This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 5040 PTO Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierbsouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 5040 PTO Issue
    Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:46am
I have a 1979 AC 5040, The tractor runs great, Bush Hogging last week
disengaged the PTO, tried to re engage, now it slips on the shaft.

I pulled the cover off,  the PTO shift mechanism looks great to me.  
The book says I can pull the cover off the back of the transmission and pull
the entire PTO assembly out.

If the engagement gear is rounded off.

Where can I get a new one or have new one made.

The tractor runs great but I need that PTO

Any help greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links

Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 10:11am
what is meant by " now it slips on the shaft" ?
what or where is it slipping ?

Can you post a pic of what you suspect; either from the tractor you're working on or from the book ?

Edited by Gatz in NE - 04 Aug 2022 at 10:12am
Pierbsouth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierbsouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 10:34am
Thank You So Much for any help

I think I have attached to documents from the AC 5040 Service manual
with my mark ups showing what I think.

I believe the PTO Engagement gear may be rounded out
and does not get a full bite on the transmission shaft 
so the PTO does not get driven propoerly from the transmission

I can take photos to the area with the cover off and even pull the rear cover
from the transmission and pull the complete PTO

I really appreciate any helpuploads/23245/AC_5040_PTO_Photo_1.pdf
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierbsouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 10:40am
Here is another view of the PTO on the AC 5040uploads/23245/AC_5040_PTO_Photo_3.pdf
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierbsouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 11:01am
uploads/23245/AC_5040_PTO_Photo_4.pdf

I'm not sure the clearance betwee the transmission shaft and the PTO shaft is correct
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 2:08pm
Before taking the whole PTO assembly off, take a close look at both the sliding gear and the large gear for the suspect rounded teeth .
If neither has rounded or damaged teeth, it could be the shifter is at fault.
I recall the lever on mine had excessive play and I put a limiter on the transmission for a stop.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 2:28pm
ok, I see that the item in red is a collar, not a gear.
If the problem is not the shifter mechanism moving the collar into full engagement, then  yes, either the teeth on the input shaft to the left in the diagram or the internal teeth of the collar are worn or rounded. ( could be both)

I recall that the shift lever on mine was very sloppy and I put a stop or limiter on the xmsn cover to prevent it from moving too far.
Incidentally, the 2-stage clutch never seemed to totally disengage that input shaft and got to the point where I had to shut off the tractor just to get the PTO engaged without clashing the gears.  I contemplated making some kind of brake connected to the PTO lever to be able to ‘feather’ it in.  But, it got a new owner.

Edited by Gatz in NE - 04 Aug 2022 at 2:29pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 6:35pm
My comment about the lever being sloppy gave another thought...
are you sure the shift lever pin inside the cover didn't come out of the grove on the collar?

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierbsouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:58pm
I will take some photographs maybe you can see what I’m missing
I appreciate the help

Bradsdad View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradsdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 9:05pm
Mine had the same problem the teeth on the pto shaft were worn out I pulled the rear housing off and the pto shaft came out there was a little retainer with 2 bolts parts were readily available (north of the border)
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierbsouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 8:15am
Thank You So Much

I think my problem must be similar to your problem.

The parts supplier was "North of the Border"

I'll search for them do you have a link or phone number

I will post some photos as I get this project going 
I value all the input I can get on this

Thank You

Bradsdad View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradsdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 9:33pm
I get my parts from Import Tractor Parts in Canada they will ship and I have found them to be very reliable hth.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierbsouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 8:24am
I spoke with them yesterday

I was very impressed, they say these tractor are still being made and they have many parts on the shelf.

I appreciate your help, I'll try and get some pictures of this as I go forward with the repair
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic