This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 200 Oil Cooler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Husker200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 200 Oil Cooler
    Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 4:31pm
Picked up an AC 200 tractor last fall.  Recently developed a radiator leak so I took that out the other day to fix.  Little nervous after pulling it out.  What we dumped out was dark brown coolant with a little slug in the hoses.  Should have been green since over the past month I dumped 2 gal. of new anitfreeze (50/50) in it.  Motor oil is new and black still.  I haven't heard back from the radiator shop yet but they thought it was oil.  Could this be Bars Leak in the radiator or a possible bad oil cooler?  I'm not sure how to test the oil cooler on this.  Thoughts?  No other indications from the motor that I have a bad head gasket or such.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 6:05pm
Loosen the oil pan drain plug to just let some oil drip out, not take it right out and drain all the oil.  If you can put it in a glass jar what comes out let it run till there are a couple inches in the jar and then tighten plug and look at what you have.  It may be green antifreeze and not oil.  Do this after it has sat not running overnight is best indicator.  If the rad cap had a scum on it when you took it off it had oil in the antifreeze.  May have had it in it before you bought it or it may have come from a leak in your oil cooler.  When you put the rad back in pressure test the system.  If it will not hold pressure and you have no external leaks then most likely it is your oil cooler or head gasket could be as well.  I have not had an oil cooler (knock on wood) leak on a 301 but have had a couple on the 426 and a 466 IH and a couple of 855 cummins.
Husker200 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Husker200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 3:53pm
Thanks for the reply Amos.  Radiator shop called back today, said the radiator was shot but thought repairable from top to bottom but was going to cost a healthy penny.  I've started calling salvage yards looking for a good used radiator in the Midwest.  I asked about the oil and he didn't test it.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 6:22pm
If you're keeping and using it,I'd put the money in a quality recore.
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 12:11am
eisenmann supplies in madison ne just junked 3 200s. Two of them were in running condition before they junked them. Give them a call the one was way too good of a tractor to junk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic