This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 190 Gas Smoking blue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 190 Gas Smoking blue
    Posted: 24 Apr 2024 at 9:57pm
hey everyone. Looking for some advice on my Allis 190 again. it has started to smoke blue at idle and below 1500 rpms. under even a small load is burns clean and does not smoke. if I rev it past 1500 rpms it will run clears as day no smoke. I am assuming valves seals leaking oil. it has new Mobil Delvac super 15w-40 engine oil with a fresh filter. I am also wondering it has highish oil pressure. like 55-60 psi at 2200 rpm and like 45 at idle after being run on a 3 point tiller for 30 minutes.. I has a new copper tube and a Stuart warner Gauge. any idea what would cause this. could this cause it to smoke. and will it hurt it if I run it even though it smokes. also the tractor Is pretty low Houred only 3900 on tach

Thanks
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 5:37am
Gas or diesel?

If it's gas, have you run a compression test on it? Does the oil level go down after running it?

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 6:30am
Oil pressure is FINE. Blue smoke usually means oil burning. 3900 hrs is generally a lot of hours on a GAS engine (depending on what kind of life it has had) and I'd expect some oil consumption. How much oil does it burn ??? I'll bet very little and you are worrying about nothing at this point. There are no valve seals on that engine. Hurts nothing to run it as it is. 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 7:42am
Have you tried adding a little (either) Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil to the oil? Sometimes it helps.
Allis Eli View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 9:33am
it burn probably almost now oil. the word thing is I pushes some liquid oil out the exhaust. no Blowby and has a lot of power just smokes a bit. Also the previous owners put a half cup of oil in each cylinder when they parked it. could it have pushed this into the under the hood muffler. it only smoke after running 10-15 min. witch is kind of weird. it is a gas and has good comp
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Allis Eli Allis Eli wrote:

it burn probably almost now oil. the word thing is I pushes some liquid oil out the exhaust. no Blowby and has a lot of power just smokes a bit. Also the previous owners put a half cup of oil in each cylinder when they parked it. could it have pushed this into the under the hood muffler. it only smoke after running 10-15 min. witch is kind of weird. it is a gas and has good comp
Try working tractor up to operating temp for a decent duration ~ half a day? Full day would be even better. Give the engine a chance to burn off any excess oil from its cylinders/exhaust.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 9:37am
How long have you had this tractor? Is this all of a sudden? Like others have mentioned, try and give this tractor a decent work out, put on a plow or a disc/field cultivator for a steady 3-4 hours, and run at full throttle.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 9:56am
Have you run a compression  test on the cylinders and checked the vacuum?

Stuck or gunked up rings can increase oil consumption, blow-by and reduce power.
Years ago I used KREEN in an old JD combine which had sat for ten years.  The Navy could have used that combine for smoke screen duty.  After using KREEN, the smoke reduced and the power came up.  
The KREEN helped dissolve the gunk around the rings and let them expand.  Went from a quart of oil every 3 bins to a less than a quart per day.
KREEN is made by KANO Laboratories of Nashville, Tn.  They are the makers of KROIL.

Allis Eli View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 9:53pm
okay sounds good. I don't own a Disk or plow. I do have a three point tiller that I will use to give it a workout. it Did sit for around 5 years. after I till some with it and work it if it still smokes I will try KREEN.      

Thanks
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 8:14am
Do a leak down test on cylinders before and after you work it good in field 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 9:31am
So, run it 1500 rpm or more. Blue smoke is oil and is usually a fact of (engine) life and oil seeping by valve stems at high idle vacuum is likely cause. IF it runs smooth and has power - run it. The alternative i$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 10:44am
Myself- Id run it dont worry about it -   check the oil level every time you use it ; I always use straight 30 weight oil in an Allis gasser-

Edited by DougG - 27 Apr 2024 at 10:45am
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2024 at 12:34pm
My nephew has a D10 that has oil smoke if it idles very long. Starts great pull great. Does everything well. He just doesnt let it idle long. He's tickled pink
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 9:03pm
Seafoam in the crankcase has helped me on several old engines. Went from smokers to clean burning engines. Highly recommend it. I’m sure the other product is good as well. Just follow the directions on the can, works in either diesel or gas engines.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Allis Eli View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 9:29pm
okay thanks. my 190 is currently having carb issues I think just the needle and seat clog. I will get it fixed and then try sea-foam

thanks
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 4:53am
Seafoam in the gas tank will probably help your carburetor problem. 

I was never much of a "snake oil" fan, but Seafoam is an excellent product. I use it in all of the gas tanks of gas-powered engines that are not run a lot and all of my older gas tractors.
6080fwa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6080fwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 1:09pm
It may be used to only using w30 oil which is worth a try. Have a W6 international changed the oil out and put in 10w30. shortly thereafter it started to smoke at idle lots, thought i would have to do the rings. A old timer said it was that multigrade oil that was doing it. I changed back to w30 and the smoking stop. that was about 20 years ago and i still run w30 in it and have not done the rings and it does not smoke at idle like it did with the 10w30.  I think 15-40 is way too thick manual says w30 or 10w30. I would never run synthetic, the rings are likely unseating, try w30. I had a neighbor with a detroit water truck he used every day same smoking running 15w40 syn oil and i shared the same story. He figured he would have to do a engine rebuild on his detroit. Got rid of syn 15w40 and it doesnt smoke much any more, he was sure happy. try it for the cost of a oil change it is surely worth a try.  Smile
d19d d19lp 175d 190d 190gxt 190dxt 200 6080 7000 8010 9150 9190
Allis Eli View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis Eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 1:12pm
okay I will try W30 I am assuming get the good mobile one brand oil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic