This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC Letter Series Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Letter Series Comparison
    Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 2:18pm
I was bored today so I put together a little comparison spreadsheet...

Mostly from tractordata.com.  I know there are errors and measurement method issues for some items.  I just find it messy to try to compare with the tractordata.com data format.

Don't really know what the ballasted weight means.  Is that the max you should reasonably be able to achieve or max used for a particular pulling test?

Edited by dfwallis - 25 Nov 2023 at 2:32pm
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 2:55pm
My guess would be weight achieved once fluid was added to the rear tires? I’m sure there is a formula for tire and rim size for the amount of gallons each tire would hold. I’m not sure what that is though? Did they add fluid at the Nebraska proving grounds?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

My guess would be weight achieved once fluid was added to the rear tires? I’m sure there is a formula for tire and rim size for the amount of gallons each tire would hold. I’m not sure what that is though? Did they add fluid at the Nebraska proving grounds?

I don't think it can only refer to tire ballast.  For the CA, my 13.6x24 tires would hold a max of 400lbs each at 75% fill.  That would only get it up to 3635lbs.  And I doubt any of the Nebraska tests had 13.6 tires installed.

Edited by dfwallis - 25 Nov 2023 at 7:43pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 8:22pm
ballast weight is normally the weight of a machine plus additional weights added so that you can get the max draw bar horsepower at a given ground speed.... probably determined to get the most WORK out of the machine...with a fixed amount of wheel SLIP...   Normally that is about 130 pound per HP for a tractor...

so a 20 HP at the drawbar should be loaded to weigh 2600 pounds.... and a 40 HP tractor should be loaded to weigh twice that or 5200 pounds....... but that does not seem to jive with the above chart....

also this should be at a GIVEN ground speed... that could be a fixed 3 MPH, or it could be what ever ground speed you can get in 1st gear at the max drawbar HP point on a curve.

Edited by steve(ill) - 25 Nov 2023 at 8:23pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 6:58pm

How accurate are the plow bottoms?

Bottom cut width and soil type, what are the typical standards?

I have a 52 WD, mostly clay, and curious what plows I should watch for or avoid.

dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by jvin248 jvin248 wrote:

How accurate are the plow bottoms?

Bottom cut width and soil type, what are the typical standards?

I have a 52 WD, mostly clay, and curious what plows I should watch for or avoid.

I can't personally say for sure.  A CA can handle a 3-14 in good conditions.  I used to plow even in some areas with tree roots with the CA (with overbore kit so tiny HP increase over stock) and a 2-14 without too much difficulty.  I think a WD was billed as a solid 3 bottom capable tractor.  So I'd say 3-14 in good condition, properly adjusted and traction booster properly adjusted, necessary ballast,  should be able to handle just about any soil type.  I've seen various specs from 5-8 HP per bottom for the 50 and 60 series plows (and one source as high as 13HP)

Edited by dfwallis - 02 Dec 2023 at 8:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic