This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC LOGGING 2019 RESTORATION HAS BEGUN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC LOGGING 2019 RESTORATION HAS BEGUN
    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 8:41pm
Ok...thought I should start a post about the restoration and replanting of our 2019 logging project of our burned timber that we were able to salvage. This timber was planted in 1958 and burned in 2017. We started logging operations a year ago April 29th and finished in July...when the sawmill pretty much cut us off...didn't want any more salvage logs..even though they were ok.  So hoping to do a lot of work with different ACs for the prep work....might even get a 21C with a brush rake going. The only other off brand equipment should be our CAT 312 excavator....and TIMBCO 445 feller buncher. All this prep work will be done now...thru summer..fall...and early winter leading up till planting time  begging mid January...so my hope is to post with pictures and videos whenever there is progress...
   So some pictures of a year ago before we started logging...looked like this

photo P4270067_zpsiufdivzi.jpg

photo P4270066_zpsjhkdgvop.jpg
 photo P4270063_zps2ase4yyc.jpg
 photo P4270062_zpsvbjmurne.jpg
 photo P4270060_zpsedi0oh0u.jpg
 photo P4270059_zpsfzus9rzp.jpg
  So this is what it looks like today
   [TUBE]LS18YXqBaKw[/TUBE]

Sponsored Links

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:25pm
Cool thanks for sharing. What kinda operation do you have. Grow trees for lumber.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 8:20am
Thanks for sharing Mel.  
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 11:52am
Thanks here too! Was not aware so much was salvageable.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 12:39pm
I would think trunks on those large trees should have alot of salvageable lumber but I suppose after being dead after so many years they start drying out. Dangerous logging with dead branches and tops falling,best to use a machine with a safe cab.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:02pm
Thanks for sharing, interesting should look great when your done.
Steve A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 4:09pm
I'm surprised it's solid, salvageable and not blue stained/borers. I worked for Mich DNR in forest fire and forestry for 30 yrs. Every time we got into a large fire salvage situation the pine (red, white, jack) it had to be cut within a month or two at the most, or the beetles had it riddled with holes and stained. We dropped prices to less than half or a third original stumpage, and still didn't get a lot of bids due to short time window, windfall tangles to try to process and char issues with harvesting.    
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 9:35pm
That is too bad. There is a lot of board ft of lumber in that stand. Thank you for the pictures.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 1:20am
thanks for posting the pics MEL, I sure enjoy them and your stories!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 1:33am
you sure waste lots of good firewood! guess if ya hafta do it...hey...I know...on them piles that you can't get going...park one of them blue ugly trucks on top of the pile, they'll hold the logs and brush down tight so they burn better! less air pockets! (poke,poke)
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 10:14am
do you burn pine Shamer  
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 11:48am
Thanks Mel,
 Enjoyed your video and the nice Ford work trucks too! Wow lots of work there! You have the equipment!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 11:17pm
Ok...Let me answer some questions...before you get to far ahead of me.   Mike...our operation is anything for a "buck''   The business started out as sand and gravel...branched out into commercial logging in the 1970s/80s...general engineering contractors..migrated into precast septic tank manufacturing in the 1970s...so we could sell more gravel..gave up the gravel for septic tanks and waste water business.Gave up the logging too...kept our Timber Operators License current...don't know why....but now I do.
  Oh...forgot...we also have some cows we run on our property that's been in the family for over 100 years.   Oh...our Allis Chalmers affliction came from our father who had bought ACs back in the 1950s for his logging operations.  We just started year 48.

So Steve's right on also about some of the timber issues. The bug issue was a big one. That's pretty much what stopped us. Sometimes here in California you might get up to 3 years before the bug damage stops harvesting.  The Ponderosa Pine that we were harvesting did not have a blue problem...but the bugs were getting after it. Here's some pictures of bug damage....the logs we were harvesting were not this bad yet...these are some that we brought to our yard for possibly chipping for a biomass project
   photo P4160014_LI_zpsmqsrzioo.jpg
 photo P4160017_zpsha6esmmb.jpg
So Thomas wants to know if Shameless burns pine?....sounds to me like his preferred fuel is blue Ford trucks...LOL...don't want to tell him that my 05 Ford died 3 days before Thanksgiving...and I just got a new blue one in service yesterday.

Chris.....Mostly old AC equipment

So...Going to go check out the burn piles tomorrow...post pictures as soon as possible

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 11:25pm
I like your answer Mel thanks for sharing. You do nice work with everything you do.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 11:28pm
Dont those bugs make that expensive character wood Smile if you saw it for lumber now?
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:55am
Ok....DanWi...yes that character lumber is pretty cool stuff...but the sawmill just is not impressed that much with a steady diet of it.
  So I followed up on last weeks burning...it went well..thought I would try brush raking some of the burned pine trees that we were planning on cutting with the feller buncher.....more fun brush raking.
[TUBE]WIOcSyh9cp8[/TUBE]

This is ''THE MANS TRACTOR"

photo P4190019_zpsnwme3lbn.jpg
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:02pm
I could see a timber frame home with a pile of that wood sawed into boards for the interior walls.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 3:03pm
Sweet rake Mel, hard to imagine that Man's Tractor sits on the same rails as my little 7G.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:04pm
Here's an update video....if I don't do it as soon as I can ...it probably won't happen.
 Dave....I made some comments also about our 7G undercarriages
[TUBE]qfmhr0pAK-U[/TUBE]
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 5:13pm
Noted the width difference on 11B here of those bolt patterns as to my 7G, my Simmel rails are not truly square as to pattern but not that exaggerated as to width change.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 1:41am
thanks for the update MEL, yes Thomas i've burnt lots of pine, but none that could be used for firewood, just the smallest left over stuff. i didn't realize the bugs burrowed so deep into the logs, just thought they squiggled along the outside i guess! i burn piles of tree branches all winter long and sometime thru the summer too, my back is getting to bad to do to much more right now, and can't take the heat much anymore either, last few years i've been cutting trees at night with the help of some good lighting. lots cooler then. last few big trees i cut down, i had my truck parked about a foot away so i could lean against it while chain sawing the trees down. that worked pretty swell. anything 1-1/2 inches thick gets saved for firewood, no matter what kind of tree it is.  
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 9:58am
Ok..Here's another follow up. Trying to get burning done before May.  Usually after early May we stop burning due to fire season getting close.  We'll be able to continue piling all summer if we have time and burn after it starts raining in the fall. They won't plant trees until Feb.
[TUBE]nM1buND3jDQ[/TUBE]
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 11:06pm
man...you need sum tires on them piles!!!! 
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:44am
Great post Mel , i like the mans tractor 

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

man...you need sum tires on them piles!!!! 

Wink Good thing Mel doesn't have more friends like you.LOL

LOL This is the Land of Fruits and Nuts. Wink The only good smoke is from pot that has had all the taxes payed on it.LOLLOLLOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 3:31am
last time our local fire dept had a controlled burn ona old house...it sure was putting out alot of black smoke. you see...no one was watching/guarding that old house the night before! lol...ya'll figger it out!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

last time our local fire dept had a controlled burn ona old house...it sure was putting out alot of black smoke. you see...no one was watching/guarding that old house the night before! lol...ya'll figger it out!

LOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOL  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL                 
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:25am
Ok...A video of progress on our restoration project. The lumber being milled will be used to rebuild a camp ground that is near the logging site.  It should make Warrens' day...were using a Lucas mill...and some of these logs were skidded with the AC HD6...his favorite AC tractor.....Warren you out there?  Any way the Lucas mill is pretty cool and definitely cut high quality lumber. This "RENEWABLE RESOURCE"concept is pretty interesting too. We planted these trees 62 years ago...fire destroyed or killed them...we were able to salvage some to rebuild buildings that were burned as well as selling logs commercially to supply lumber to market. Seedlings will be planted this coming season to start the process all over again.  Not even going to mention the carbon sequestration that will happen with all the new seedlings...noooo

Edited by AC Mel - 30 May 2020 at 10:38am
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:29am
[TUBE]THnzmjbohkg[/TUBE]   Ok...that's better
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 3:24pm
Great stuff Mel.  Didn,t realise that you guys knew Warren Lucas.
Hes a great guy; has been over to see me and a sew other AC mates in new zealand, and have shown him around and even got a few 'treasures' for him. Was Alot of HD6s came to new zealand, probably more than anywhere else in the world. Is even alot of the very last batch made; 25000 series; here too.  
Will send warren a e mail today telling him about your video.
Cheers and thanks for sharing  Mel and Dave.
Mervyn Pepper.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic