame rail?

So all the parts on yours are from the year of production? I'd love to see your tractors then. You must have a giant stash of NOS stuff too. Can I buy some? Thanks. I can heckle too.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 7:59pm
Great tractor, they helped bring AC to the front. In nice shape to be 70 years old! So the original genny gave out so someone went the cheaper route and put an alternator on it. No big deal, my D17 series I diesel had a alternator and a generator on it at the same time when I bought it! The reason was the generator also drove the power steering even though it no longer worked the electrical. Depends on how you want  your tractor to end up. Factory original, or updated to newer technology? Alternator is cheaper but I chose to have Steve@B&B Custom Circuits repair my generator so I could stay factory correct. The alternator was the first thing I removed. But you want to keep it? More expensive to repair the generator but I don't regret it at all. I had already decided to go down that road when I bought it. I repaired and replaced a lot of parts on it to get it to where it is today. I enjoyed the 8 month project so much, actually sad when I finished it lol. But now I get to farm with it and know that its going to be reliable. You have probably got a game plan and maybe a final decision on what your plans are. Its your tractor, advice is great on this site, what ever you do, enjoy it. You got a cool tractor with a lot of heritage.

Edited by AC720Man - 22 Jul 2024 at 8:17pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
dneprdude View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dneprdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 9:18pm
Thank you. I was actually glad it was converted to 12 volt. I'd like.to keep it originally equipped as possible, but upgrades are welcome since I will be using it some. I have always have had a project usually cars or motorcycles for the last 25 years or so, so this will be a great learning experience. I'll be looking for some implements soon, but need to track down a draw bar and maybe do a 3pt hitch conversion for ease. I'll keep everyone up on my progress.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 10:56pm
Welcome to the forum
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 6:44am
If your going to start looking for implements, then the 3 point conversion would be a good upgrade. It will allow you to attach modern implements as well as older 3 point implements after snap coupler went away. I have a snap coupler plow and blade for my D17. Also had a rollover plow but gave it to a friend as it needed too much repair. I have been looking at 3 point conversions occasionally but we are hay and beef farmers so the drawbar gets used more than my 3 point needs. Have plenty of other AC's with factory 3 point if I need it. I have the top link attachment installed, so it would be very easy to add the conversion at anytime. Just not on my priority list at the moment. Also have a WD narrow front that I have power steering to add to. That will make it a much better tractor, just haven't got around to it yet. 

1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 9:02am
I've had several of the 3pt conversions on AC snap coupler tractors,some worked better than others but none worked nearly as well as the 3pt on tractors that came originally equipped with 3pt.There is still a good amount of snap coupler equipment around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic