This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC HD20 TORQUE CONVERTER ISSUE?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC HD20 TORQUE CONVERTER ISSUE?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 9:58am
HELLO, I AM NEW TO THE FORUM. I AM NEEDING SOME POINTERS ON A ALLIS HD20 DOZER WITH THE 6-110 DETROIT. THE DOZER WAS FOUND IN A BARN THAT HASN'T BEEN OPEN IN SOME YEARS. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO GET THIS OLE GIRL OUT AND ON A TRAILER TO TAKE HER HOME WITH ME. IT HAS SAT FOR AT LEAST 14 YEARS. AFTER GOING THROUGH FUEL SYSTEM I MANAGED TO GET IT RUNNING OFF A AUXILIARY FUEL TANK MOUNTED ABOVE ENGINE. STEERING CLUTCH RESIVORE WAS DRY OF COURSE SO AFTER ADDING LOTS OF FLUID I CAN FEEL SPOOL VALVES OPERATING AND SUCH. EVERYTHING CHECKED OUT OK SO I ATTEMPTED TO SEE IF THE TRACKS START TO SQUEAK, THREW HER IN 1ST ENGAGED CLUTCH ENGINE IDLED DOWN AND DRIVE SHAFT MOVE SLIGHTLY. I THEN UPPED RPM AND DRIVE SHAFT MOVED A BIT MORE AS IF ITS TRYING TO TRANSFER POWER BUT NOT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BUDGE ON SPROCKETS OR TRACKS I TRIED 2ND AND REVERSE GEARS AS WELL WITH NO LUCK. 
I TRIED TO NARROW DOWN ISSUE AND I THINK TORQUE CONVERTER IS JUST NOT TRYING HARD AT ALL. I HAVE 45-60 PSI ON FUEL GUAGE BUT I STILL DECIDED TO TAKE OFF THE FUEL RETURN RESTRICTOR NEXT TO LEFT SIDE OF RADIATOR AND OF COURSE RESTRICTOR WAS COMPLETELY CLOGGED. I TOOK IT HOME AND CLEANED IT. I HAVE NOT BEEN BACK OVER TO REINSTALL BUT IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE TO CHECK AS FAR AS FUEL FLOW TO CONVERTER? I HAVE CHECKED PULL FORCE ON CLUTCH AND CHECKED GOOD AND THEIRS NO CLUTCH SMELL OR NOISE ANYHOW IN THAT AREA. HOPEFULLY THIS IS THE ISSUE SINCE I AM UNDER THE GUN TO GET THIS THING OUT ASAP. ITS BEEN A LONG JOURNEY FOR ME GETTING THIS JEWEL RUNNING SO GIVING UP ISN'T A OPTION. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED  
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 10:08am
If the engine idled back something is trying to pull. Is the parking brake engaged? HD20s were a little different animal.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 10:50am
I am thinking the HD 20 torque converter used diesel fuel for a fluid. I am not sure just how it was plumbed but it may not want to go, working from a small tank just hung on it. Not saying for sure it does, but I think some did use diesel.

As I remember the restricted fittings in the Jimmies they were in the head where the fuel exits to return to the tank and externally look like a common brass fitting. They provided the regulation to control the fuel pressure. Different engines and different tuning used different fittings with different orifice sizes. Still got a couple different ones in that special, must save, drawer in my tool box. What does the restrictor you took off look like? Possibly a little housing with a bunch of wafer plates inside it? I took a quick look on Minnpar's site and didn't see a parts manual for the HD 20 with a 6-110, will have to look more later.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:21am
We have several HD20s in our collection. The one we have run the most.. I think has 2 fuel pumps and 2 fuel gauges..one is dedicated to the torque converter fuel supply...that of course was added by somebody else. Doesn't sound like you have 2 gauges? That machine also had the auxiliary fuel filters that were plugged very bad. Check all of the fuel lines that run the torque converter and return lines. The converter won't work with out good fuel supply. The restricter  is supposed to keep 35-55 lbs of fuel pressure. When it's working good...the drive shaft should be spinning pretty good when in neutral and the clutch engaged.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:29am
Ok..also concur with Jim's comments..not sure how you have plumbed the temporary tank? But the fuel needs to get through the converter to work.
calvin long View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 12:05pm
AS FAR AS I KNOW THE BAND BRAKES ARE NOT APPLIED BUT COULD BE STUCK POSSIBLY. I KNOW THERES ADUSTMENTS UNDER FUEL TANK 1 ON EACH SIDE. I HAVEN'T MESSED WITH THE ADJUSTMENTS BUT I COULD. IT IS TRYING BUT HOW MUCH IS THE QUESTION. I WOULD THINK I WOULD SEE OR FEEL SOME KIND OF MOVEMENT IN DRIVE SPROKETS. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 12:10pm
YES IT USES DIESEL FOR COOLING. THE RESTRICTOR ON THIS ENGINE IS A SMALL CAN THAT SEPARATES AND HAS I METAL SCREEN AND THEN A .060 SIZE JET THAT SCREWS INTO THE BODY.
IT WAS COMPLETELY CLOGGED BUT THAT WOULD BE THE RETURN AFTER IT WENT THROUGH CONVERTER I BELIEVE   
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 12:14pm
is it possible the converter just doesnt have enough fluid yet since the fitting was plugged?  could be gummed up inside the converter with old diesel it may clog again.  i would run the return into a bucket to verify a good flow of clean fuel.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 22 Apr 2019 at 12:15pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 12:16pm
Diesel not for cooling for actual driving/operating fluid, that was the part I was trying to remember how worked.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 12:17pm
YES IT HAS A TOTAL OF 3 FILTERS. ONE BEING THE BIG HEAVY DUTY TYPE TO THE FRONT RIGHT OF THE OPERATOR. THIS IS NOW BYPASSED BUT OUT OF THAT FILTER IT GOES RIGHT TO THE PRIMARY SIDE OF FUEL FILTER BY THE FUEL PUMP WHICH IS WHERE I HAVE HOOK MY AUXILIARY TANK TO SO THE RETURN FUEL WOULD BE GOING TO THE MAIN TANK THAT HAS ALL THE OLD DIESEL SITTING IN IT. ALSO THE DRIVE SHAFT DOES SPIN JUST FINE WHEN IN NEUTRAL AND CLUTCH ENGAGED. 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 2:59pm
I'm wondering if the drive shaft really has any torque in it.  Maybe wrap a belt or rope around it and tie it to something and gently engage the clutch.  If it tightens up the rope, you have other problems, if it does't turn, the probably the problem is in the  torque onverter
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

I'm wondering if the drive shaft really has any torque in it.  Maybe wrap a belt or rope around it and tie it to something and gently engage the clutch.  If it tightens up the rope, you have other problems, if it does't turn, the probably the problem is in the  torque onverter

not a bad idea. i will have to try something to measure the applied torque. 
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:57pm
Ok guys.....been corresponding with Calvin on direct email. sent him several pages out of the parts book for converter and fuel lines. Told him to post us some pictures....or send them to me and I would try to post them.  Yep (he took the Darrel route and sent them to me) LOL.

photo 20190425_121927_zpsdatv2xme.jpg
Looks like it was a scraper pusher
 photo 20190425_121406_zpswmguuge4.jpg
 photo 20190302_142535_zpsyvzvsr7m.jpg
This looks like a very very nice specimen !! It definitely needs to be preserved.  Keep working on it...ask more questions here..whatever it takes to get it out of there. More pictures!...especially the one of you loading it on the lowbed to haul it home.   
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 4:47pm
Thanks for uploading the pictures for me. I will be out at the barn most of the day tommarow to work on the dozer.
I will deffenatly take more pics when she decides to crawl out of her den. I will touch base if i have any other questions or concerns. Thanks guys!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:26am
Out here working on the Dozer today. Here's where I'm at..... verified I have no air end primary fuel filter and fresh fuel supply fired up engine with secondary filter cracked and a few air bubbles come out then closed it off. Now keep in mind I just reinstalled my return filter restrictor that was completely clogged originally take a look at fuel pressure gauge and was reading 0 waited a few minutes and needle started bumping up and came up to about 40-50 psi. Left Transmission in neutral and engaged clutch to let drive shaft free Spin and fuel pressure dropped back down to 0 then slowly came up to around 40. Put transmission in first and re-engaged clutch engine idled down and I gave it some throttle drive shaft moved slowly about 90° like it might have been trying to pull let it run varying throttle for around 30 seconds or so returned back to idle still in first gear and clutch engaged and fuel PSI went down to 20 lb then i shut it down. Just curious do I need to let converter spin drive shaft in neutral for sometime to get fuel flow and build up pressure? I doubt 20 lb is enough.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 10:02am
sounds about right for a mechanical pump dropping at idle.  if this thing has been sitting a while the brake bands could be lightly stuck, the tracks a little tight,  its probably not going to move at idle.  that being said I think your on the right track.  wouldn't hurt to spin the trans in neutral to run some fuel through and sling some oil around in the transmission.  Did you verify oil and lack of water in transmission?  could be some surface rust  inside on bearings etc.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 12:26pm
Well I fired it back up and let converter spin in neutral for a few minutes I then put it in gear and Davidson throttle for 30 seconds or so I pulled down on both steering clutches a few times and let him go and all of a sudden pop she starts walking right out. I drove it out approximately 20 ft to see if it will steer and it didn't really want to but did not try the band brakes while operating steering lever either I backed it back in and shut it down couldn't believe it. Everything seemed really smooth when going forward and backward. This thing Hall's but in first gear if you wanted it to can imagine 2nd gear. Once I get main tank hooked backup I will test steering clutches more and see if Band Breaks will help steer it I have about 1/2 Mile Drive through the woods and a few turns through the trail to get it to the pasture.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 12:28pm
thats great.  they wont steer well without a load you will need to use the brakes.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

thats great.  they wont steer well without a load you will need to use the brakes.

Thanks I just figured that out by pulling back on the steering clutch and tapping brake.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Jim.ME Jim.ME wrote:

I am thinking the HD 20 torque converter used diesel fuel for a fluid. I am not sure just how it was plumbed but it may not want to go, working from a small tank just hung on it. Not saying for sure it does, but I think some did use diesel.

As I remember the restricted fittings in the Jimmies they were in the head where the fuel exits to return to the tank and externally look like a common brass fitting. They provided the regulation to control the fuel pressure. Different engines and different tuning used different fittings with different orifice sizes. Still got a couple different ones in that special, must save, drawer in my tool box. What does the restrictor you took off look like? Possibly a little housing with a bunch of wafer plates inside it? I took a quick look on Minnpar's site and didn't see a parts manual for the HD 20 with a 6-110, will have to look more later.

My HD16DC has a torque converter that uses the diesel fuel out of primary fuel tank. Maybe by bypassing the fuel tank the converter is starved for fuel.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 6:00pm

Sorry about the double pics above. Just wanted to show you guys taking a peek of daylight

Edited by calvin long - 26 Apr 2019 at 6:02pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 6:03pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:31pm
Judging from the gouge you got it moving!! Now would be time to get that winch functional to drag that nose Up!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 8:41pm
It'll sure take you a long time to build a pond with that monster of a blade.    Hope you get her going good. Everything I see looks good.. Good luck with her
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 8:44pm
It'll sure take you a long time to build a pond with that monster of a blade.    Hope you get her going good. Everything I see looks good.. Good luck with her
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Yea i chained up the stump ripper. Didn't whant it to drag when going out but as far as I know that's as high as it can go up because there's bunk plates further back towards middle track. The reason why I have it chained is because the front blade control slave cylinders were taken apart and laying on the floor board when i found her so I did not want to push my luck with that i just need to get her home now and then i will start hitting buttons lol
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 6:58am
Congratulations on your new find. It’s fun working on a unknown tractor and making her move again.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calvin long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 6:20am
Thanks for uploading the pictures for me. I will be out at the barn most of the day tommarow to work on the dozer.
I will deffenatly take more pics when she decides to crawl out of her den. I will touch base if i have any other questions or concerns. Thanks guys!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 7:38am
interesting it uses a slave cylinder to operate the winch.  even into the 60's the front hydraulic units and M100 front cable controls used long mechanical rods

Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 2:50pm
I,ve wondered about operating rear mounted cable controls that way Cal. As old age and weakening shoulders become prominent.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic